Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

Airbus X Extended Released

So, yeah, it's really hard to describe what I would be hoping for if I bought this aircraft.  As I said before, I've been an NGX user since day one.  I have flown that 99.8% of the time since it's been out(with the Q400 being the other .2%).  I know the NGX can do and simulate many things that I really don't care to worry about.  I don't care about failures.  I just like the day to day operations of "being an airline pilot".  Flying from A to B.

The nice thing about the NGX is that I know that the level of detail for this is going to be as spot on as you can get in FSX.  Using PFPX/Topcat, real routes and simulating normal operations to the highest level of detail possible, I know with the NGX the numbers are going to be dead on/real.  All those normal ops are going to be as real as can be.

From what I'm gathering from some of the latest comments here, it sounds like the AAX will do that too.  Is that right?  Will I get very accurate normal operations of flying an A320?  Will the numbers PFPX/Topcat give me be right on for the AAX?  Can I simulate normal ops to the level of detail that I can with the NGX?  I'm not sure I'm explaining this well enough.  I know the NGX blows everything away w/ the exception maybe of the Q400 right now(at least for a couple more days anyway :)) as far as system depth/detail.  I don't expect nor need the AAX to go to that depth.  But, for day to day ops, I want it to be as close to PMDG quality/details as possible.

I was just watching a Froogle video on Youtube this morning about his impressions of the aircraft and on descent he got calls to extend the flaps from the F/O what he said was way to early/way too high of speeds.  I don't know if that indeed is a bug in the bus or if it was right and Froogle was wrong.  But, those kind of things obviously don't happen in the NGX.  So, are there still those weird bugs or nuances with the AAX that will take away from those "spot on" normal ops?

I wonder too why FS2Crew has to come out with their stuff for AAX when the AAX has its own crew integrated in the product?  How off is the product to real world crew interaction that it warrants FS2Crew to do their stuff for the AAX?

Also, what about setup of throttles?  More specifically, does anyone have the Saitek throttle quadrant that can comment how easy/hard that is to get working?  Can you get reverse thrust working as well as the various detents associated to the Airbus?  I have done some reading on this and it looks possible but I haven't seen a definitive answer or guide to make sure it doesn't take 2 weeks to finally get it working.  I have also seen where setting up the throttles/yokes has effected other aircraft.  Any issues there?  I assume this was a case of changing FSUIPC/FSX assignments for the AAX but not making them aircraft specific or forgetting to put them back the way they were for the other aircraft.  Are there any ill effects on other installed aircraft?  Can I switch from the AAX to NGX without too much problems there?

Sorry for the questions and, I'm sure maybe even asking the same thing over and over again in some cases.  At some point, I'm just going to have to buy this and try it I guess.  That will be the only way to know.  :)  But, I really appreciate everyone's time answering them.  Thanks again!!!

If it makes you feel so much insecure just think about something else in your life for a while then come back...   ;)

Dirk. 

Just one thing re: the Froogle Airbus video;  I know that (for T7 related reasons :lol:) he is Mr Popular at the moment (and I won't be for saying this), but he really, really is not an expert on airliner operation in FS.  To be fair to him, on his earlier NGX vids, he admits this, (I think he normally flies props) and it's clear at that point he doesn't know one end of the cockpit fom the other, from some of the stuff he says.   The purpose of this is not to bash Froogle, but to say don't think that because he felt the flap calls were early, that they actually were.   I've never had that problem if the checklist system is all properly synced and where it should be for the descent.

You certainly can simulate PMDG style normal operations, VATSIM, point-to-point, DTOs, anything you like in the AAX..... (just not failures or seeing the deeper systems like the ELACs etc working..... but these are buttons and systems you'd never touch in normal ops).

I was just watching a Froogle video on Youtube this morning about his impressions of the aircraft and on descent he got calls to extend the flaps from the F/O what he said was way to early/way too high of speeds. I don't know if that indeed is a bug in the bus or if it was right and Froogle was wrong. But, those kind of things obviously don't happen in the NGX. So, are there still those weird bugs or nuances with the AAX that will take away from those "spot on" normal ops?

I wonder too why FS2Crew has to come out with their stuff for AAX when the AAX has its own crew integrated in the product? How off is the product to real world crew interaction that it warrants FS2Crew to do their stuff for the AAX?

One thing I like about Froogle's videos is that it's obvious he's just an average flight simmer with some journalistic experience. He goofs up like the rest of us but he simply enjoys showing people stuff.

The default AAX crew is a basic implementation and not meant to be ultra realistic, that's acknowledged by Aerosoft themselves. Adding FS2Crew really does notch up the procedural realism a lot but the plane itself is a sturdy, reliable, left-seat/normal ops simulation of an A32x. What is does, it does almost as well as a PMDG product, it's just missing all the extra fluff that most people never use like failures and abnormal ops. I am like you in the fact I just do A to B normal flights and the AAX fills that role very well.

Normal SOP areas remain as the focus of development (I mean, in flight normal sop, you dont turn off HYD or ELAC or FAC). Things like Radios are already worked on (check AS preview forums), other attention to detail like decel symbol supposed to be white in hdg/spd selected mode or even the widely loved "hockey sticks" are under consideration...

Thats good to hear Joshua, Cheers.

Looks like I'm not going to change my FBW aircraft next week - I'll rather have two of them to fly alternately ...   happy.png

In all fairness to Froogle (I had never heard of him before!) He does seem pretty clued up, more than your average simmer. I checked out a bunch of his videos last night, including the ones for the Airbus X.

I like that fact that if he does get something wrong he will add text explaining exactly what he did get wrong, makes a fresh change from all the videos you find on youtube with guys getting it completely wrong then blaming the product.

Rob Prest

What are the odds of this beast going on sale anytime soon? The comments here have whet my appetite but the price is a bit more than I care to part with.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I wonder too why FS2Crew has to come out with their stuff for AAX when the AAX has its own crew integrated in the product?  How off is the product to real world crew interaction that it warrants FS2Crew to do their stuff for the AAX?

FS2Crew's airline crew add-on for the Aerosoft Airbus X series is extremely different from the built in FO.

Not to diminish the built in FO, but FS2Crew's virtual crew is very, very different.

FS2Crew's airline crew add-on for the Aerosoft Airbus X series is extremely different from the built in FO.

Not to diminish the built in FO, but FS2Crew's virtual crew is very, very different.

Yeah, I have no doubt that your product will be great!  I have the NGX version.  I think right now, it's actually what I'm waiting for(the button version) before I purchase the AAX.  Once that is released, I think I will buy this aircraft.  I don't really like the idea of flying an aircraft without FS2Crew any more!  :)

Thanks to everyone here that has been very helpful in giving their feedback.  I appreciate it.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

ctually what I'm waiting for(the button version) before I purchase the AAX

The "Button Control" version should be out in a couple weeks hopefully.

It depends how quickly the voice actors submit their work.  

Cheers,

Hi Guys

I'm new to the Airbus X Extended, and am learning by feel at the moment!

I think I am doing something wrong regarding the descent, could anyone please advise?

Prior to the TOD I will lower the altitude setting ready for descent, but I am finding that the aircraft doesn't seem to follow the altitude constraints. I flew from EGGW to EGPH earlier and I was supposed to cross a particular waypoint at 3,000ft and I could see it coming for miles that I was never going to get down that low in time. At about 11,000ft I was descending at only 300fpm when I was only 40nm or so from said waypoint.

I'm sure this is something major I'm doing wrong, I'm not one to blame the product when I'm sure it'll be my error!

All I want to achieve is have it follow the FMC flightpath laterally and vertically, a la LNAV/VNAV in the 737.

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers

What was the green VDEV symbol on the PFD telling you? High or low on the calculated managed descent path?

Should also add that if the aircraft is decelerating to 250kts as it prepares to descend below 10000ft then managed descent will decrease your vertical speed as the aircraft slows down, this may have been what you had seen at 11000ft

It is always a good thing to remember that managed descent (even on the real aircraft) is not perfect, this is why you have other tools like OP descent and vertical speed at your disposal. The real machine also requires wind predictions to accurately predict your top of descent. And with any computer.. garbage in, garbage out.

Rob Prest

What was the green VDEV symbol on the PFD telling you? High or low on the calculated managed descent path?

Should also add that if the aircraft is decelerating to 250kts as it prepares to descend below 10000ft then managed descent will decrease your vertical speed as the aircraft slows down, this may have been what you had seen at 11000ft

It is always a good thing to remember that managed descent (even on the real aircraft) is not perfect, this is why you have other tools like OP descent and vertical speed at your disposal. The real machine also requires wind predictions to accurately predict your top of descent. And with any computer.. garbage in, garbage out.

I believe it was telling me that I was far too high, which is what I was aware of anyway just "by eye".

I think I just have more Airbus reading to do, having only ever flown the NGX as a "serious" aircraft. Lots to learn! I've been used to the NGX flawlessly following what is in the FMC and I've got into the habit of just letting it get on with it, without thinking too much about the hows and whys of what's going on!

Unlike a Boeing a 'Bus will not descend on its own, even though the initial descent altitude is set on the FMGS (MCP). Just before TOD you also need to press the Alt button to initiate descent. Think of pressing Alt as a kind of VNAV button. In simple terms, in an Airbus if you press a button on the FMGS that function then becomes "managed" (under the control of the autopilot); pull it out and you control.

Push on the FCU and you give control, pull you take control.

Rob Prest

Yes that's the thing, I was in managed mode for the whole flight as far as I was aware.

I reached cruise alt and levelled off and then prior to TOD I set the FCU alt to 5,000 so that it would (I thought) follow the descent down to G/S and LOC capture.

Did I miss a step out or something do you think? Is there something else I have to do to 'initiate' a descent?