Sign in to follow this  
Guest Id Rather Be Flying

New Flight Simulator

I've started playing War Thunder, it's a free to play combat flight sim and it's great. As soon as I started playing it, it instantly made me think of the idea of a flight sim that looked and ran as good as this did..

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Been a few months but also I said that the Blog would be where I would update the status.  For starters, it didn't go down the dumps guys and it's not going to be a few months working on and off part time that there is going to be anything appreciable to show.  For now there is a lull in development and as I stated previously, if it takes a few years to get somewhere with it then that's what it will take.  I never promised anything to anyone, nor did I ask for any money.  All I asked was for input and what direction it should take.  I WILL however ask if there are other talented interested C++ developers who want to jump on this then send me a message.

For now, as stated before:  ** I WILL UPDATE THE BLOG WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN **

The project is not forgotten, just slow and it will take some time.  Patience my friends!

Take care and enjoy the 777 for now and new things coming from Lockheed and other 3rd party devs!

Carmine

Been a few months but also I said that the Blog would be where I would update the status.  For starters, it didn't go down the dumps guys and it's not going to be a few months working on and off part time that there is going to be anything appreciable to show.  For now there is a lull in development and as I stated previously, if it takes a few years to get somewhere with it then that's what it will take.  I never promised anything to anyone, nor did I ask for any money.  All I asked was for input and what direction it should take.  I WILL however ask if there are other talented interested C++ developers who want to jump on this then send me a message.

For now, as stated before:  ** I WILL UPDATE THE BLOG WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN **

The project is not forgotten, just slow and it will take some time.  Patience my friends!

Take care and enjoy the 777 for now and new things coming from Lockheed and other 3rd party devs!

Carmine

Thanks for the update Carmine.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Enthusiast and Developers:

Is it really that difficult to develop a new flight simulator? With so many bright developers out there I wonder why no one (or a team of several developers), come together and develop a new FS? Instead, they keep feeding an old, and broken flight simulator.

Can you imagine the amount of money the new developer would make? I once read Aerosoft was going to develop a new simulator- not sure what happened.

I don't know for sure.  My guess is as we FSX people get older there are not too many kids who can peel themselves away from XBOX/PS(whatever).  I'm sort of thinking there is a shrinking market?  I'm probably wrong, and I hope I am.  I've often wondered the same thing.  

Respectfully,

Jet

I don't know for sure. My guess is as we FSX people get older there are not too many kids who can peel themselves away from XBOX/PS(whatever). I'm sort of thinking there is a shrinking market? I'm probably wrong, and I hope I am. I've often wondered the same thing.

It's a shrinking market I think because technical flyers and real pilots generally keep pushing to make it as close to flying the real thing as possible, without providing any access point for lower levels of entry.

X-Plane is almost a poster child for this. Designed by a tech simmer for like minded simmers with little to no entry point for more casual interest.

FSX is the most successful civilian flight simulator franchise in history, for a reason. It was designed to appeal to a broad range of people, and it did, but every time I hear of a new sim the conversation quickly becomes about the type of sim that's doomed to commercial failure before it's even off the ground because people almost deliberately disdain any hints of mass market appeal that might support the development of any such sim.

So we end up hoping to ride on the coattails of companies like LM, since there seems no other way to fund development of non-general audience civilian sim.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The project is not forgotten, just slow and it will take some time.

Any updates for us Carmine?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

So we end up hoping to ride on the coattails of companies like LM, since there seems no other way to fund development of non-general audience civilian sim.

Laminar Research has been funding development of their flight sim for a long time and the user base keeps just growing. In reality there are many non-mainstream game types (train simulators for example) with relatively small but dedicated communities and the simulators are mostly being made by small enthusiast companies. We don't necessarily need big companies although LM developing Prepar3d is certainly a nice sight. 

I don't think most of the so called mainstream audience attracted by FSX really used it that long, I believe most of those who still use it would have started simming sooner or later even with some less accessible platform. 

Laminar Research has been funding development of their flight sim for a long time and the user base keeps just growing. In reality there are many non-mainstream game types (train simulators for example) with relatively small but dedicated communities and the simulators are mostly being made by small enthusiast companies. We don't necessarily need big companies although LM developing Prepar3d is certainly a nice sight.

The problem with that is that while i hear it again and again, peering closer doesn't necessarily support it. For instance, while the X-plane user base is growing, its still a small fraction of the size of the FSX market, and a lot of the development money to keep them going has come from..... (surprise) sales of more consumer friendly tablet/Pad versions.......

Likewise Train Simulator has been on steam for quite a while, and has aggressively gone after a broader audience by working diligently on a (very) friendly user interface while increasing the eye candy and and allowing simpler and more accessible control options as well as full simulator mode. (their business model is probably what influenced FLIGHT!) Their goal is mainstream acceptance (and development dollars) through console versions as well, and Aerofly is also following that model.

I don't think most of the so called mainstream audience attracted by FSX really used it that long, I believe most of those who still use it would have started simming sooner or later even with some less accessible platform.

Even if I grant that, and I 'm not totally sure that I do, the question I would ask is do newer sims, (like Xplane) seemingly designed for the already initiated, allow the same kind of varying entry point to the world of simulation as FSX did, or do they almost actively discourage access to all but the most intensely interested. Sometimes it seems like we've climbed a ladder and allowed it to decay to ruins behind us, blocking others form easily making the climb we did.

War thunder, for instance, has a very active gaming oriented flight community, but with the dollars earned from that, is also wiling and able to support a more focused and disciplined hardcore community at the same time, normally the best of both worlds, allowing them to fund the type of development that we can only dream of. They currently have at least 5 million unique users, and growing. What could this community accomplish with even a fraction of those types of numbers? If we were only wiling to lower a new ladder..

Would this proposed new sim do that?

Dom says: April 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm Ben; is it in X-Plane’s road map for it to be used by a general audience; say for example like FSX?

Ben Supnik says: April 28, 2013 at 11:55 am That depends on how general general is. I would say it _is_ our intention that X-Plane be usable by a general audience, but our strategy is _not_ to be as mass-market as FSX tried to be. (But: I don’t know what FSX’s real marketing goals were, so who knows.) I do think that anyone who uses FSX with add-on aircraft or scenery could be using X-Plane.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Seems like the video I posted doesn't work! Trying again.

In reality there are many non-mainstream game types (train simulators for example) with relatively small but dedicated communities

In regards to that, Train Simulator is embracing the mainstream. (and reaping the rewards with rapid growth) They are even changing the name of the company to dovetail games to make official their expanding horizons. http://www.engine-driver.com/article/show/1162/railsimulator-com-becomes-dovetail-games

Simulation accepting the masses can mean.... growth?

Devons rig

If TS2014 was reduced to something like £5 for a one day super sale (or something like that), I would probably purchase it. That may be enough to get me hooked, and then I would want most of the UK routes!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Wow , OP you developing a new sim, that's fantastic news. Hope it turns out well. And I am sure most from the community would really want one more sim in there basket.  64 bit would be the thing to start with , I am no programmer or have any knowledge of it, but just saying. 

Been simming since years on the MS platform but decided to go XP10 this time needed a change , now only using  FS9 from MS and no more FSX for me.  

BTW where is your blog ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

No, the OP is not creating anything at all. He's simply commenting on the progress of the Prepar3D simulator engine.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator