Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

No Love For Default Aircraft?

FSX's default CRJ cockpit is great. No immersion-breaking bugs like other default airliner cockpits and you can merge it with POSKY's FSX-native exterior model (which is a bit more accurate than MS's) and the mentioned sound pack and gauge fixes as a bonus.

The flight dynamics are very much okay and the systems modeling is good enough for some easygoing airlining around NA or Europe.

The default 738 VC got very usable after Alejandro Rojas' rebuild, so that's basically another well working default cockpit that can be used with a suitable exterior model (POSKY).

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Some of those old, inexpensive FS9 addon planes can easily be copied'n'pasted into FSX to perform just/nearly the same ...

They don't perform nearly the same, they perform worse.

I was just curious about any FS9 airplanes you could keep on flying in FSX, but older stuff than FS9 doesn't make much sense there.

It's possible, but it's not a good idea. If you ever decide to use DX10, those planes won't work, and your performance will actually decrease vs a totally native FSX airplane.

The King Air 350 should at least have a GPS in the center panel of the virtual cockpit.

Since you mention the King Air, I'd like to say that this one is - together with the default 747 - the worst plane that ships with FSX IMHO. The VC is below the standard MS set with the other models (and I want to note that this standard isn't that high, although most of the planes are indeed very nice, especially for the few euros FSX costs)

I think the answer to the question depends on what is meant by "good enough"? Some replies answer that question in terms of looks, either VC or externals, some in terms of fun or easy to fly. I still am unsure what the OP had in mind with his question, though. But I'll add another perspective taking "good enough" as a question about realistic flight models...in other words, do any of the default aircraft do a decent job of modeling the flight behavior of those aircraft or just in general. The answer to that question is definitely no. But then neither do a number of payware aircraft.

I don't believe I have anywhere near enough experience to suggest what is "good enough". As I stated in the original post "they generally seem okay to a novice." I was hoping to hear from experienced users what they thought of the various default aircraft and what's important to satisfy their needs since I'm honestly in no position to judge (except maybe for 'eye candy').

The replies have been exactly the sort I was hoping for - particularly when they include specific issues and recommendations on how to take a mediocre default model and make it into a decent one.

At this early stage, I guess my priorities are on reasonably accurate flight characteristics and good looks (particularly the VC). Advanced systems accuracy and functionality maybe less so because I'm still learning the basics. The trend seems to be that as one becomes a more sophisticated simmer, the accuracy/realism becomes increasingly important - correct modeling of flight systems, accurate procedures/checklist from cold and dark startup, loading...etc.

Thanks again to all who have responded!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well, that seems like a good approach to me to start with.  If you will mention what kind of flight mission you are most interested in (tubes, fast GA, low and slow, bush flying, eggbeating...) then I'm sure there will be plenty of people to suggest good mods for the default aircraft that fit that mission profile, and a good payware aircraft or two to start with.  I'm someone who has always said that for stick and rudder, seat of your pants realism in sim aircraft that will help you learn how to fly, it's hard to beat the Accu-sim Cub. But there are a number of very good aircraft out there.  

So, what's your poison?

Hi Brian,

If you're new to FSX you might think the default planes are ok, but trust me, the quality of payware add-ons out there is hugely better than MS's default planes.

The only default plane I would ever consider flying is the C208B Caravan, because I feel the flight dynamics are actually better than in the Carenado C208B model.

But aside from that, I haven't flown a default FSX aircraft in around 5 years. :smile:

I second that. 

If you don't have time for manuals and systems (yes, it's still possible to enjoy FS without them), then some of the default aircraft are very good. I use the MS 737 and 747 VC in the POSKY birds. And the default CRJ is very nicely done. The vc's are good looking without the frame rate hit. Same goes for the C172 and Caravan. Just discovered a nice texture upgrade for the King Air (hbka350_hd_130408).

I like the default Caravan along with a Maule aswell as the default glider it looks great VC wise as does the Caravan

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I deleted everything except the Bell206, probably because i have no experience with helicopters and that one "flies well" for my needs :P

Maybe I'll delete some of them since you're not having issues Nuno. I've always been wary of it because I thought it would give FSX another excuse to crash.

The default 738 VC got very usable after Alejandro Rojas' rebuild, so that's basically another well working default cockpit that can be used with a suitable exterior model (POSKY).

Absolutely.  Rojas's work did wonders for the panel functionality in the B738.  However, the default exterior model is just all wrong!  Hated it.

Thank God for POSKY.

Another new gem is http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Frank+Schnibben&CatID=fsx&Go=Search'>Frank Schnibben's work he's done on the default KA 350.  New, very high quality, high-resolution textures for both the exterior and interior.  Visually transformed the aircraft, and though the default flight model is a bit hokey, at least it looks the part now.  Highly recommended.

Just need someone to work on the FDE and Instruments, now!  :)

Absolutely.  Rojas's work did wonders for the panel functionality in the B738.  However, the default exterior model is just all wrong!  Hated it.

Thank God for POSKY.

Another new gem is Frank Schnibben's work he's done on the default KA 350.  New, very high quality, high-resolution textures for both the exterior and interior.  Visually transformed the aircraft, and though the default flight model is a bit hokey, at least it looks the part now.  Highly recommended.

Just need someone to work on the FDE and Instruments, now!  :)

That is a massive improvement on the textures.  Now it just needs better avionics.  I think there was an improved flight model put out by Metzgerva (I probably spelled the name wrong).

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I went looking for this upgrade and ended up downloading a freeware piece off Simviation:

Southwest Airlines 'Colorado One' Boeing 737-700 Package. (Category: FSX > Civil Jets)

Zip file preview

108.61Mb (1260 downloads)

FSX Southwest Airlines 'Colorado One' Boeing 737-700w. Model by Project Opensky/Skyspirit. with advanced VC. Professional textures by Mathieu Vos. For Microsoft Flight Simulator X upgraded to FSX using Alejandro Rojas Lucena/FSND revised Boeing 737-800 VC model. This model includes Working wipers (right mouse click on switch) with rain effect. Switches for LCD Screens, EICAS, PFD, MFT. Autobrake switch. Opening pilots window. Cabin Lights switch. Realistic FMC. Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS), More Realistic night textures. Includes stairs (shift e 2). Also added jetway (Ctrl J) and there are custom Boeing 737 sounds included for that extra realism. Thank you to Mathieu Vos for his great repaints! Skyspirit/Project Opensky's wonderful native FSX Boeing 737-700 WE model included. Modified and assembled for FSX by Chris Evans.

Seems to have improvements you suggested plus a bit. Is this a better alternative than the default 737-800? I presume it's not up tot he PMDG 737NGX (which seems to a top choice for payware)but the price is right!

That is a massive improvement on the textures. Now it just needs better avionics. I think there was an improved flight model put out by Metzgerva (I probably spelled the name wrong).

I located these textures and a panel upgrade. I found references to an improved KA350 .air file by Alex Metzger (I presume this is what you were referring to), but i could not lay my hands on that file. Does anybody have it?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

There's another "air file" out there that pretends to be an FDE for the King Air, via an application called Air Wrench, but all it does is add sections in the aircraft's config file and does nothing with the FDE itself.  Not really a fan of it, frankly.

Using Aircraft Airfile Manager v2.1, I've done some work on the default King Air's FDE by copying over from the AFG B300's airfile (which is acknowledged to have an excellent air file) the relevant sections of the engine and propeller parameters, as well as the wing and control surfaces, that are common between the two aircraft.  The default King Air still maintains it's own unique dimensions and values where applicable however, so it doesn't fly absolutely identical to the AFG B300.  I've also made some minor adjustments in the default King Air config to keep pace with the changes in the air file.

Obviously, this is not the optimum solution since creating a competent air file from scratch would be ideal, but the results have been very satisfactory, much closer to real-world performances, especially in cruise configuration.  The results have certainly been much better than what the default values yielded, many of which were simplified in the extreme or simply glossed over.

Unfortunately, I have not uploaded the modified FDE because many of the new values used are the product of someone else's work, and that work is copyrighted.  Ari Kaihlanen is the author of the AFG B300's air file but their web site has long since been down and I haven't been able to get in contact with him for permissions.  If anyone knows how to get in touch with him regarding this it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to share it.

I can't remember when I flew a default aircraft as now I fly with real air, eaglesoft, a2a etc they are very pale.

Someone mentioned the a2a cub, nice simple aircraft that flies very well.

For freeware the goshawk as you mentioned is great and try the basket bt6 turbo for a fantastic add on.

If you like GA then the a2a civ mustang is an awesome aircraft, on VATSIM my flights are all p51 and citation x at the moment.

I'd love to share it.

Do it. Just mention that it's AFG's base data and you should be good to go.

If they complain (which is very, very unlikely), you can still have it removed.

Seems to have improvements you suggested plus a bit.

Yes and no.

The default 737 VC is adjusted to the -800's fuselage length, while the model in the above package is a -700. Hence, the VC will be a bit too much forward compared to the exterior model.

If you can live with that, okay. I usually can't.

And I tend to create my own packages instead of downloading others anyway.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days