Sign in to follow this  
muddy123

FS9 vs FSX ?

can i fly the old planes, historic flights in fsx ? i loved fs9 5 yrs. ago, ready to get it again (was on old computer, etc.) or fsx; what are the big differences ?

At the prices they are today, get both.

For old planes and historic flights, stick with FS9. Not a lot of old planes in FSX, and no historic missions. Many planes made for FS9 can be made to work in FSX, but you'll have to do some research. From what I've seen, FSX planes are better. There appear to be some FS9 planes in the FSX install.

FSX has some improvements over FS9, but at the cost of needing a more powerful computer.

If you get FSX, install SP1 but hold off on SP2 (and Acceleration) until you get an add-on that requires it. It fixes some things, breaks some others.

I may have to get FS9... I like older planes. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you get FSX, install SP1 but hold off on SP2 (and Acceleration) until you get an add-on that requires it. It fixes some things, breaks some others.

some one can correct me on this if you got the accelation pack for fsx there is no need for sp1 or sp2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

When FSX came out I persisted with FS9 for a little while mainly because I was enjoying *The Classic* "Airliner Pilot" and the Dash8. But really, I found flying itself to be much better in FSX and set it up with all sliders at minimum and used a bit of imagination. I would choose FSX for that reason, but why not install both? :smile:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have skipped FSX and have so far seen no reason to switch except if you like to use photoreal scenery. The higher pixel resolution that FSX allows makes a real difference there.

I have skipped FSX andhave so far seen no reason to switch except if you like to use photoreal scenery. The higher pixel resolution that FSX allows makes a real difference there.

That is the only thing better in fsx, other than there is really no good reason to swicth. Fs9 performes a lot better.

To be fair, there are quite a number of really nice historic freeware planes now for FSX - by Robert Richardson (e.g. Gloster meteor, Fairey Gannet, Twin Pioneer, Avro Shackleton), by Tim Conrad (Super Tucano), Warwick Carter (Texan), Swingman (Grumman Duck), D.H. Moth by Ants Airplanes and just recently a beautiful Mosquito Fighter by Rick Piper. All FSx native and stunningly modelled.

Lots of beautiful payware planes too.

In fact, the modelling standards for both payware and freeware planes have become astonishingly high.

Check out some of the many videos of both FS9 and FSX on youtube and then decide.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

There's a chart at the bottom of this page that shows what aircraft are included in each version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator

Some aircraft that have been removed may be available as free downloads for FSX, and there may be some good payware versions available as well. Note that the Deluxe version of FSX has additional aircraft that are worth having.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I'm using FS9 on an iMac with many add-ons for scenery and weather and have been very happy with it. Some developers are still creating nice aircraft for FS9, although I'm getting concerned that they are beginning to ditch FS9. FSX allows for more detail in scenery and aircraft, even HD quality. Downside is you need a good computer to run FSX. Even then, I read many threads from those with expensive setups who still have problems running FSX. It's big reason I haven't switched yet.

What intrigues me is the number of people who ask if I use FS9 or FSX when I post screenshots. So, visually the two are close in many situations. I'm sure FSX has more advanced flight characteristics than FS9, as it should.

One thing FSX has going for it, is Prepare3d, which is essentially FSX for commercial use. The FSX software coding was purchased by Lockheed. While currently P3D is essentially FSX, it will be further developed into the future. I think this will eventually be the sim of the future, especially if version 2 ends up being as good as many anticipate. If so, I'll probably skip FSX altogether and eventually go P3D.

Todd

Many (still) use FS9 when flying complex heavies, the framerate is so good and the smoothness as well; where ground scenery such as terrain, texture and mesh are less important since flying heavies means at high altitude.

I use FSX for Blue Angels' F\A-18 (acceleration default) and my beloved A2A's P 40. The good thing is there are a lot of freeware ground enhancement, such as Blue Sky Scenery, several FTX freebies and a lot more if you dig more on AVSIM Library and Flightsim.

keep them side by side

FSX is old as dirt, and FS9 is older still. If you're starting fresh with just one sim, I think 97% of people would go with FSX.

As for complex jets as a reason to use FS9 - ngx, anyone?

I'd only go FS9 if you have a seriously low end system. For existing users with heavy investment in addons, that's another compelling reason to stay for some.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Merry Christmas everyone ... time to move on to 2013 ... maybe to obtain more wisdom and stop this senseless merry-go-round.

Time to comprehend how to learn the SEARCH ENGINE too!

time to move on to 2013

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that FS9 will still work in 2013.

stop this senseless merry-go-round.

Which senseless merry-go-round would that be?

Time to comprehend how to learn the SEARCH ENGINE too!

See if you can search up some instructions on how to properly set up a search string that works. Not the rudimentary instructions found in every search engine, but something on the graduate level. Searching is so easy a 12 year old can do it, but there's never a handy 12 year old around when you need one. I learned searching under a totally different paradigm and I can't get my head around the new version.

I'd buy FS9 just for the ability to do Lindbergh's transatlantic flight, and to have the Curtis Jenny, another Lindbergh favorite. I don't know how many times I read "Spirit of Saint Louis" when I was younger, but it was at least three. The Ford Tri-motor would be a plus as well. Not much interested in the others, but some people would like the Vega and the rest.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I got into the flightsim hobby a little over a year ago. I did not even seriously consider FS9. I think the people using FS9 probably have a considerable investment in add ons, and, understandably, do not want to spend a lot of money repurchasing items they already have. But for someone who is just starting the hobby, or someone who does not have an investment in FS9 add ons, the choice seems pretty obvious.

That being said, both are dead programs. Microsoft is not supporting either FS9 or FSX. There is hope for FSX because of Prepar3d, but this always has been and always will be a non-mass-market product. It suggests that if there is a future incarnation of Microsoft Flight Simulator, (1) it will not be produced by Microsoft, and (2) it will be based off of the FSX platform. I have a hard time seeing why a developer would choose to build off of the FS9 platform when the FSX platform is out there.

If Microsoft does not sell either program SOON to another developer, they both will end up in the very large group of public domain computer games. If you look around, many old games can be downloaded for free. At this point, other developers and hobbyists may pick up the ball. I suspect most modifications will be made for FSX.

FSX is still pretty buggy, with an entire forum devoted to its crashes and idiosynchracies. I don't know if FS9 suffers from the same problems.

While FS9 has more historic aircraft, most of these exist as addons, freeware or payware, for FSX. For example, I have commercial versions of both the DC3 and Ford Tri-motor. I have never felt a compelling need to create the 30 second flight of the Wright Flyer or the trans Atlantic flight of the Spirit of St. Louis. As for combat aircraft, I suspect the military simulators do a better job.

[by the way, I love the Ford Tri-Motor add on for FSX. It is so --- quaint. It harkens back to an earlier era, and its charm is hard to dismiss.]

More and more developes are giving up on the FS9 platform, suggesting that the end is nigh for that platform. In a year or two, it probably will be a complete orphan.

I am sure there are FS9 a really excited users who will disagree with me, but they are to be ignored. God save us from the a really excited users!