Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

MD11, still worth it?

It's amazing!! Worth every penny. The flightdeck still looks amazing, even now.

Get it, you won't regret it!!

Thanks again guys! Bought it last night (how could I not!). It will do me a world of good to de-NGXsing me above all else lol!

Just a quick one, does the FS2crew have a voice commander version or is it just button control?

Just a quick one, does the FS2crew have a voice commander version or is it just button control?

Just button version. Bryan didn't had a SDK to work with at that time. So you will be having panels popups. So, be careful with loosing the focus on the FSX window or ALT-Tabing.

Anyway, I couldn't fly with out it.!!!

I bought the MD-11 a few weeks ago myself to calm down the the heavies lust till the T7 arrives. It wasn't until 4-5 days later after getting somewhat comfortable with the systems and techniques of the aircraft that I realized there was absolutely no window reflections, dirt, or smudges on the VC windscreens. Normally that kind of detail, or lack there of, smacks me within 30 sec. upon entering a VC being the VC junky I am, but the immersion level of the aircraft had me so captivated it just plum escaped my attention. It finally hit me there were no reflections when I was established in cruise and admiring the photoreal scenery below, and thinking to myself why does everything outside look much better in this MD-11 than with the NGX lol :) So overall it's been money well spent MD-11 + FS2Crew.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

As a matter of fact FedEx is still flying them. They brought in 2 pandas from China yesterday to Toronto on their Panda Express livery. This is still one of my favourite birds.

RFon

Ron Service

PMDG ended the FS2004 era by creating the excellent bird. Thank You.

How many "really good" simulations do we have in FSX?

PMDG 737NGX,

PMDG MD11,

PMDG JS4100

(guilty pleasure VRS F/A-18 with tacpac... FLIR!)

Leonardo Maddog MD80

Realair BE60T Turbine Duke (ONLY IF you have RealityXP GNS530 for an extra $50)

PMDG 747-400X

Realair Lancair Legacy LEG2 (Same caveat about RealityXP GNS530)

LDS767 (systems are great, Virtual Cockpit graphics not really up there).

Majestic Software Dash 8-300 (The conversion from FS9 to FSX almost works. The VC doesn't look great).

the FSlabs Concorde might go somewhere up in there too, but I don't have it. (I often joke "Vintage planes don't interest me that much")

I'd seriously consider putting the Project Tupolev Tu154 up there maybe just behind the 747-400x, however their FS9 Tu154M version was better than their current FSX Tu154B2 in my opinion (freeware KLN90B & Full pressurization & pneumatics simulation, instead of RealityXP GNS430 & no pressurization simulation).

The Feelthere ERJ135/145 is pretty nice too.. I find their E190/195 a little less convincing particularly in regards to Virtual Cockpit shading & textures (mostly the reflectivity of the MCP is all wrong). I also don't much like the sounds that they provided.

Carenado aren't too bad for what they do, but I find the RealityXP GNS integration in their newer products doesn't quite work all that well, and the Default GPS from FSX is a bad joke. Realair integrate the RealityXP GNS very well indeed, but you have to buy it seperatley for $50 or $100 if you want the GNS430 too, and $150 total if you want both the 530 and 430 to work in the same airplane at the same time... or if you want TCAS/D - Realair would be down here with Carenado if the RealityXP GNS's weren't installed.

You may notice the complete lack of one or two payware aircraft developers in my list... there might be a reason for that ;) - I once had a 757 that I uninstalled after using about 4 times.

Overall though, MD11 goes second in my "overall" list, and is the first one on my list capable of a 12 hour non-stop flight. I fully expect the 777 to top the list when the time comes. 747-400v2 will probably score above the MD11 too, but as of 31/03/2013, the MD11 is 2nd place behind the 737NGX overall.

I have not included aircraft I don't have (iFly, FSlabs, etc even though some of them may well be very very good).

Those are good planes for the list.  There are quite a few out there that are great 'complete' planes...ie good system dept, FDE, good visuals..etc.  I would add the Baytower RV-7, it has one of the best non-RXP custom default GNS530 around IMHO.  Works great with RXP as well.  Classics Hanger BF-108 is also tops.  Aerosoft planes such as Katana, OV-10, Dimona, Discus..etc are all excellent. 

Anything from A2A's Accusim line is tops and should be on that list, A2A may be even a little farther ahead of PMDG in terms of all out system depth, such as with fluid dynamics and wear & tear modelling. 

Starting the Civil P-51 for instance on a very cold day.  Old V-12s and batteries don't like starting on cold days, so you drain a lot more juice.  The generator is ineffective below 1500RPM, however you need to wait until oil temp reaches 40C before increasing power above 1000RPM.  Consquently on a cold day, your battery might be dead after starting and  you won't be able to run anything off the avionics bus until you can run the engine above 1500RPM.   However you only need 1200-1400 or so for taxiing.  Above that and you will be using the brakes alot, which will wear out with more use.  Your oil pressure will also be very high on a cold day as well, so you may need to run some oil dilution too.  These components will in turn wear out sooner or later depending on your level of aircraft care and attention to detail of systems monitoring.  You actually should do an engine run-up because mag drop. suction..etc might actually exceed acceptable limits.

Can't wait for the PMDG DC-6 tho, because everything they do is awesome  :biggrin:

Cheers

TJ

can it be flown successfully with a 2 engine throttle?

ZORAN

can it be flown successfully with a 2 engine throttle?

You may need to 'link' 2 engines to 1 throttle (ie Throttle 1 is engine 1 & 2, Throttle 2 is engine 3.), which is possible.

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents, if you haven't already bought it after all these positive reviews! Here's another one. The PMDG MD-11 was the second Airliner addon I bought, after the LevelD 767. I've had it since 2010 and have not stopped flying it since, I got bored with the LEVELD 767 although it is very well done...but for some reason the MD-11 still captures my interest! It is great to hand fly and as someone else suggested, get the AoA flight training vids and you'll be set! Hand flying VORDME ARC and visual approaches in this bird are just so rewarding! Happy days

Absolutely have to agree, hand flying her is fantastic, specially challenging airports.... I flew to Madeira a few days ago, and although hand flying the whole approach gave me the thrill I needed, the stiff crosswind means it will take a few days to repair before I can fly her again...rofl

Oh Yeaaah  without a doubt 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5