Sign in to follow this  
ferangel2000

B777 Go-around at Glasgow

A little video from youtube.

This video shows an Emirates B777 powering away after aborting a landing due to windsheer. Watch the B777 being tossed around like a ragdoll before the pilot decides that "enough is enough" and performs a go-around, landing successfully on the second attempt.

Regards.

Fher.

ATO VATMEX director, VATNA P1-P2 instructor (spanish), VATSIM 897455, more than 9000 hrs flight.

Not for a windshear go-around. Here we press to/ga to ensure max thrust and if extended retract the speedbrakes. But apart from that we don't change configuration until out of the windshear.

positive rate gear up? no?

But apart from that we don't change configuration until out of the windshear.

I can understand not retracting flaps due to low and uncertain airspeed, but why leave the gear down?  Wouldn't the gear just create drag and reduce acceleration and maneuverability?

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I can understand not retracting flaps due to low and uncertain airspeed, but why leave the gear down? Wouldn't the gear just create drag and reduce acceleration and maneuverability?

Thanks,

Mike

The gear doors opening create more drag during the retract process. Also, I tend to also think another factor is so that the pilots are focused on the windshear escape procedure and not messing with configuration. Plus, if it was a tailwind shear, wouldn't you want something to cushion the fall? Haha

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

The gear doors opening create more drag during the retract process

Absolutely correct!

As Los Pilotos said, our company policy is 'Windshear go-around', apply full TOGA thrust (either manually or through the TOGA switches) then, if the A/P is engaged, monitor, if manually flying, pitch up to 15 degrees, and roll wings level. Ensure the speedbrake is stowed and maintain aircraft config.

The gear doors create a massive amount of drag when they drop to let the wheels in, hence the advice is that, in the critical initial phase of the windshear, leave the gear down, the aircraft has enough grunt to overcome the gear drag.

Windshear often has two components, especially in a microburst scenario, one going in and one going out with what appears to be normal performance in between.

Glasgow often experiences turbulence windshear with a westerly wind as the wind comes down off of the high ground from the west.

The standard profile is to fly the windshear until both the pilots are positive that the event has finished (both the primary and secondary) and then to convert the manoeuvre into a standard go-around by calling 'Go-Around, Flaps 20, Positive rate, gear up'.

P.S. At most standard landing weights the thing goes up like a rocket!

Nice vid

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The gear doors opening create more drag during the retract process. Also, I tend to also think another factor is so that the pilots are focused on the windshear escape procedure and not messing with configuration.

Absolutely correct!

As Los Pilotos said, our company policy is 'Windshear go-around', apply full TOGA thrust (either manually or through the TOGA switches) then, if the A/P is engaged, monitor, if manually flying, pitch up to 15 degrees, and roll wings level. Ensure the speedbrake is stowed and maintain aircraft config.

The gear doors create a massive amount of drag when they drop to let the wheels in, hence the advice is that, in the critical initial phase of the windshear, leave the gear down, the aircraft has enough grunt to overcome the gear drag.

Windshear often has two components, especially in a microburst scenario, one going in and one going out with what appears to be normal performance in between.

Glasgow often experiences turbulence windshear with a westerly wind as the wind comes down off of the high ground from the west.

The standard profile is to fly the windshear until both the pilots are positive that the event has finished (both the primary and secondary) and then to convert the manoeuvre into a standard go-around by calling 'Go-Around, Flaps 20, Positive rate, gear up'.

P.S. At most standard landing weights the thing goes up like a rocket!

Thanks to both of you and Los Pilotos.  Gear door drag never occurred to me. 

Plus, if it was a tailwind shear, wouldn't you want something to cushion the fall? Haha

I think the extended gear in BA 038 at Heathrow did in fact help to cushion the landing, but I doubt that is a contributing reason why keeping the gear down is the standard procedure! 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Dunno why but all I could see was a big pile of gold coins.... LOVE the accent!

Gaun yersell big man...only a Glaswegian would come out with that!

-Iain Watson-