Sign in to follow this  
justinpilotatc

VERY PATH FULL

Hadn't seen this until tonight. ORD to DCA with the fredm1 arrival and RNAV 19 approach. Seems to overload the vnav path calculations.

This has come up a couple times before.  From the looks of Ryan's response in one of them (here) it would be helpful to submit a ticket to them.  That way, they might be able to fix it in a future SP.

For what it's worth, even though this seems to be a sim problem, even aircraft/pilots in the real world hate the FRDMM1, particularly in cases where full VNAV+A/T isn't available.

Kyle Rodgers

Ahh,thanks for the link. I searched the forums but nothing came up.

I hated the eldee arrival into DCA if there was icing in the descent. I flew the ERJ for eagle and with the added power required for the anti icing system made it dang near impossible to make the restrictions.

Last night that's exactly what I had to do. Vnav not available due to the vert path full error and I had a a/t failure to boot. Definitely added work load. Thank goodness the alt rest are between restrictions. Makes it much easier then hard altitudes.

I hated the eldee arrival into DCA if there was icing in the descent. I flew the ERJ for eagle and with the added power required for the anti icing system made it dang near impossible to make the restrictions.

You're welcome, and yeah, there are a bunch of ASRS reports regarding the DCA west arrivals from ERJ drivers.  I can't say I'd blame them.

Kyle Rodgers

Interestingly, I got this the other night on the GIBBZ1 into IAD from MGW. Got VERT PATH FULL, and on the legs page the calculations for speed/altitude were missing from all the waypoints without restrictions. I found that removing the first restriction (BRNDN at FL290) or not selecting the transition, then manually entering the missing waypoints fixed the issue. 

Steve Caffey

So this is an issue when flying the NGX into DCA or IAD from the northwest, as I am doing tonight.  I'm flying DTW-DCA and having this issue come up for the first time.

So this is an issue when flying the NGX into DCA or IAD from the northwest, as I am doing tonight.  I'm flying DTW-DCA and having this issue come up for the first time.

I think there are other threads with more helpful information.  The error message simply means that the path prediction program that PMDG uses in the FMS cannot predict the vertical path.  There might be a disconnect or there simply might not be a way to predict the path given the information.  Check your path stepping through the LEGS pages looking for anything that looks wrong with altitudes... maybe enter some using the arrival and approach charts.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've had the same in the NGX and the 777, happens from time to time, seems to be happening on long STARS in the US, never had it in Europe. My last one resolved itself when just let it eat its way down through the wpts.

23.png

Morten, I've never seen it myself. I claim I know what causes it but in reality no one has ever presented a reproducible set of conditions to isolate the problem with the FMS programming.  One exception, a flight from Rome to Geneva and I pointed out the solution to the OP of that post... he was selecting an arrival that didn't fit the route.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan, it's kind of an enigma, I remember talking to Tabs along time ago, regarding this situation when I had it in the NGX the first time. I can't remember how it was resolved that time, but it was repeatable. If I remember correctly, the new version of the nav database from Navigraph solved it that time.

23.png