Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

This is what our flight sims could look like

the video looked like "

" :lol:

I have been playing the heck out of Skyrim the last few weeks and was thinking the same thing. (Just completed Dawnguard and started the new Dragonborn expansion and the new island)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have been playing the heck out of Skyrim the last few weeks and was thinking the same thing. (Just completed Dawnguard and started the new Dragonborn expansion and the new island)

it is an amazing and fun RPG :drinks:

This demo might remind us of Skyrim because the trees there and in Skyrim are so evocative of speedtree technology. Those same similarities in foliage reminded me a bit of Microsoft flight as well.

(Not sure if speedtree is actually used in the demo, but if not, it's sure close!)

The good news is that this demo was designed with flight simulators in mind and unigine has an OpenFlight import capability.........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I found that they also have a Benchmark called "heaven" which allows virtual walk thrus of villages and other imaginary places.

Here's a youtube link:

And here's the url for the benchmark:

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Very amazing what a personal computer can display these days!

John

The heaven benchmark is from a while ago, but if you have a computer that can handle DirectX 11 you won't see a finer example of tessellation. You can also look for the Sanctuary and Tropics demos from them.

Devons rig

Saw this posted on Slashdot, Unigine have released a benchmark (you can download it) which features 64Km2 of scenery that shows off detail from the large to small.

You can download the benchmark and try it out yourself.

BTW if you're wondering about why bother with grass, it really gives those visual cues when flying a helicopter in a hover.

So Kickstarter anyone?

Yeah, I posted about this earlier at Orbx. Downloaded it too, amazing, you can walk around the whole area

A2A, PMDG, Eaglesoft and other high end aircraft, REX & Opus for the weather, VoxATC for the ATC, FS2Crew, Aivlasoft EFB with Orbx, Fly Tampa etc doing the scenery and it would come together all very nicely.......

A2A, PMDG, Eaglesoft and other high end aircraft, REX & Opus for the weather, VoxATC for the ATC, FS2Crew, Aivlasoft EFB with Orbx, Fly Tampa etc doing the scenery and it would come together all very nicely.......

What's obviously missing from that list?

What's obviously missing from that list?

It's not a comprehensive list but if you're refering to the underling engine I think that something as light as possible with an extensible architecture and well defined versioned APIs, standards etc is better than a 'try and boil the ocean' solution. How many developers work around the limitations of FSX and end up bypassing the core. Building flexibility and extensibility into the engine would be much better than trying to cover all systems itself.

Just posted the exact same video two days ago :)

It is impressive to say the least. Now I'm just sad I saw it because now FSX looks even more dated... It has even made Outerra look outdated.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Ha, yes tech moves quickly. Though this is only a tiny area compared to Outerra! I've fiddled with the outerra demo, it's still fairly bland and featureless.

Actually a lot of this new demo tech is in War Thunder already. Sun beams especially, gorgeous lighting! And their clouds