Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

FSDreamteam CYVR Vancouver is out!

Howard, you and Alex don't have the same problems at YVR though do you?

Of course not, Alex doesn't ANY visual issues, he's only reporting a sharp drop in fps when looking at the Control Tower, which is very likely caused by another scenery in conflict (he posted several screenshots on our forum in the past, clearly showing duplicate objects)

The video corruption is an ENTIRELY different issue, which is surely related to video memory exhaustion or corruption, and one can be easily mislead thinking it must be "caused" by CYVR, just because "it doesn't happen elsewhere".

I think to have already explained that, CYVR is made in a way that is more likely to expose a problem which was already there, but that other sceneries which are more CPU-bound, would not be able to trigger.

To be honest CYVR is one of

It's not possible to buy something from us and not being satisfied, because as everybody knows, everything we sell is sold in Trial version. The Trial version doesn't ever expire, you can launch FSX, test with different settings, start it again, with no limitations.

Looking at our forum, I can see TWO posts from you, this one:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8242.0

Which clearly show you had problems with textures at KLAX, that also nobody else reported, and you haven't said if you finally fixed them, but of course everybody knows that KLAX does NOT look like that...

And one related to CYVR:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8905.0

Here, you are saying "all I get anywhere in the aiprort are graphical flashes and anomolies", but when you reported it in the proper place, you ONLY reported a place where two scenery tiles meets which is NOT something that is really specify to CYVR. ALL our sceneries are made exactly like that, and there might be places where this can be more or less obvious.

You haven't reported anything else so, are these the "graphical anomalies" that appears everywhere ( they don't, they only appear when tiles meet), and since this happens just the same with any FSDT scenery, and you have at least one FSDT scenery (KLAX) which is identical in this regard, either you have something else, which you should report, or it's not really the case you don't see this "anywhere else", because you surely have it at KLAX, and any other FSDT scenery, since they are all made that way.

Note that, this problem is more visible if you LOWER your settings so, by running "conservative" settings and low res textures, you are only making it more visible.

I think CYVR is one of the best sceneries iv ever bought, I think its brilliant and I love flying in there at night with the 777! Im on the way now actually.

It's not possible to buy something from us and not being satisfied, because as everybody knows, everything we sell is sold in Trial version. The Trial version doesn't ever expire, you can launch FSX, test with different settings, start it again, with no limitations.

Looking at our forum, I can see TWO posts from you, this one:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8242.0

Which clearly show you had problems with textures at KLAX, that also nobody else reported, and you haven't said if you finally fixed them, but of course everybody knows that KLAX does NOT look like that...

And one related to CYVR:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8905.0

Here, you are saying "all I get anywhere in the aiprort are graphical flashes and anomolies", but when you reported it in the proper place, you ONLY reported a place where two scenery tiles meets which is NOT something that is really specify to CYVR. ALL our sceneries are made exactly like that, and there might be places where this can be more or less obvious.

You haven't reported anything else so, are these the "graphical anomalies" that appears everywhere ( they don't, they only appear when tiles meet), and since this happens just the same with any FSDT scenery, and you have at least one FSDT scenery (KLAX) which is identical in this regard, either you have something else, which you should report, or it's not really the case you don't see this "anywhere else", because you surely have it at KLAX, and any other FSDT scenery, since they are all made that way.

Note that, this problem is more visible if you LOWER your settings so, by running "conservative" settings and low res textures, you are only making it more visible.

With reference to your first line I am not satisfied & have posted here and your forum numerous times. I have simply given up and parked these products and written off the cost.

Seems strange that some people have trouble with cyvr and others don't like me, havnt had any problems at all as of yet. So must be some pcs can handle it and others that cant

Have to agree. I hope the posters get a solution from Umberto, but I know myself and others have had no issues with CYVR. It is a very good airport.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

With reference to your first line I am not satisfied & have posted here and your forum numerous times. I have simply given up and parked these products and written off the cost.

If with my "first line", you mean this:

It's not possible to buy something from us and not being satisfied, because as everybody knows, everything we sell is sold in Trial version.

I don't see any reference with your reply, because the main point of the line was the ability to evaluate the scenery BEFORE purchasing, THAT's why I've said "It's not possible to buy something from us and not being satisfied", but of course it implies you USE the Trial.

Which doesn't obviously mean you are not entitled to support after purchasing, but of course, since I don't have any user named "dbw1" on our forum, and you haven't added your real name here either, I can't possibly check what your posts were related, WHY you weren't "satisfied", what was the solutions proposed and the eventual outcome.

Because, there are different issues discussed here and it's just wrong to treat them as if they were all the same, just to prove some kind of point that CYVR has "issues".

- There's the OOM issue, which has been discussed and analyzed to death here and, fortunately, most people HAVE realized they are not caused in ANY way by CYVR. In fact, what CYVR has shown to the world, is the importance of knowing how much memory you are using, being aware of the 4GB limitation, and raised public awareness of the DX10 benefits.

- There's the "low fps on the Tower" problem, which has been reported ONLY by ONE user, aceridgey.

- There's the video anomalies which are clearly a problem of video drivers settings, tweaks or bugs, and it has been reported by Rockliffe. We are following this on FSDT forum, which is the only place to get support.

- There are many messages of users not having any problems, the last two of them just posted before, and these of course should be proof enough the scenery is fine, when running on a fit system. How do you explain these ?

You don't say why you are "not satisfied", and since it's not easy to identify you, I can't check what the problem really was and reply in the appropriate way.

Seems  strange that some people have  trouble  with cyvr  and others  don't  like me

Peter, regardless of the device you are using to type your sentences, I just wanted to drop that others do like you. :smile: :Peace:

Well Alex, at least I know it's not me. I've posted over on the FSDT forum and I'll wait and see what Umberto comes up with. But with respect to the guy, to be frank, I really don't think he'll be able to offer a solution.

You still have not answered the results of my suggestion to go all vanilla. I really dont understand peoples refusal to do this. Its called simple logical troubleshooting. Process of elimination. This airport works and works very well, but it is sensitive because its the PNW with a whole lot going on. If you dont do it right, it will give you headaches. Do it properly and its thorougly enjoyable. 

Now delete your fsx.cfg. Only had the necessary tweaks rather than every tweak you know of. Fly a default cessna around YVR with no weather and take not of your FPS. If your getting low numbers from this very simple test, your whole FSX is not tuned. Work at it more before going on. If you dont know what that means, read Nick Ns bible or the avsim software guide. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Hi Umberto,

I just stumbled upon this thread, and since your great CYVR scenery is one that I use fairly often, I would like to mention something that has bothered me for a very long time.

I'm fortunate enough to have an i7-3930K CPU coupled with a GTX Titan GPU, but regardless of my settings, when I get within a certain distance of CYVR and the airport textures load, the entire simulation comes to a complete standstill for a second or two, both in DX9 and DX10. There is no other complex scenery that I have that has a similar issue, even FlyTampa's complex Dubai scenery does not ever show such a drastic pause. As the bulk of the CYVR scenery doesn't load from the root structure or add-on scenery directory, but instead installs itself in the SimObjects directory, I'm wondering if this is part of the performance issue, as the SimObjects directory tree was perhaps never intended to contain scenery files.

Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the very annoying complete pause that happens when CYVR loads?

Best regards,

Jerome

Jerome,

This issue/problem/annoyance occurs at every FSDT airport. This is an issue that should be addressed but never has. If you raise the anti-pop slider to 30 the pause is even longer. At CYVR I get not one pause, but two.

BUT, I've found a work around. I always open the FSDT arrival airport first. Then create the flight plan that takes me to the departure point. This eliminates the pause.

I would prefer a feature in the add-on manager that allows you to load the airport without having to initially go to the airport, but the feature in NOT available.

BTW, CYVR is an amazing airport. I love every FSDT airport. The only annoyance is the main initial pause and sometimes I do get some micro pauses. That's about it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

This issue/problem/annoyance occurs at every FSDT airport.

It's not an issue or a problem, it is a minor annoyance that is due to how the sceneries are made, programmatically. It's NOT an "FSDT issue", either.

Have you tried Ultimate Traffic 2 ? Instead of having AI traffic loaded in .BGL files, it creates traffic programmatically. And the result is, of course, the sim frozen while the program create AIs. UT2 of course doesn't use the Addon Manager, it use its own handler, but the principle is exactly the same.

Have you seen the latest Budapest scenery from LH Sim ? It creates the scenery programmatically and, guess what, objects freeze the sim while they are created. No, it doesn't use the Addon Manager...

This is an issue that should be addressed but never has.

It can't be fixed, because it would mean losing every feature that has been discussed here and in the thread about the Addon Manager, it's inherent to the fact that objects are not created while FSX is loading the progress bar, but after is done loading.

It's not that you don't get any "pause" when loading a scenery made in the traditional way, it's just you don't NOTICE the pause, because is hidden behind the progress bar!! They say "What you don't know won't hurt you" for a reason...

Overall, the loading time would be exactly the same, it's just that when creating objects programmatically, part of the loading process happens after the loading progress bar so, it's just more obvious.

BUT, when controlling objects programmatically, we have the absolute control that objects ARE destroyed and memory IS reclaimed, after you exit from the area. This doesn't happen with BGLs, the developer doesn't have any control on the loading process and memory allocation, and it's a known fact that some BGLs of entirely unrelated areas are still kept in memory, wasting valuable VAS space, even when you are very far from their area.

If you raise the anti-pop slider to 30 the pause is even longer

That's fairly obvious. Instead of different loading procedures depending on the various loading distances (objects with smaller range will load separately from objects with a larger range), by putting the slider to the maximum value, you'll have all objects loading together so, instead of several shorter pauses, you'll have a single longer one, but nothing else once everything's loaded. That's absolutely normal.

Would be nice if objects could be created without pauses ? Of course, but having a pause 10 NM out when loading a scenery, is a minor compromise in order to get all the other features.

I would also like that my UT2 AIs would load instantly without pausing the sim too, but of course, since that's issue is inherent to the very clever way they create traffic dynamically instead of being bound by the AI engine limitations, I just accept it considering the other advantages their solution gives in exchange.

You still have not answered the results of my suggestion to go all vanilla. I really dont understand peoples refusal to do this. Its called simple logical troubleshooting. Process of elimination. This airport works and works very well, but it is sensitive because its the PNW with a whole lot going on. If you dont do it right, it will give you headaches. Do it properly and its thorougly enjoyable. 

Now delete your fsx.cfg. Only had the necessary tweaks rather than every tweak you know of. Fly a default cessna around YVR with no weather and take not of your FPS. If your getting low numbers from this very simple test, your whole FSX is not tuned. Work at it more before going on. If you dont know what that means, read Nick Ns bible or the avsim software guide. 

Dave, thanks for the reply. All the suggestions I know about and have tried, with no positive results. I'm unsure what is going on, it may well be that the airport resides within Orbx scenery, who knows. I have tried a clean fsx cfg with minimal tweaks, including of course the highmemfix... tried several different GPU drivers. I have more or less given up and I'm now waiting to use the airport when P3D V2 is released.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Umberto, why don't you put out a sample of what the FSX .cfg should look like for the typical FSX machine when loading one of your high end airports, with some kind of disclaimer if you are worried about comeback on yourself. Kind of like a CYVR hints and tips.

I and I am sure everybody in this hobby has a high regard for your scenery and your expertise, but just remember that we don't have that expertise and although I have solved my problems posted earlier, I am still not happy with my performance at CYVR (before you get the wrong idea, I'm not saying there is something wrong with your software)

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Interesting thread.  I have most of FSDT's airports but not CYVR and the reason is threads like this - there are still users (many, a number, some??) who have ongoing issues that don't seem to have been addressed after some nine months or so since release.  It would be very helpful for potential purchasers and FSDT's bottom line if we could start to see the complainants reporting back in this and similar threads that their issues with FSDT's CYVR have been resolved. 

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Dave, thanks for the reply. All the suggestions I know about and have tried, with no positive results. I'm unsure what is going on, it may well be that the airport resides within Orbx scenery, who knows. I have tried a clean fsx cfg with minimal tweaks, including of course the highmemfix... tried several different GPU drivers. I have more or less given up and I'm now waiting to use the airport when P3D V2 is released.

Howard

I noticed that you have got orbox installed, I had issues when I first installed cyvr  with orbox installed kept on getting ctds when flying  within cyvr.  Found out by Umberto suggestion that I had duplicated sceneries.  Did a scan and sure enough I had found out that orbox was at fault,  did a seach thru my orbox folders  and  deleted any bgl files  that related to cyvr.  Now  I havnt had any issues,  not saying this  is  the cause of your issues but could  be

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have most of FSDT's airports but not CYVR and the reason is threads like this - there are still users (many, a number, some??) who have ongoing issues that don't seem to have been addressed after some nine months or so since release

It seems that I constantly have to repeat myself:

- CYVR doesn't have ANY issues left to be "fixed".

The initial issues were MOSTLY related to OOMs, not obviously because CYVR causes OOM, but because many users were already very close to exhausting the 4GB memory limit and that area is very critical, both because it's already dense by default, but also because it's in the PNW area, which includes several memory-hungry sceneries from OrbX, plus Vancouver+. Fact that many users have PMDG airplanes which are not famous to be cheap on resources, didn't help.

As explained countless of times already, it's not anybody's fault if a certain area can't be used with an unlimited number of add-ons at the same time or without compromising with settings.

The CYVR release, if anything, raised the public AWARNESS that the 4GB limit in FSX is not something that can be ignored anymore. If it wasn't CYVR, it would have been something else. It raised public awareness that DX10 is useful to save memory too, which is not something that is required "just" because of it, BEFORE the 777 was released, I was fairly SURE it would be more memory hungry than the 737NGX so, to those that were sure their OOM were "caused" by CYVR, I always replied "wait until the 777 will be released, and you'll start seeing OOMs in other places too".

And guess what, PMDG forum is full of OOM reports, because the DOES 777 take more memory (PMDG says it's about 200MB more) than the 737NGX so, the SAME users that mistakenly attributed OOM crash to CYVR because "they only happen there" WILL likely see OOMs in other place too, places that once were safe to use with the NGX.

The OOM covers almost all issues raised in this thread and, of course, it has been addressed long ago, since we updated CYVR with an installer that allow users to chose precisely how much texture resolution they want for each item of the scenery (ground, buildings and dynamic shadows can have their own independent resolution), and how many seasonal changes. We can't obviously fix the FSX 4GB limit, but with the updated installer, users can decide how to allocate their resources.

- There are very few users that reported graphic anomalies.

As explained many times too, CYVR is a scenery that relies HEAVILY on the GPU. It's 100% legal and correct code, there's nothing "fix" in it, but the way is done, REQUIRES the GPU to be working correctly which means, drivers with the correct settings, FSX.CFG with not too many undocumented tweaks, care in applying tweaks on the video card, etc. Tweaks are not "magical", if something is not documented officially, there's usually a reason for it. Sometimes, the developer has found that a tweak that works wonders for a specific card, is dangerous for another one so, rather than making it default, they prefer not to use it, possibly losing some performances on the "good" card, but being sure it would work even on the "bad" one. That's why tweaks and guide should be taken with care: they might work wonders for one user with a specific card, and being dangerous for another one.

This to explain that, anything affect in some way the GPU and its memory handling, video drivers, settings in the video driver, tweaks in the video driver and tweaks in the FSX.CFG, WILL affect CYVR MORE than any other scenery out there that, being based mostly on old legacy FS8 code for things that CYVR does with native FSX materials with shaders instead, will not suffer with problems with your GPU. Problems that you have anyway, but that CYVR only made surface.

CYVR is the diagnostic tool that can show you something might be wrong with your settings, if you have a problem, you don't "fix" the diagnostic tool to stop reporting it, you work on the problem.

That's not a joke: I would like to remind you that CYVR is available in TRIAL VERSION. The Trial version doesn't ever expire, you can only use it for 5 minutes at once, but you can have as many 5-minutes sessions as you want, without any limitation. It's a Trial system that has been *designed* specifically with FSX users in mind, that like to tweak, start FSX, test, exit, tweak again, test again, etc.

This means two things:

- You CAN take my suggestion of using CYVR as a free diagnostic tool to check if your FSX is fit, quite seriously. The download is free...

- For the same reason (Trial version), it would be wrong to "wait" to purchase it, based on other user's reports if problems are "fixed". Why wait for them, when you can just TRY on your system and, chances are you will find there were no problems to begin with ?

- For the same reason, even without trying it yourself (which you can do in any case), you should assume that there's really nothing to "fix" in the scenery because it there were, we wouldn't sell much of it, considering the Trial is there for anyone to check.

The only logical conclusion to this would be that, either it's true that most users don't have ANY problems, or we are masochists and we willingly try to hurt our own sales, by making available as a free Trial something that has problems. What's the more plausible of the two ?

Howard

I noticed that you have got orbox installed, I had issues when I first installed cyvr  with orbox installed kept on getting ctds when flying  within cyvr.  Found out by Umberto suggestion that I had duplicated sceneries.  Did a scan and sure enough I had found out that orbox was at fault,  did a seach thru my orbox folders  and  deleted any bgl files  that related to cyvr.  Now  I havnt had any issues,  not saying this  is  the cause of your issues but could  be

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. Yup, I deleted the Orbx CYVR bgl... however, don't know if there are any others? I guess there would just be the one? Maybe I'll take your lead and investigate that a little more. Do you have any further suggestions based on what I've said...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776