Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Pro ATC X or Radar Contact

Its so funny to hear people talk about voices.  My voice is in RC, along with some of my good friends. Its a long pains taking process. With lots of SID/STAR names in the database it will soon require recording over 10,000 words or phrases.

We have voices from the US, UK, Italy, NZ and Austrailia.  But getting folks from Germany, France, Spain, Canada and Mexico to volenteer was almost impossible.  Text to voice technology is the only way to make variable voices a reality.  Microsoft owns some of that technology but its not accented.

This voice issue is far more difficult than most folks are aware of.

Bob

Its so funny to hear people talk about voices. My voice is in RC, along with some of my good friends. Its a long pains taking process. With lots of SID/STAR names in the database it will soon require recording over 10,000 words or phrases.

We have voices from the US, UK, Italy, NZ and Austrailia. But getting folks from Germany, France, Spain, Canada and Mexico to volenteer was almost impossible. Text to voice technology is the only way to make variable voices a reality. Microsoft owns some of that technology but its not accented.

This voice issue is far more difficult than most folks are aware of.

Bob

I know that feeling too well. I work in a fairly technical field, and the "this should be simple/easy/cheap", and "this should just work" comments drive me nuts. If you don't know what you are talking about, or don't have facts to support your claims, be respectful or keep it to yourself.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Text to voice technology is the only way to make variable voices a reality.

Yes, and there are really some excellent voices available. But the good ones aren't cheap. I wonder how many different voices folks would put up with when they cost nearly as much, each, as the ATC program itself? You'd tend to make do with two or three to start, and perhaps add some more on your Birthday or at Christmas, perhaps finishing up with somethnig really excellent over the years ...

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Bobby, if JD continues to develop v5, would it be easy to get on the list to have my voice set for the new version?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have all of them but enjoy VoxATC the most by far. The voice interaction is great; you get Sid/Stars, held short for runway crossing, taxi guidance etc for Ifr and Vfr flights.

+1

Guys this is a wait and see.  But remember, if we do V5 are you willing to put in hours and hours of recordings.  That what it takes.  Just to give a flavor of voices, in the US the word "altimeter" is pronouced "ALTIMERter" in the UK its ALTImeter.  Its a long process, but worth it.

Bob

bobbyjoh, on 21 May 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Guys this is a wait and see. But remember, if we do V5 are you willing to put in hours and hours of recordings. That what it takes. Just to give a flavor of voices, in the US the word "altimeter" is pronouced "ALTIMERter" in the UK its ALTImeter. Its a long process, but worth it.

Bob

Bob: any idea when we see a v5? It has been years.

I would also add that AFAIK only RC interacts with AI jets on the ground, sequencing them along with you.

spacer.png

What RC lacks is SID/STAR interaction. We were working on that during the RCv5 development. Some of us, like me, put those in our flight plans. Others would like for the program to pick those when the runways are selected.

Hello!

I used RC4 over two years. I even combined it with It's your Plane, so that I could (sort of) talk to RC4. If RC5 development gets under way, I would like to mention three things that would make a difference:

1) SID's and STARs

2) Vectoring altitudes based on FAF altitude (when applicable)

3) Taxi clearances and possibly progressive taxi

About SID's and STARs. When flying in the US, it's no problem to add the SIDs and STARs to your plan as the US versions are not runway specific. In Europe, you might not want to do that, because the waypoints are either runway specific or common for runways facing in a common heading.

The vectoring in RC4 is quite good, but you sometimes get vectored into a mountain. I wish that this could get some attention.

The taxiway instructions are missing, I tend to request FSX ATC for taxi instructions when using RC4. This is a good feature to have.

Now do not understand my post work. RC4 is very good program. These would make it even better.

---

I currently use VoxATC, Pro ATC and RC4. All have their strong points and areas that could be improved. None of them is perfect, this is why I can't suggest another simmer to buy one or another.

It all depends what you want/need.

Complete control of AI traffic, dynamic SID and STARs, ground traffic handling, terrain avoidance, voice interaction, background ATC chatter (with AI or real world), radio frequency ping-pong elimination, IFR and VFR?

None of the ATC programs have all those features.

Edited by jpuustinen