Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Uh Oh! VIRUS

AVG has just reported 2 files have been infected by fsx_slew.exe/_fsx_slew.exe/ or something like that. Pretty close. I had not done a scan beforehand but I've only just turned on DX10 to have a look. I'm wondering if they're false positives. Please God, be false positives.

Jon

I never really liked AVG.. I usually use malewarebytes. It hasn't detected any viruses.

I never really liked AVG.. I usually use malewarebytes. It hasn't detected any viruses.

AVG's nice. It's gotten better over the years.

My suggestion: Download Malewarebytes and do a scan. If you're not sure yet, run Hitman Pro, Superantispyware, or Norton Power Eraser to make sure. Also, do a full scan with AVG. Is this the free version?

I personally use Avira, no viruses yet (knocks on wood)

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Malwarebytes came up empty. Whew. Doesn't AVG lock the files though if it can't identify it? Prevent them from being used. They weren't healed or removed.

Jon 

I gave up on AVG after a long time because of all the false alerts it gave. Now using Avast and it is much better.

G

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk. Typing errors expected....

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

The last few tests of freeware anti-virus programs were won by Avast.

I have been using Malwarebytes for a few years now as a "2nd opinion".

Great scanner....saved my butt a couple of times now!

FaxCap

Another +1 for Malwarebytes. Excellent little program. Doesn't hog your CPU or RAM and very accurate.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Eset is also one of the best AV around plus it has the smallest effect on FSX/P3D. Even when you turn them off, most of them are still running in the BG which has an effect on FSX/P3D. Always something to consider.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am using Comodo Internet Security (Free) currently. It also has flagged and removed some FS files in the past. Fortunately you can restore the files and add it to trusted files.

Some files for FS are designed to access yoy registry, some .dll files and several exe files. Some firusses do the same, therefore you will get false positives from time to time.

I personally use Avira, no viruses yet (knocks on wood)

Avira is the best antivirus for free. The only reason I don't use it is because of the popup ad that appears every time you start your computer.

Eset is also one of the best AV around plus it has the smallest effect on FSX/P3D. Even when you turn them off, most of them are still running in the BG which has an effect on FSX/P3D. Always something to consider.

Vic

ESET NOD32 is the best antivirus in the world... Too bad it's not free.

I am using Comodo Internet Security (Free) currently. It also has flagged and removed some FS files in the past. Fortunately you can restore the files and add it to trusted files.

Some files for FS are designed to access yoy registry, some .dll files and several exe files. Some firusses do the same, therefore you will get false positives from time to time.

I had COMODO on my computer, but Defence+ started flagging lots of stuff as false positives and so I got rid of it. Edited by linux731

I totally like Avast except for one small thing: it sandboxes each of the Navigraph AIRAC installers until it can find nothing wrong with them, then allows the installations to continue. A minor inconvenience. I guess I could disable Avast until the installations are complete, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to green-light the Navigraph installers?

Thanks.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

.....so I take it as you're all commenting on and comparing freeware anti-virus software you only use freeware FS add-ons? :P

I know we're (Simulator fans of all sorts) ALL add-on junkies ....but come on guys?  Without our high end boxes the sims don't run so surely they're worth a few bucks worth of TLC? B)

I've used McAfee for years, as did the organisation I worked for.  It now comes included with the deal from my ISP here in the UK.

One utility (comes as freeware with a payware upgrade - but doesn't ram that down your throat, merely gives you a choice with the frequent updates) is C Cleaner.  The plus of this programe is that it strips out all the junk various processes dump all over your hard drive as well as the potential malware.  It also has an excellent Registry cleaner/fixer which comes with a one click BACKUP before it does anything.  A no brainer really? 

Geoff

Geoff Brown