Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Is x-plane 10 worth it?

The problem is Austin Meyer needs to get a better understanding of what is desired by the market. Stable code releases, no radical, add-on breaking code changes every 5 minutes, and a more welcoming and user-friendly interface just to name a few items that will help solidify X-Plane into a viable replacement and will attract more 3PD's.

I agree with you. But IMO, I think the graphics in x-plane 10 does beat FSX now, I think even with addons. The cloud rendering in X-plane 10 is impressive to me. Even the plausible world, it looks so much better than the old FSX. So the graphics are better than FSX with addons for now. Now the flight model. Sometimes I think that X-plane flight model is worse than FSX. It really just depends on actual aircraft model itself though. And the aircraft and engine sounds, need to be improved. There still way behind FSX. :( IMO, X-plane 10 is worth it for me. I'm buying it this Christmas, and I'm excited to have a new flight sim in my hand. I'll be having lots of fun using the new 747-400, and taking them on some flights that are medium haul and sometimes long haul. But that's what I like using flight sims for. One question for you guys, is the ATC usable in X-plane 10, just like FSX? Thanks very much!

Thanks, Adam

Adam,

Can't disagree a whole lot with you there. And trust me, I'm enjoying X-Plane immensely. I'm just mainly pointing out the issues that lie beneath the surface of what we see that really affect the viability of the add-on market. The good thing about FSX, for example, is that there aren't sweeping changes made to code that affect how add-ons interact with the program every couple of weeks. This is pretty obvious, considering the program is no longer supported from a development standpoint from Microsoft.

This benefits 3PD's because they know that the software they write to interact with FSX is going to behave more predictably, and the lifetime of product use by their customers will be of a sufficient amount of time to add value to the purchase. The developers also keep their own value high in that they don't have to constantly update their products (with the expectation from their customers that the updates will be free) to fit the host software, which takes resources away from other, newer products they could be developing.

From a business standpoint, it's understandable why the third party devs are hesitant to commit to developing complex aircraft, especially since many of the tweaks that come with each update have to do with the flight model.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

I've used FSX for years, but I'm starting to like X-Plane 10 also now. There is a learning curve since it is a whole different simulation, but with the fact that Aerosoft and Carenado are building for it and aircraft like the new Ramzzee's Boeing 777 has been released, it is getting right up there with FSX.

Does anyone have screen shot of cloud shadowing in XP10?

I have flown in different weather and am just not seeing it, unless it's very very subtle.

Also, has anyone tried the STMA Super Cub in XP10?

It looks like a fun bush plane but was written for v9.

Thanks!

I have flown in different weather and am just not seeing it, unless it's very very subtle.

Thanks!

XP9 definitely has cloud shadows, but I never saw them in XP10!

I have the STMA Cub, it's a nice plane, not on par with the Carenados graphics wise, but fun to fly.

It's rather sensitive on controls, but still believable.

I took it up for a short flight in XP10.10 RC1 and all seemed fine.

XP9 definitely has cloud shadows, but I never saw them in XP10!

XP10 also has them, although they are hard to see. Press J or K for changing the time of day and you will see them moving. Until XP10.02 (or was it 10.03?) they were visible much better. I filed a bug, but unfortunately they didn't return to the status we already had. It's a pity, because that was one of the features I liked so much in X-Plane.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

XP10 also has them, although they are hard to see. Press J or K for changing the time of day and you will see them moving. Until XP10.02 (or was it 10.03?) they were visible much better. I filed a bug, but unfortunately they didn't return to the status we already had. It's a pity, because that was one of the features I liked so much in X-Plane.

OH yes, my bad! Now I see them! I honestly didn't take notice of them before.

Thank you!

Well guys, thanks for the pictures! I know already that I will like X-Plane 10. B) I actually do really need a new simulator since I never had addons for FSX. So really nothing else to say, but thanks for all your help!

Thanks, Adam

Is the x-plane 10 64 bit out yet? And if anyone can recommend what kind of computer I should be using with x-plane 10, please tell me. I'm going to be getting a new computer soon. Thanks!

This is off topic. Please keep the conversation on topic. Thanks!

Jim Young

Forum Moderator

Not to threadjack or anything, but speaking of that DC-3, is it equipped with a Sperry?

Please keep posts on topic. This is a question that should be posted in another post. Thanks!

Jim Young

Forum Moderator

Thanks!

Off topic! Please post your questions in a new post!

Jim Young

Forum Moderator

Well guys, thanks for the pictures! I know already that I will like X-Plane 10. B) I actually do really need a new simulator since I never had addons for FSX. So really nothing else to say, but thanks for all your help!

Thanks, Adam

Thanks Adam. With that and your satisfaction with the topic you started, I will now lock the topic from any further discussions. Thanks!

Jim Young

Forum Moderator

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10