Sign in to follow this  
Guest Id Rather Be Flying

New Flight Simulator

Four part-timers managing contributions in their area of expertise sounds more feasible.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I found a flight sim advertised on the Internet called Virtual Pilot 3d.  It claims to be 64-bit, but there seems (to me) to be many unanswered concerns, such as: is it compatible with FSX, FS9, and/or X-Plane add-ons?  Also, does it work with FSUIPC, ActiveSky, REX, and other add-ons?  Does anyone know anything factual about this Virtual Pilot 3d program?  Like many of you, I have also installed P3D (on a separate Hard drive) and do enjoy using it.  I have found it to be compatible with most FSX programs and add-ons; however, I've found a few programs (fsx) that simply will not work with P3D.  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any real, factual experience with this 64-bit Virtual Pilo 3d program.

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 PM
saed45, on 29 Mar 2013 - 16:37, said:

2TB? what are you talking about? 

Sorry!  2GB! 

why is my ###### meter going up for you. how does a software developer who has been making software since he was a kid doesnt know that 32 bit only supports up to 4 gigs of ram. 

Virtual Pilot 3D is just a rip off of Flightgear.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

why is my ###### meter going up for you. how does a software developer who has been making software since he was a kid doesnt know that 32 bit only supports up to 4 gigs of ram.

Saed, you are correct and I apologize.  Wasn't quite thinking, when it should have been 4GB.  Sorry for the mistakes and will try and think better before I type!

Noel, I was just stating that at LEAST people have a dual/quad at this point is all.

Carmine, can you better define your mission statement at this time?  For example...

• Who is the target audience?
  • What is the anticipated life cycle for the core engine Version 1.0?
  • What basic elements are intended to run w/in the sim versus peripheral components that will integrate thru SDKs?  How aggressively will you collaborate w/ established 3PDs very early on in order to attract strong support of peripheral components that will be readied near the initial release, with much more depth than might be present in versions of these components present initially for demonstration purposes?  
  • Windows OS only?  Open Source?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Ok... speaking of ###### meters... how much physical memory can a single application running in a 32-bit environment actually reserve for it's own use? I'll give you a hint: It's not 4GB. :wink:

I'll give a second hint: There's a difference between an application accessing memory and using memory for it's own needs.

Also... the 2GB statement actually has some factual 'history' behind it... if you've been developing software for a long, long time... you might be able to say why... I know I can.

In short... I think your ###### meter is a bit flawed... or perhaps seriously clogged with ###### and thus not functioning well. :wink:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ok... speaking of ###### meters... how much physical memory can a single application running in a 32-bit environment actually reserve for it's own use? I'll give you a hint: It's not 4GB. :wink:

I'll give a second hint: There's a difference between an application accessing memory and using memory for it's own needs.

Also... the 2GB statement actually has some factual 'history' behind it... if you've been developing software for a long, long time... you might be able to say why... I know I can.

In short... I think your ###### meter is a bit flawed... or perhaps seriously clogged with ###### and thus not functioning well. :wink:

hey i admit. i never have developed a software in my life so idk the technical details. ill take me being wrong any day because i want to believe these guys can make the next great sim. 

how much physical memory can a single application running in a 32-bit environment actually reserve for it's own use?

Do tell us the answer!.

hey i admit. i never have developed a software in my life so idk the technical details. ill take me being wrong any day because i want to believe these guys can make the next great sim.

While a 32-bit application can address a 4GB range of memories... it's technically a 'moot point' because a huge chunk of that is used up by hardware, etc. Of course, with newer OS'es... this is less and less of a problem.. but the original statement of 2GB wasn't inaccurate in that with earlier versions of Windows applications had a 2GB memory limit due to hardware and video memory mapping within the 4GB memory range. As example... people were modifying their FS executable by setting a 3GB switch... because without it, it couldn't access more than 2GB of memory at the time (prior to a SP release that corrected the issue).

So... the statement was not inaccurate... just dated.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

how much physical memory can a single application running in a 32-bit environment actually reserve for it's own use?

You didn't tell us how much.