Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Why would you buy FS 11?

I wouldn't buy FSX11. After two epic fails (FSX and now Flight), MS is out of the flightsim business. I would/will be moving on to P3D. I wanna see what an aviation company can do with the code.

Not quite sure I'd consider FSX a failure if its still selling many years after its release and 3PD are still making add-on's for it. Hell, I just started using FSX 3 months ago and I'm having a blast, especially after the limitations of Flight.

By "epic failure" I was talking about the reception that FSX got when it was released which in turn contributed to the disband of the flight simulator series. Sure, I still use it today as well and enjoy it. But I think it is because of all the 3rd party add-ons, evolution of hardware, tweaks and tips, and the great support of simmers which has created a whole new sim.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

By "epic failure" I was talking about the reception that FSX got when it was released which in turn contributed to the disband of the flight simulator series. Sure, I still use it today as well and enjoy it. But I think it is because of all the 3rd party add-ons, evolution of hardware, tweaks and tips, and the great support of simmers which has created a whole new sim.

FSX's reception did not have to do anything with Aces being fired, as said in here. Microsoft planned on making Flight since 2009, and just for that reason they fired Aces.

Are you a politician by any chance?

Hee hee, nice one...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

PMDG support

Proper coding

Realistic graphics and effects

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

Proper coding

I just can't say it enough

Proper coding!

Well I've Googled it several times and I still find no reference to the "Proper language"?! :wacko:

...but I think we get your point! :LMAO:

What was it Again?

"PROPER CODING"? ^_^

Geoff Brown

Don't forget to mention SP2 here. Much was fixed with it. It was no epic failure any more after it being released.

If I somehow knew I'd be able to spend more time flying than tweaking

Gets my Vote B)

Geoff Brown

Most addons have gotten around every negative from the FSX engine, except the graphics engine. FSX11 needs to run properly on DX11 with the latest hardware so we don't struggle to get 30 FPS with all sliders maxed

Gotta go with realistic ATC.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I would buy FS11 if it added the ability to configure local airports with custom sounds, music, and animated objects (people, cars, animals, and birds), including fixed and random path/gesture control. In addition, I want a first person experience with the ability to walk from car to terminal to cockpit, then reach for and operate virtual switches and gauges.

Can I have one more feature? Allow me to populate and see passengers (an empty 747 is not as real as it gets).

That felt good. Thanks for asking! :smile:

I hope that the developers of RC5 read this thread. We need a fully operational and improved ATC!

If we use X-Plane X as an example, it's missing airports, complex airplanes, REX like features for weather, AI, seasons, ORBX like sceneries, ATC, etc, and there are simmers that are still excited about it.

I'm extremely grateful that we have FSX. IMO it will continue to get even smoother, especially when CPUs get faster.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

One among these:

• Voice-controlled ATC + STARs/SIDs request/assignment (and some holds, if enabled, why not?)
  • Per-plane flight control settings.
  • Better turboprop simulation, and some flight model (and "ground model) improvements, some already added in flight. Some turbolence modelling would be nice as well....

If they add all of them plus some visual enhancements I'm ready to spend $200+ for such product....

In addition, I want a first person experience with the ability to walk from car to terminal to cockpit, then reach for and operate virtual switches and gauges.

Ehmmm.... that is Flight "The Sims", or something alike....

One more very important thing... To be able to use all the memory we can have installed.... Instead of the silly max 3/4Gb. I still run into memory problems with win 7 64bit.. its ridiculous.

That's the problem of being a 32 bit application (they can't target more than 2-4GB of RAM depending on what systems they run on). When FSX was released it couldn't be a 64 bit app because 64 bit OS were not widespread yet. Today it would be a silly idea not making it a 64 bit app - it could also target some newer processor (and GPUs) and take advantage of some more performant features - at the price of cutting out some older systems.

But with Flight instead they took the opposite approach - trying to make it run on older systems in an attempt to broaden the customer base. The problem is FS should be a high-end niche product or a lower-end wider one, IMHO Flight shown that the latter approach doesn't work, especially when the average user finds a $9 airplane expensive. Probably is better to target a smaller market where users don't find a $39 airplane expensive as long as it is good enough (and may probably spend more if it is really worth the incresed price).

If we use X-Plane X as an example, it's missing airports, complex airplanes, REX like features for weather, AI, seasons, ORBX like sceneries, ATC, etc, and there are simmers that are still excited about it.

Hmmm. Not so sure about X-Plane missing complex aircraft. There's quite a few now that are very impressive.

As for a hypothetical FS11 my vote(s) go for:

- Better ATC. More realistic/complex procedures. Phraseology reflecting the part of the world (at least get the differences between North America and Europe). Regional accents so we don't have every controller and pilot in the world speaking with an American accent. Maybe even integrate voice recongition a la VoxATC so we can actually speak to the simulated ATC.

- More realistic runway and ground handling i.e. reduced braking on slick or icy runways, skidding, aquaplaning etc.

- More natural lighting effects for different times of the day and weather conditions.

- Vastly improved night lighting effects - urban areas, roads and highways, panel lighting, etc etc.

- A more complex weather engine that depicts weather systems. Perhaps visible airframe icing.

- Better visibility effects.

- A graphics engine that properly utilises contemporary hardware.

- Better damage modelling. Give us the opportunity to blow a tyre on landing, damage the airframe in violent manoeuvres and turbulence, etc etc, maybe even birdstrikes!

- Proper engine damage modelling. No more slamming the throttles open and leaving the engines at max power all day long with no consequences.