Sign in to follow this  
glenm

Coolsky DC-9 Released!

I guess there is still the Milviz 737 to pin one's hopes on. My quest for a pleasing vintage jet continues unfortunately.

Folks rarely mention LeonardoLH MD80, but this is a must have aircraft.It has a ready to fly state for those users who don't want the complexity; it has also the most accurate and detailed systems for those people who want the full monty. The flight model is just as good as the NGX. It's a bit aged, and for some people it does not appear to run well. In my case, it's a beauty to fly. tc

I love that plane. The most complete plane for FSX (if we disregard the graphics) to this date IMO. Better than the NGX!

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I love that plane. The most complete plane for FSX (if we disregard the graphics) to this date IMO. Better than the NGX!

+1 a very complete simulation, love the Maddog

Zach the release package includes "standard definition" textures, while McPhat Studio's livery packs include UHDT textures, witch u must pay for :wacko: . McPath will release some free UHDT liverys, first one is Delta Widget coming very soon :rolleyes: look at their FB page.

Thanks Robert,

That's right. I actually picked up the Northwest/USAir/etc. package today. I enjoy the repaints, but I'm mostly talking about the 3D model. Some elements of it seem "crude". ie The engine nacelle, fans, and fan "guards" seem lackluster. I agree purchasing the McPhat liveries is expensive and I'm not a fan of paying $15 for only three liveries I'll use, but they are pretty darn pretty!

Zach,

That's a very polite and classy way of reminding people of the rules. I much prefer seeing this style of moderating than some of the others who seem to enjoy bringing down the hammer. Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I try not to step on anyone's toes! Just don't make me angry. ^_^ j/k

+1 a very complete simulation, love the Maddog

I'm a huge Leonardo Maddog fan, but it's lack of support lately and the crude implementation into FSX has me shelving that add-on recently. It's still one of several must have transport add-ons.

As far as classic jetliners go, I think this Coolsky DC-9 is an instant classic. I'm enjoying it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

As far as classic jetliners go, I think this Coolsky DC-9 is an instant classic. I'm enjoying it.

Its good that some people are enjoying this plane. But, an "instant classic?" Well, maybe with a lot more work, but my inclination at present is to erase it from my hard drive. Maybe, and hopefully, I'm in the minority there. I haven't been this dissapointed in a plane in quite a long time. Its feels worse really, because I think it gives a taste of what could've been, but then doesn't follow through. Just my opinions obviously, and not trying to detract from those who like it.

Its good that some people are enjoying this plane. But, an 'instant' classic? Well, maybe with a lot more work, but my inclination is to erase it from my hard drive. Maybe I'm in the minority there. I haven't been this dissapointed in a plane in quite a long time.

I'm not trying to antagonize you, but what exactly is your issue with the add-on? Besides a very few rough rough spots with it being a brand new add-on, I'm not seeing any blaring issues.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The plot thickens!!!

I review a ton of FSX stuff, so the fact that this aircraft was running like a slug for myself, and a great many others, really bugged me. I mean, REALLY bugged me. Bugged me to the point that I decided I'd start knocking things out. I messed with FSX settings but to no avail. As I said in a previous post I even started tweaking my overclock in case there was an issue there. Then I started removing things. Just an addon here, and addon there. Nothing. So, I uninstalled FSX completely. Every single addon, aircraft, scenery pack etc etc. I reinstalled, patched, put the standard CFG tweaks in, added back FSUIPC (I can't live without that), MyTraffic (don't know why), and the DC9.

I now have this aircraft sitting on the tarmac at a busy airport, every slider except autogen and effects maxed (Autogen on normal, effects medium), and guess what. I'm now hitting an average of 38fps which puts it in the same bracket on my machine as the NGX.

What this means is that something is conflicting with the DC9. I don't know what it is just yet, but I've backed up my entire FSX install and I'm going to start adding stuff back piece by piece, stuff like REX, the various Orbx libraries, Radar Contact, Accufeel, Aircraft and so on and so on. I'll let you know if I find one that suddenly breaks it, then we know which addon is causing the conflict.

That certainly explains the widely varying performance reports. I'm probably not the only one looking forward to the feedback (not sitting on the fence as such... I've exceeded my FSX budget lately...).

Cheers

Mike

I'm not trying to antagonize you, but what exactly is your issue with the add-on? Besides a very few rough rough spots with it being a brand new add-on, I'm not seeing any blaring issues.

No problem. I'm most certainly seeing blaring issues. Why is it that my graphics corrupts with this aircraft? Why is the sound so weak and unconvincing? Why do I run out of thrust when trying to climb to the charted optimal altitude. Why does the flight director not behave like the manual says it should? Why does this plane need to go into a hair-raising dive when trying to descend by the book at idle? Why does the cruise thrust chart in the manual say it should give me X, and it doesn't? That isn't very realistic. Why have I started to notice fatal errors when I try to exit FSX after using this airplane? Some of these issues have been reported by others, some haven't, some are just personal preferences I guess.

I guess that I've been flying planes by PMDG and others for too long and my standards are just quite high for what I expect out of an expensive payware airplane. Nobody wants a classic jetliner more than me, but this just leaves me unhappy.

so far one thing is certain, approx 50% of simmers have under performing hardware

ZORAN

No problem. I'm most certainly seeing blaring issues. Why is it that my graphics corrupts with this aircraft? Why is the sound so weak and unconvincing? Why do I run out of thrust when trying to climb to the charted optimal altitude. Why does the flight director not behave like the manual says it should? Why does this plane need to go into a hair-raising dive when trying to descend by the book at idle? Why does the cruise thrust chart in the manual say it should give me X, and it doesn't? That isn't very realistic. Why have I started to notice fatal errors when I try to exit FSX after using this airplane? Some of these issues have been reported by others, some haven't, some are just personal preferences I guess.

I guess that I've been flying planes by PMDG and others for too long and my standards are just quite high for what I expect out of an expensive payware airplane. Nobody wants a classic jetliner more than me, but this just leaves me unhappy.

Thanks for humoring me. I can see where you're coming from, now. As a regular NGX user (I purchased that a/c the night it was released, despite the server crash), my standards have been greatly raised as well. The thing is, this is the most "complete" classic jetliner I've ever owned since the old favorite Dreamfleet 727 for FS9 (what a great add-on that was).

Since we've both mentioned the NGX, I'll remind everyone that she, too, had her growing pains. The a/c was completely unusable for most users at launch (and a week after) due to a very bad CTD. Not to mention a plague of OOMs and autopilot issues. Now the NGX is "the" benchmark add-on! I do realize you specifically mentioned that most issues will probably be addressed in a patch -- I'm just emphasizing. More often than not the 1.0 release of an FSX add-on is riddled with bugs.

At any rate, I'm glad to see the DC-9 getting some love. Coolsky has a good reputation, so I'm certain we'll be getting our fix before long.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Dreamliner 727? You mean the Dreamfleet 727? Boy, I'd die a happy simmer if that were ported over to FSX. Definitely one of my all time favorite birds.

Dreamliner 727? You mean the Dreamfleet 727? Boy, I'd die a happy simmer if that were ported over to FSX. Definitely one of my all time favorite birds.

That one!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules