Sign in to follow this  
pilotjohn

Nose-High FDE Fixes

Pilotjohn...just wanted to say thanks again for posting the instructions. I was able to make a couple different versions to try (using 2 degrees and also 1.5 degrees). I watched a bunch more videos and kept going back and forth between your version (3 degrees) and my others and in the end I decided to go with the 2 degree as you suggested for me.

I liked your 3 degree change because it required more nose down for those fast flaps 20 approaches we see so much in youtube, but ended up with my 2 degree change instead (doesnt require quite as much nose down as yours on fast approaches, so doesnt match the videos as good) BUT, it allows for a flat attitude (0 degree) during max cruise speeds (30" 2400rpm) whereas the 3 degree version was giving me just a slight nose down in cruise.

...best part is there's still a ton of nose up needed for full stall landings which also reflects in the videos.

Never would have been able to get it this good without your help, John!

I would like to add my thanks to John - I also ended up with the 2 degree change - and the effect is subtle maybe, but

ultimately makes the difference between a slightly wounded airplane and a really nice airplane!

Bert

Pilotjohn...just wanted to say thanks again for posting the instructions. I was able to make a couple different versions to try (using 2 degrees and also 1.5 degrees). I watched a bunch more videos and kept going back and forth between your version (3 degrees) and my others and in the end I decided to go with the 2 degree as you suggested for me.

I liked your 3 degree change because it required more nose down for those fast flaps 20 approaches we see so much in youtube, but ended up with my 2 degree change instead (doesnt require quite as much nose down as yours on fast approaches, so doesnt match the videos as good) BUT, it allows for a flat attitude (0 degree) during max cruise speeds (30" 2400rpm) whereas the 3 degree version was giving me just a slight nose down in cruise.

...best part is there's still a ton of nose up needed for full stall landings which also reflects in the videos.

Never would have been able to get it this good without your help, John!

Glad it worked out... 3 degree was just my first guess. I haven't even fully tested it at all flight regimes, I was just trying to get the takeoff/climb and full-flap short-final to feel right. I may end up with the 2 degree change as well after I get around to cruise and 90-knots 1-notch flap ILS testing.

One big thing I haven't really heard mentioned is the massive size of a 206 cowling and glare shield. I fly the 172 (instruct in it) and 182 (own one IRL) on a daily basis and have been in the 206 several times and 208. The glareshield in the 206 is much higher compared to a pilots view point and it's a much different view than the other three even the caravan, and in fact I find the carenados T206H standard flight profile angles and view from the cockpit exactly match up to what it was for real life for me in a 206 even with the seat cranked up all the way (then again I'm short at only 5"6 so that may effect my perspective) but from my real world experience the sim matches perfectly, that's just a real world to sim comparison, if you want to adjust it to make it more enjoyable in the sim then that's a whole separate thing, and the beauty of a sim!

Hey no arguement there. In a C182Q and a C210B I have been in and around, yup the glareshield is big as life you have to sit up and crane a bit when taxiing. As an EZCA user, eye point or head position was never a point I was having issues with. It was the plane's behaviour at cruise and consequently landing.

Please understand I am not directing this response to anyone but just voicing my own personal observations. The behaviour (Specifically pitch along the longitudinal axis) of this model 206 in cruise at 140 knots straight and level seems off a bit. In this case, the "Attitude Indicator" displays what looks like about 4 degrees up. External view with flat horizon seems to confirm that. Now every single video I watch of a 206 in cruise is near flat pitch. Maybe 1 degree up? So I am glad John adjusted it. I might go down to 2 degrees instead of 3 like some are saying here. And all of this is provided it still flies close to the numbers and power settings expected from the tables.

I can only go by what I can observe so here are examples from 4 separate videos where the plane is clearly in cruise. 3 videos are G1000 and 1 is steam. For three of the videos, they panned thier view out the side where you can compare the wing AOA to the horizon to some degree.

I guess once we have the G1000 varient of this great plane, we can compare even more. Computers (G1000 PFD) do not lie. And of course, people can certainly judge for themselves. :)

6LNQu.jpg

Ph4Q6.jpg

QVIBH.jpg

OgDed.jpgGcTvb.jpg

xchrk.jpgGDtlj.jpg

Like some of the other guys, I got an "Aircraft failed to initialize" as soon as I tried to use the tweaked .air file, supplied in this thread.

Sticking with the original.

In Win7, right click on newly renamed .air file. Click on properties--->General--->at the bottom hit unblock and then apply.

Seems to be working for me! Thanks!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

John,

would love to give your modified patch a shot.  can you tell me where to find it...

Regards, and thanks

Tom

John,

would love to give your modified patch a shot.  can you tell me where to find it...

Regards, and thanks

Tom

I'm not John, but if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you a copy.

Bert

I'm not John, but if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you a copy.

Hello any chance you could email me a copy as well? I will PM you.

Hello any chance you could email me a copy as well? I will PM you.

done..

Bert

Hi Bert, Can you send me too a copy please, I would try this modified .air file. I don't know how to use excel... :blush: . I will PM you. Thanks

Me too!  Thank you so much Bert for making me really enjoy this aircraft with your .air file!

Top bloke you are and many thanks.

Cheers.

Tim...

Hi!

I got the plane and would like to try this mod. Where  can I get it?

Thanks

Hi!

I got the plane and would like to try this mod. Where  can I get it?

Thanks

Send me a PM with your email address..

Bert