Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

Aces Team Members Back On Task

What you talking about, Willis?

Remind me to remove your image posting privileges sometime.. I guess I should be grateful that it was not the other end of the beast. :Big Grin:

Tom Allensworth, on 09 February 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Shut down your connection to the internet and find out.

Ha, I could try that but it wouldn't make any difference as i don't have Prepar3d installed.

Bryan.

I do. I did. it works fine. AND the sky is not falling - JIC you were worried about that too. :rolleyes:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The point is: we can sit around and speculate all day, but until you walk up to the horse and yank its jaws open, you will never know for sure.

Unfortunately for P3D, some of the people trying to count how many teeth the horse has, are starting at the wrong end of the horse...

I do. I did. it works fine. AND the sky is not falling - JIC you were worried about that too. :rolleyes:

Vic

44 teeth and life moves on. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for P3D, some of the people trying to count how many teeth the horse has, are starting at the wrong end of the horse...

So, you are saying that they are "navigationally impaired" so to speak?

Vic

Not worried at all, never bothered with P3d after version 1.3, not enough improvement over FSX for me.

However, if LM change their stance, try the same test after your licensing period has ended.

Don't bother replying, these P3d discussions become rather boring after a time, I'm sure you agree?

Bryan.

To all the above past and present posts on this topic :LMAO:

OK - So for some this is old news but for some like me it is new news and it gives us something to hope for. Besides that it makes me happy to know that ex Aces members are tweaking FSX code.

Please let me be happy! LOL

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Not worried at all, never bothered with P3d after version 1.3, not enough improvement over FSX for me.

However, if LM change their stance, try the same test after your licensing period has ended.

Don't bother replying, these P3d discussions become rather boring after a time, I'm sure you agree?

Bryan.

LOL! Since you asked a question, I guess I should respond - yes, I agree.

Everyone to their own way of doing things - as for me - I don't really care what LM does down the road - I'm having a helluva lot of fun NOW. I WILL try it on the next version, as I do with ALL products that require online activation - nice to know if your product REQUIRES an internet connection on every startup or if it phones home every now and then.

My point Bryan is that there are no guarantees from anyone, so why miss some enjoyment because you think it won't last? If you don't enjoy it, as you state, that's a different case but suggesting that people should not purchase the product because LM may shut it down some day is disingenuous at best.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

LOL! Since you asked a question, I guess I should respond - yes, I agree.

Everyone to their own way of doing things - as for me - I don't really care what LM does down the road - I'm having a helluva lot of fun NOW. I WILL try it on the next version, as I do with ALL products that require online activation - nice to know if your product REQUIRES an internet connection on every startup or if it phones home every now and then.

My point Bryan is that there are no guarantees from anyone, so why miss some enjoyment because you think it won't last? If you don't enjoy it, as you state, that's a different case but suggesting that people should not purchase the product because LM may shut it down some day is disingenuous at best.

Vic

OK, I'll bite.

Firstly, I'm not missing any enjoyment because P3d doesn't give me any. As I said no real improvement over FSX on my system. But thanks for your concern anyway.

Secondly, no where did I state that people should not purchase a license to use P3d on their systems, I was just pointing out that there may be the possibility in the future that their investment may come back to bite them, that would seem to be PMDG's view as well.

I think what people are missing is that Lockheed Martin is first and last a defense contractor, and I can't for one moment imagine that they give a moments thought to enthusiastic flight simmers and their investment in Lockheed's product.

As you say let people do what they enjoy, but I refuse to sign up to the the notion that somehow LM are the savior sent down from flight sim heaven. They are quite clearly nothing of the sort, although reading many posts you might be enticed to think otherwise.

Bryan.

Lockheed Martin defense contractor but congress gives it our taxpayers money. Lockheed will see rabid base of simmers pay top dollar for vitural flying. Cut off access P3d those old simmers will call their congress person to complain and Lockheed will do anything avoid this. P3d will very likely be alternative to X-plane. Congressional earmarks could be funding P3d indirectly why ruin a good thing. MS not making future Flight Sims with their development budget. Sequestration won't stop it ethier from congress.

Poor Phil was limited by the MS marketing machine. Despite that he still was a great software engineer working under a cloud as many of us do. Would have been different if Bill was still holding the reigns.

Regards

jja

Yeah he took alot of crap in the forums from people that didnt know him. Nice guy spent some time hanging around with him at AVSIM DEVCON Seattle 2007

OK, I'll bite.

Firstly, I'm not missing any enjoyment because P3d doesn't give me any. As I said no real improvement over FSX on my system. But thanks for your concern anyway.

Secondly, no where did I state that people should not purchase a license to use P3d on their systems, I was just pointing out that there may be the possibility in the future that their investment may come back to bite them, that would seem to be PMDG's view as well.

I think what people are missing is that Lockheed Martin is first and last a defense contractor, and I can't for one moment imagine that they give a moments thought to enthusiastic flight simmers and their investment in Lockheed's product.

As you say let people do what they enjoy, but I refuse to sign up to the the notion that somehow LM are the savior sent down from flight sim heaven. They are quite clearly nothing of the sort, although reading many posts you might be enticed to think otherwise.

Bryan.

We are pretty close in agreement. Initially I cancelled my subscription to P3d but decided to give it one more go and took the time to set it up properly - haven't looked back. Didn't work out for you - respect that.

I agree with your assessment of LM but they are no different than MS. DO you REALLY think MS gave a hoot about the simming community? Aces did because it was their niche - how did that work out for them. ANY corporation can pull the plug at any time, and MS did exactly that. And I seriously doubt that many who purchased FSX feel their investment came back to bite tem.

And if LM pulls the plug down the road, I certainly wont consider it to have been a bad investment.

I understand where you are coming from as I do with PMDG, it's just that I disagree - not that LM might pull the plug but that it would make the purchase a bad investment. IMHO, that would be true if someone had purchased it within a month or two but from what I've heard in the forums, it would not be the case for most of the P3D users.

AS I said it sounds like chicken little with the sky falling from both yourself and PMDG - it really IS a non issue - not that the sky couldn't fall but who cares?

Using that same logic, no one would purchase anything from a mfgr who stepped outside their niche.

LM is no saviour but they have a fun product and it looks to only be getting better and anyone who doesn't give it a try due to the scare logic is making a big mistake and missing out on the possibility for some good fun.

I read daily posts from users who could not get FSX to work right and P3D worked *for them* right out of the box. The opposite is also true but I'm just saying it's better to try it and not like it than skip it out of foolish logic.

Vic

Good point Vic. There is no reason to trust Lockheed Martin more or less than Microsoft. They are two of the same.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

So, JV finally got the memo saying LM had hired a few ex-ACES members a few years ago and he is labeling it as the Second Coming?

Uh... no. That's what seems to have happened here, though. The post on Orbx' forum came in the middle of a DX10 discussion, was a remark related to that, didn't come from JV and only generated a couple of further comments.

You've gotta love the internet...

Scott