Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

My SSD Addiction! What's yours?

The bug bit me Ben!

I'm grabbing a 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K for $93 AUD and will save the rest for Haswell. I know I don't really need it but I like to keep my games separate from FSX, and what can I say, I can't resist a bargain! lol

By the way, I know it's off topic, but how are you finding Windows 8 compared to 7? I think I read in another thread that you'd made the switch.

My first SSD had a problem so instead I've got a 4Tb Intel RAID10 and loads up FSX + PMDG in 25s. Win8 is much better than Win7.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

By the way, I know it's off topic, but how are you finding Windows 8 compared to 7?

I switched back.... I had a *persistent* stutter issue in Windows 8. I literally spent 2 months trying to fix it to no avail. - I literally tried everything. (Drivers, different CFGs, multiple re-formats, addons, etc)

I love Windows 8 due to the new interface and store. But, the stutter issue with FSX was a "no-go" for me.

I started off with 1 256gb Crucial M4 SSD, now I have 2 256gb Crucial M4 SSDs. :P I use the second one for backup/storage.

You know one thing that's really nice about having no more platter drives is the extra silence! You don't realize how much noise a platter drive adds to your system until you take them all out. Granted they aren't LOUD but pure silence can't be beat!

You're not going to believe this but the 4x2Tb spindles are quieter than the 2Tb in my old machine. I wasn't expecting that but these recent conventional drives are awesome. None the less I would have preferred SSD's. I'm surprised we're not at the stage where we can buy a handful of matchbox sized SSDs down the supermarket and plug them on top of a growing stack of self healing replicating network storage.

You're not going to believe this but the 4x2Tb spindles are quieter than the 2Tb in my old machine. I wasn't expecting that but these recent conventional drives are awesome.

Totally agree... My 320GB Caviar Blue(backups/media storage) is almost completely silent. You literally have to put your ear near the front of my case to even hear the drive making any noise at all.

I am a bit of a silence freak....lol :lol: I've gone as far as to under-volt all of my fans and set up a fan profile in AI Suite that fully turns off my H100 fans when the CPU isn't under any load.

I had a *persistent* stutter issue in Windows 8

That's not what you want at all! I've been thinking of trying Windows 8 but more than likely I'll stick with 7 for now.

Win8 is much better than Win7.

What makes you like Win8 over Win7? Just curious as a potential adopter of the new OS.

For me the quietness of these SSD's is just an added bonus. It's the speed that sets them apart for me.

The newwer mechanical drives seem to be pretty quiet and I honestly barely notice the noise except when my external 2TB drives spin up after a period of inactivity.

I'm surprised we're not at the stage where we can buy a handful of matchbox sized SSDs down the supermarket and plug them on top of a growing stack of self healing replicating network storage.

lol - love it!!

Quick boot up, the tile menu is ok, file copying is much better, event viewing, more neat stuff crops up as you use it.

Thanks Steve. So essentially you've found it it be a bit snappier than Win7?

Have you had the problems with your controllers dropping out like I've read here in the forums?

1 x 128Gb PCIe SSD for Windows,

Holy mackeral... that's a quick boot time... how long does yours take from power on to Windows Desktop?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Win8 is just like Win7 but with loads of improvements the more you look. My CH setup went in without a hitch and has worked perfectly so far.

Holy mackeral... that's a quick boot time... how long does yours take from power on to Windows Desktop?

PCIe SSD's are good, once they are up and running, you get a delay as the motherboard bios, then the SSD bios starts up.

I'll time it later from total, then after bios starts.

I Made my rig with FSX & FSX only in mind, the main brain for the center of a home simulator.

I've two SSD's (a 120 for the OS amd a 240 for FSX) waiting for me to find time to ghost and copy the relevant drive and files across. I always keep my OS on a seperate drive and keep as much data and other programmes as possible on a seperate drive. I'd have bought a bigger drive for FSX but that's too rich on price for me now. My original 64Gb (so called) SSD that the OS system came on with my box has proved fast and reliable but with only about a Gig and a half spare space it's just too small. Once the OS is ghosted to the 120 I'll put Train Sim stuff on that.

The space freed up on the HDD by transferring FSX to the SSD would be useful but on the other hand it would be an excellent ready made back up? With 3Tb Hdd's about the same price as the smaller SSD's now transferring any downloads or future downloads to that would be an obvious backup solution? Backup? You know ....it's what you'd planned to do the day after the HDD actually corrupted B)

For those asking what size they need try this excellent free utility. It gives you the exact size of every folder and file on your drive.

http://www.jam-softw...are/index.shtml

I was staggered at the size of the Downloads folders I'd accumalated for Train and Flight Sims. They are by far the biggest content on my HDD's.

Quite apart from FSX it will show you exactly what is clagging up your HDD's. It's fast and simple to use.

Next decision will be goverened by price until SSD's come down more? HDD's have never been cheaper or bigger? My rule of thumb for HDD's is you'll need as big a drive as you can afford and that will always prove to be not quite big enough :lol: .

Geoff Brown

Hi, I installed FSX on a SSD some time ago and have been very pleased with the results. I recently added a second SSD for Prepar3d and while it works well, the computer is intermittent when detecting the latest SSD. Sometimes a reboot will find it, but sometimes I have to unplug the drive, reboot, switch off, replug, then reboot and it will sometimes find it. I have tried different ports, though I really want to use the sata3 port as the latest SSD is the later, faster type. I have also tried different cables without any effect. As the motherboard is a first generation Sandybridge board I am wondering if the sata ports are failing which I believe was the original concern. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I installed FSX on a SSD some time ago and have been very pleased with the results. I recently added a second SSD for Prepar3d and while it works well, the computer is intermittent when detecting the latest SSD. Sometimes a reboot will find it, but sometimes I have to unplug the drive, reboot, switch off, replug, then reboot and it will sometimes find it. I have tried different ports, though I really want to use the sata3 port as the latest SSD is the later, faster type. I have also tried different cables without any effect. As the motherboard is a first generation Sandybridge board I am wondering if the sata ports are failing which I believe was the original concern. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I would try seeing if there is an updated firmware for your SSD.