Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PIC007

Why would you buy FS 11?

If through some miracle FS 11 was announced, what SINGLE improvement would influance your decision to buy it over staying with FSX/FS9?

I am pretty satisfied with FSX so I am curious what others think

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If it had a lot more realistic flight dynamics, that surely would.

Or if it was graphically totally superior to FSX that too.

Something less CPU intensive so it would run close to 60 FPS under full graphics load, thus, smoothing out the visual experience. That would entice me.

better graphics are always welcome. however, better API support for doing combat related addons would be a really worthwhile upgrade!

better graphics are always welcome. however, better API support for doing combat related addons would be a really worthwhile upgrade!

'Combat related' addons is the last thing I would be interested in for a civilian sim. There are already lots of options for combat flight sims.

Better performance, light and shadowing and a more advanced flight model would be enough for me to upgrade.

The sad thing is they were already 25% of the way there with 'Flight'.....somebody at MS just needed the balls to complete the job properly.

Realistic ATC for me.

This.

Plus more realistic simulation of weather. Real volumetric clouds, weather systems, radar support, a feeling of actually being IMC when in a cloud. Weather is one of the the single most important factors when making a go/no go decision in real world flying. FSX doesn't do the best job in this area.

'Combat related' addons is the last thing I would be interested in for a civilian sim. There are already lots of options for combat flight sims.

Agreed. I'll leave the combat to the combat sims.

PMDG support

Proper coding

Realistic graphics and effects

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

I just can't say it enough

Proper coding!

I'd buy a new sim for realistic weather... ie real IMC, clouds that don't suddenly appear out of nowhere when you flying along VFR, rain/snow effects on the planes.

Other than that I'm pretty content with FSX. XP10 has nice weather rendition but that's about all imho.

Ability to use all the new graphics technology in the new video cards/SLI and better use of the processor/multi core and more efficient code.

Otherwise, I am fairly ok with FSX.

Manny

New graphic engine. Provided everything else is also there. So you could say: FSX content and possibilities with MS Flight graphics.

If they made it i would buy it to show my support for the sim even if i stayed with fsx/p3d, I would class it as a plus if they did "not" make it backwards compatible, start with a clean slate for it so to speak as i think that is needed.. clear out all the very old legacy code and start again :)

Edit...

I would also buy it if it had an open sdk and the developers had the choice to sell through MS or the publisher of their choice.

'Combat related' addons is the last thing I would be interested in for a civilian sim. There are already lots of options for combat flight sims

I'll leave the combat to the combat sims.

Aaaaand I disagree. Combat sims are really nice, but all of them are very limited in specific ways like aircraft, map coverage, weather, graphics etc. Having a sim where I can fly anywhere in the world (like we do today in FS/XPL), looking great with sceneries and many other addons AND having the same sim for combat sorties is wet dream of every combat flightsimmer (well.. at least mine, but I think others would agree). Better than having gazillion specialized sims for different eras of flight, with different controls, graphics, physics... everything (and many of them only with limited singleplayer campaigns... that's not flightsimming, that's just playing the game).

And by the way.... in which universe is FS strictly civilian sim? I can't see a "Microsoft Civilian Flight Simulator" on my box. And why we are having Hornet in acc pack then? Yea... the combat itself is missing, but still...

But that's little OT.

Well, I guess there are so many things that needs to be improved it's difficult to name just one. But I say better and more efficent graphics engine, that could benefit from modern hardware and use modern technologies.

Aaaaand I disagree. Combat sims are really nice, but all of them are very limited in specific ways like aircraft, map coverage, weather, graphics etc. Having a sim where I can fly anywhere in the world (like we do today in FS/XPL), looking great with sceneries and many other addons AND having the same sim for combat sorties is wet dream of every combat flightsimmer (well.. at least mine, but I think others would agree). Better than having gazillion specialized sims for different eras of flight, with different controls, graphics, physics... everything (and many of them only with limited singleplayer campaigns... that's not flightsimming, that's just playing the game).

And by the way.... in which universe is FS strictly civilian sim? I can't see a "Microsoft Civilian Flight Simulator" on my box. And why we are having Hornet in acc pack then?

But that's little OT.

Well, I guess there are so many things that needs to be improved it's difficult to name just one. But I say better and more efficent graphics engine, that could benefit from modern hardware and use modern technologies.

I'll spare you the sarcasm. I much rather have specialized combat sims for the given aircraft, weapons, and combat theater. This is my opinion. No one said this universe was governed by a law stating MFS was strictly civilian. :rolleyes: On the other hand, I think it would be stupid fool hearty to focus resources in a civilian oriented sim on "weapons". That being said, VRS's Super Bug shows what FSX can do with some ingenuity.

Something less CPU intensive so it would run close to 60 FPS under full graphics load, thus, smoothing out the visual experience. That would entice me.

Would have to make proper usage of current hardware.

PMDG support

Proper coding

Realistic graphics and effects

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

I just can't say it enough

Proper coding!

+1

Also, I would like a FULL DX11 simulation that loads most of the scenery and autogen stuff to the GPU. In this scenario, we could run the NGX just about anywhere at 60FPS with a good GPU.

Newer updated clouds and weather is also VERY important for me. I am tired of FSX's failure of simulating weather realistically.

I much rather have specialized combat sims for the given aircraft, weapons, and combat theater...

In this I'm seeing the problem. There are so many aircraft and scenarios I would like to fly, but I can't because there are no specialized sims for that. In large-scale simulator like FSX with proper SDK being able to do such things, it would be only matter of time before developers would start releasing aircraft with capabilities like that and people could design custom missions for any scenario. All that in comfort of your well tuned and great looking simulator, with controls you're used to. I don't want to have 20 different simlators for every aircraft, and that's my opinion on the contrary. And I didn't wanted to disregard your opinion, but we are talking about "what if" non-existent simulator, so I'm not seeing a point behind rejecting something that does not exist and it's only in state of an idea and "what you wanna see".

Single? Hmm...assuming all the current features of FSX stay in, I would want to see an accurate role playing aspect to the sim. Having to manage your pilot character fully in a career as a major airline pilot or owning and being the sole pilot of your own private plane service. Manage money, flights, schedule stuff, have deadlines, plane/food/lodging expenses, etc, etc,...

I absolutely love FSX now. However, if Microsoft were to give us ANY upgrade as they have in the past, my $$$$ would be ready to go! Yes, consistent weather, a less CPU intensive sim, and upgraded (more realistic flight dynamics) simulation overall would be really very welcome. I'm hooked on Force Feedback, so with Russell Dirks' help (FS Force), I'd like to add real turbulence feel to the stick.

I thought FLIGHT could eventully get there, but I can't cry about it now. Too bad MS didn't invest in the sim to bring all of this about. See....I'm not too hard to please.

Stan

a less CPU intensive sim

Not to single you out but I keep seeing this over and over.

One thing I have noticed with FSX is that it's AI that kills the sim performance more than any other single thing. On my computer I can go from 60 FPS to 10 just by going from 0 traffic to 100% with no other changes. Even using REXE, even at the most advanced airports, etc...

Am I the only one to notice this? Do "online" flyers have a problem with FPS? I have a VASTIM account but I have never flown online.

The one thing I want at least from my observations is the ability to offload AI onto an/other CPU core/s which I believe would solve most of our problems with "less than stellar" sim performance.

-on topic-

The one thing I really want though, for me is better weather. Even with REXE Thunderstorms just don't look scary at all. Nothing like their real world counterparts for sure. I want to see a thunderstorm just once in FSX that actually makes me think twice about flying through it. That looks like it would rip my plane apart just getting near it, make it something to actively try and avoid.

Something that does not require a total revamping every 2 years and permits current add-ons to work so we ALL don't have to keep buying things over and over. Ya, I know, impossible...FS9 for me, only wish it had a round world.

Slightly better graphics than Flight, similar "feel" to Flight, and the ability to use existing aircraft add-on's