Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Looking to jump from the FSX ship

I tried the xplane demo and wasnt very impressed. Compared to FSX flying the PMDG 737, with AS2012 weather and UT2 traffic, xplane is very bland.

I tried the FSX demo and wasnt very impressed. Compared to XP10 64bit with lots of payware addons, FSX is very bland.

Well, X-Plane is catching up pretty well:

B777 / Ramzess

B727 / FlyJSim

CRJ200 / JRollon

JS32 / JRollon

Dash Q400 / FlyJSim

A320 / JARDesign

DC-3 / LeadingEdge

ATR72 / McPhat

I really do not see that many better aircraft add ons in FSX anymore... Other add ons (weather, traffic, ATC, ..) - well that is another matter.

You've got to be joking....

It's fairly difficult to list aircraft which FSX hasn't done better than X-plane.

X-plane is a growing sim but statements like that are just silly.

You've got to be joking....

It's fairly difficult to list aircraft which FSX hasn't done better than X-plane.

X-plane is a growing sim but statements like that are just silly.

No, I am not kidding at all. All those listed aircraft (well, except for ATR72 where FSX has a better one) are superior in X-Plane compare to FSX:

B777 - Ramzzess is better than anything available for FSX (until PMDG's one is out)

B727 - FlyJSim wins over CaptainSim easily

CRJ200 - no question here at all

JS32 - dtto, however JS4100 from PMDG is very good

Dash Q400 - until Majestic will release its beauty, X-Plane wins here too

A320 by JARDesign - this one is far from being perfect, but still better than Aerosoft Airbus Extended. We will see what comes to FSX...

DC-3 by LeadingEdge is way better than anything available for FSX

Any Carenado is better in X-Plane than in FSX.

... and IXEG's B737 classic is to be just amazing

I am open to any opinions to what I've stated above. Have you tried any of those aircraft? I doubt that. BTW, statements like "FSX has much more quality add on aircraft" are silly in present situation. I have and enjoy both X-Plane and FSX, however these statements I've mentioned are the silly ones.

No, I am not kidding at all. All those listed aircraft (well, except for ATR72 where FSX has a better one) are superior in X-Plane compare to FSX:

B777 - Ramzzess is better than anything available for FSX (until PMDG's one is out)

B727 - FlyJSim wins over CaptainSim easily

CRJ200 - no question here at all

JS32 - dtto, however JS4100 from PMDG is very good

Dash Q400 - until Majestic will release its beauty, X-Plane wins here too

A320 by JARDesign - this one is far from being perfect, but still better than Aerosoft Airbus Extended. We will see what comes to FSX...

DC-3 by LeadingEdge is way better than anything available for FSX

Any Carenado is better in X-Plane than in FSX.

... and IXEG's B737 classic is to be just amazing

I am open to any opinions to what I've stated above. Have you tried any of those aircraft? I doubt that. BTW, statements like "FSX has much more quality add on aircraft" are silly in present situation. I have and enjoy both X-Plane and FSX, however these statements I've mentioned are the silly ones.

I've got no argument to those you've posted, but you've just listed 8 aircraft....

Saying that any Carenado aircraft is better in XP10 is debatable at best, but just for fun let's consider only US military aircraft that are currently in use (off the top of my head);

A-10

B1

F15

F16

F18

F22

F35

B2

B52

C5

C17

C130

KC10

KC135

U2

T6

T38

DHC6

C2

E2

F5

P3

T45

So not even including helicopters, and limited only to current US military aircraft, how can you possibly say that FSX doesn't have MASSIVELY more quality aircraft than X-plane?

If we were to consider WW2 - can you name a single WW2 era aircraft done better in X-plane, barring the DC3?

Carenado aircraft in FSX don't have the torque bug. The JAR 320 is in alpha stage but they take your money.

HowardHughes, on 18 Mar 2013 - 20:05, said:

how can you possibly say that FSX doesn't have MASSIVELY more quality aircraft than X-plane?

More doesn't mean better! Yes FSX does have a lot to choose from, but only a few of the are really worth my money.

Give XP developers time and more high quality payware will be available.

GodAtum, on 19 Mar 2013 - 04:21, said:

I only fly heavies and the PMDG 737 and 747 trumps anything else.

I remember when PMDG came out with their B1900D, the first aircraft that I bought from them and it did not have a 3d cockpit, the quality of the 2d cockpit was ok, many switches didn't work. That was a few years back. So, you guys are comparing current FSX products that have been in the sim market for a few years with ones that are just barely coming out the oven. Seriously?

Again, give it time!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Are there any third-party demos for X-plane that fence-sitters like myself could try?

I don't mean the base X-plane, I mean scenery and aircraft.

For FSX ORBX have extremely good scenery demos, Just Flight do demos of photo-scenery and of many of their aircraft (usually they only display below 1000ft or so).

JF planes aren't the best of course ... Not aware of any other FSX demo a/c though.

Cheers

Keith

Are there any third-party demos for X-plane that fence-sitters like myself could try?

Try this awesome freeware scenery:

http://truscenery.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/truscenery-presents-helsinki-orthoscenery/

How about this awesome freeware x737: (The link says xp9, but its also XP 10 and compatible with 64-bit)

http://x-plane.benedikt-stratmann.de/index.php?aircraft-for-x-plane-9

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

How about this awesome freeware x737: (The link says xp9, but its also XP 10 and compatible with 64-bit)

That's your definition of awesome in X-Plane? It doesn't even have a VC! For freeware, it's not bad, but awesome? That's a stetch!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

That's your definition of awesome in X-Plane? It doesn't even have a VC! For freeware, it's not bad, but awesome? That's a stetch!!

Ok let me rephrase:

How about this nice x737, which this awesome developers have provided for free!! How about that?

I remember when PMDG came out with their B1900D, the first aircraft that I bought from them and it did not have a 3d cockpit, the quality of the 2d cockpit was ok, many switches didn't work.

A couple points of order regarding the 1900D - It's worth noting upon it's release in 2004, the Beech 1900D was the first of what was going to be PMDG's "lite" aircraft line - an airplane with very few systems/features, but still with good flight dynamics and visuals and a much lower pricepoint as well. To that end, it was very successful. The aircraft did indeed include a 3D virtual cockpit, and quite a good one for its time. I logged many hours in that sled for the VA I was in.

All that said, I do completely agree that developers need time to get their bearings with regards to X-Plane, especially if they are coming over from the MSFS world. It's an entirely different world over here. In PMDG's case, not only have they been designing for FS2004 prior to FSX, but they got their start in the Fly! series, which is where they made their name.

The only drawback to this entire situation is that there is still a huge, established market over on the MSFS side which continues to desire quality addons. Most development houses, much like Laminar Research themselves, have precious few resources to dedicate to projects - so many devs might choose to remain with the devil they know, as opposed to take a chance on the devil they don't know.

Ultimately, there's no need to abandon one platform for another. I'll likely be flying "dual" for many more years to come, as X-Plane slowly gathers steam. At some point down the line, it will hit a point of critical mass and it will make sense to leave the past behind... I just hope that point isn't 5 years away.

-Greg

with good flight dynamics and visuals and a much lower pricepoint as well.

Totally agree!

The aircraft did indeed include a 3D virtual cockpit, and quite a good one for its time.

You are right, it did have 3d cockpit (my bad), but honestly, it was basically useless, FSX default aircraft had way better 3d cockpit the this one. Granted, it's a nice aircraft and I put lots of hours onto it too.

> Try this awesome freeware

I guess that answers the question ...really need leading edge professionally produced examples to be able to make a comparison.

Not criticising freeware authors of any persuasion. :-)

Out of interest - is the Xplane demo now 64-bit, so we can see what effect that actually has?

Cheers

Keith

Out of interest - is the Xplane demo now 64-bit, so we can see what effect that actually has

Yes it is Keith, just make sure that when you download the demo, you update afterwards. When you launch XP, it will default to the 64-bit executable.

Carlos