Sign in to follow this  
hayhay7789

PMDG 737NGX - Out of Memory with 8 Gigs of RAM

Hi hayhay

No my tuppence worth

Some have said it maybe in a bit of a rude way but yes Laptops are not the thing to use for FSX. They just aren't powerfull enoughand especially not a MAC.

Take note what HAmmer said. Go there and tweak your cfg automatically that can help.

I believe loads of people had this problem when they installed the PMDG 737 NGX. It also hit me but I got the problem solved with alot of tweaking and it is

working increadably well now. And one more thing it ios WELL worth it to invest the time to tweak FSX and your system as a whole. PMDG 737 NGX has set new standards in Virtual Flying. And we need a better base program (FSX is out of touch) and yes a powerful PC is needed.

Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Also, It doesn't matter one bit if you have 8 Gigs of RAM or 16 Gigs of RAM. FSX is a 32-bit program, meaning the most it will use is 4 Gigs of RAM max. If you have a lot of excess apps running, along with the operatng system, all of that is going to take a slice out of the 4 Gigs being used.

This is false.

The Operating system will not take up the FSX's allotment of 4G, it takes its own from your 8G you stated you had.

ONLY FSX takes up to 4G. UT2 is a seperate app even though initiated by FSX, communication done through symconnect

I found the best way to avoid exceeding 4G is not to use 4096 clouds, limit LOD to 4.5 (standard high setting), lower scenery and autogen by one notch from highest. And if you are flying into a dense custom scenery, monitor your FSX load using something like sysinternals process explorer .

Also a good idea to run an autosave

Get a modern Gaming PC ? (Not a Mac)

I got my Mac for college just about a year ago, I don't really want to go out and buy a really pricey gaming desktop when I already have a computer

My system is a Mid-2010 Apple MacBook (polycarbonite/white) with 8GB of RAM, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and a 256GB Hitachi hard drive. I'm using BootCamp to play FSX. BootCamp has a 64-bit Windows 7 installed on it.

I'm no expert on memory management, but I know a fair amount about different Mac laptops. The Macbooks have no dedicated graphics processor; they use Intel integrated graphics which is part of the CPU. Until very very recently, Intel integrated graphics were junk - think 10x slower than a mid level graphics card in the same year.

The Macbook PRO is a very different story. They have decent graphics processors, although certainly less than a high-end gaming machine. My present MBP with retina display has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB . But this machine costs 2x a low-end Macbook.

Check the specs on your machine. (Use "About this Mac" on the Apple menu.) I'm not sure lack of a graphics processor explains the out of memory error, but it does mean you will never get a reasonable frame rate. Sorry.

The Macbooks have no dedicated graphics processor; they use Intel integrated graphics which is part of the CPU.

Actually my computer has a Integrated NVIDIA 320M with 256MB of shared video memory.

but it does mean you will never get a reasonable frame rate.

Very recently I've been getting 30+ FPS.

I got my Mac for college just about a year ago, I don't really want to go out and buy a really pricey gaming desktop when I already have a computer

Good point, and good move in buying a Mac for COLLEGE, and not a gaming computer. !

If you Concentrate on College now, and do not waste too much time with Flightsim, you will gratudate high, get a well paying job, and then be able to buy a much faster, expensive gaming computer, that will run whatever state-of-the-art Flight Sim is around after you graduate.

Actually my computer has a Integrated NVIDIA 320M with 256MB of shared video memory.

Very recently I've been getting 30+ FPS.

The 320M is decent. But exactly what computer do you have? According to a quick check, the 320M appeared in a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Is that what you have?

In any case, back to your original question: memory error.

This issue puzzles me. MY computer only has 2GB of RAM, and I never have a memory outage during a flight. All of my settings are kept at Medium-Very High depending on the setting.

-Jeremy Chesney

Sorry to say that but it seems you'll never be able to run FSX without problem with your settings at least that what i think, may be wrong, but you'll need to eork hard tweaking and stuff, good luck mate enjoy the college girls(;

I have run FSX with the NGX on my iMac using higher setting than yours without any problems. The difference though is that my iMac is equipped with an ATI HD 5770 graphics chip with 1 GB VRAM. If you can only dedicate 256 MB of VRAM, then this is surely what is causing the issues you're experiencing, as FSX wants to you use more than just 256 MB and cannot.

As far as your system memory is concerned, you may want to check out one of Word Not Allowed's great tips ( thanks Word Not Allowed :-) ), as it certainly has helped me in having less memory-related problems:

http://#####.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/oom-out-of-memory-helperfix/

Cheers,

Jerome

The 320M is decent. But exactly what computer do you have? According to a quick check, the 320M appeared in a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Is that what you have?

In any case, back to your original question: memory error.

Nononono.

I have a white MacBook. The white plastic one. I bought it in 2011.

It came with 2GB of memory, but I upgraded it to 8GB.

The graphics card is a NVIDIA 320M with 256MB of shared memory.

I may soon replace my Hitachi 256GB HDD with a 512GB SSD from Crucial.

... Also remember the space must be contiguous. ...

... what matters is that you need a continuous block of addresses, not a continuous block of physical memory."

As I said, Its virtual, not physical. Not only does it not have to be contiguous, there is nothing you can do to influence whether it is contiguous or not.

As I said, Its virtual, not physical. Not only does it not have to be contiguous, there is nothing you can do to influence whether it is contiguous or not.

I said we were talking about Virtual Address Space (VAS), not Physical Memory. As for the rest of it, you go on believing that, you'll be OOMing in no time!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I said we were talking about Virtual Address Space (VAS), not Physical Memory. As for the rest of it, you go on believing that, you'll be OOMing in no time!!

I do apologise, I must have misunderstood you when you said "Also remember the space must be contiguous".

Something you contradict in your quote titled "Address Space Fragmentation" where you said "...you need a continuous block of addresses, not a continuous block of physical memory..." and the very second sentence in the article you linked to, where it said "Every application running on your operating system has its unique address space, which it sees as a continuous block of memory. In fact the memory is not physically continuous (it is fragmented), this is just the impression the operating system gives to every program and it's called virtual memory."