Sign in to follow this  
machie

In Flight realistic ATC Programs with Chatter

I know the developers of ProATC are working on this capability of interactions with AI but I will be shocked if it works as it is a very complicated process.

Hello Jim

I will buy PRO ATC once this feature is working, All three of the other ATC programs, PFE, RC and VoxATC have implemented this feature so it is very much possible, even the freeware AiSmooth manages it to a degree.

AISmooth can put them even in a hold, so its possible for an atc program to route a Ai anywhere.

A good atc program can let them even fly a sid or star, and that would be awesome.

Together with UT2 we have real traffic flow!

Another vote for PFE. It's certainly a zillion times better than Radar Contact from an immersion point of view, if not quite there in terms ease of use and reliability. There are a few quirks however, in that there must be some language code inside FS which tells it which voice set to use. Flying around the Caribbean for example, throws up some quirks. Some of the islands are French, some are Dutch, some are British but the language you would expect to hear would be West Indian. PFE in its wisdom sees the British sound code for say, Antigua and plays you a clip of the Antigua controller who sounds like he is from deepest Manchester! This does detract from the realism a little but it's still a great programme.

So are you guys able to say which is better? PFE or Pro ATC? I am sitting on the fence and would be happy with either, although PFE is roughly $20-25.00 less. Thanks!

hello

No, it is not just the chatter aspect, I do not want to hear pre-recorded wav files looping in the background that bear no relation to what is going on around my aircraft, what I want and both PFE and Radar Contact provide it, is a dynamic ATC environment that talks not only to you, but also to the other aircraft around you.

An ATC program that talks only to the player and relies on pre-recorded chatter for ambiance is a step backwards, hopefully PRO ATC will address this soon, as looping chatter files is just too repetitive and cheesy.

No problem, :smile: but with all due respect, you're not the OP. My suggestion was aimed at the OP who seemed to bear some weighting on good quality chatter ambience.

Another vote for PFE. It's certainly a zillion times better than Radar Contact from an immersion point of view, if not quite there in terms ease of use and reliability. There are a few quirks however, in that there must be some language code inside FS which tells it which voice set to use. Flying around the Caribbean for example, throws up some quirks. Some of the islands are French, some are Dutch, some are British but the language you would expect to hear would be West Indian. PFE in its wisdom sees the British sound code for say, Antigua and plays you a clip of the Antigua controller who sounds like he is from deepest Manchester! This does detract from the realism a little but it's still a great programme.

Not to be picky but there is no such language as "West Indian". (or did you mean accent?). The official language of Antigua is English, so PFE is getting it right language-wise ....... but clearly not accent-wise! :lol:

PFE in its wisdom sees the British sound code for say, Antigua and plays you a clip of the Antigua controller who sounds like he is from deepest Manchester!

Hello

You can change that behaviour in the options

I have been using Pro Flight Emulator (PFE) together with FDC Live Cockpit (FDC) for a number of years now and I can highly recommend them. PFE replaces the default ATC and includes many voice sets with different English accents, taxi guidance system both verbal and visual and many other improvements. FDC acts as a copilot, performing checklists ext. also has cabin crew announcements, again with different accents. You can buy them individualy or together. They have been tweaked to work together.

Ray

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

So are you guys able to say which is better? PFE or Pro ATC? I am sitting on the fence and would be happy with either, although PFE is roughly $20-25.00 less. Thanks!

Go for PFE. It's well established. Pro ATC is still in its infancy and may or may not improve. PFE does what it says on the tin. And is really quite flexible once you understand its workings.

Well, you know a lot of West Indians live in the UK and have English accents!!! Maybe the one you heard was on holiday seeing his family. It's certainly not as unnerving as being introduced to someone with an Italian name who replies with a very strong Scottish accent!!! (due to many pow's settling in Scotland after the war)

Thanks for helping me make my decision-- PFE. If anyone else is interested, its on Aerosoft for $40 and change. Between FSX addons and the Steam sale, my head is spinning! :)

I'm currently using VOX ATC which is outstanding. For chatter - I simply put on winamp with http://www.liveatc.n...ap/feedmap.html and just tune in the arrival frequency of where I'm flying into. Simple and gives me exactly what I want.

That's great and realistic for you, but for others who cannot use liveatc because they don't fly in the US it's frankly useless.

That's great and realistic for you, but for others who cannot use liveatc because they don't fly in the US it's frankly useless.

Ok - but look at the link and you will clearly see its available worldwide.

The AI chatter ability you talk about is a bit more realistic and not really my cup-of-tea as I'm not looking for that much realism. As long as I 'feel' like I'm in the environment, I'm happy!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, if what you really want is to feel like you're in a realistic environment how about liveATC.net? That's as real as it gets, but not so related your simulator per se unless you use local controllers. I use it but it is just high quality real 'ambience'.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

liveATC.net? That's as real as it gets

Yes, remember several years ago when that first came out. Pretty expensive as I recall then in comparison to others but I really haven't visited there for a long time so won't comment further. My lifestyle does not allow me to go 'real'. Thanks for the info anyway!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10