Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Who uses the taxing On option ?

Just a little bit curious how many of you still use the taxing On option when taxing for takeoff. Do you get lost with out using the taxing on option on big airport ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I use it.

I'd be curious how anyone doesn't have to use it unless they are extremely familiar with an airport.

I still use it too, but I have seen a instruction video recently explaining all the signs, lines and markers on an airport, which helps a lot. Some stuff I really didn't know.
Also you just need the map of the airport and then it's doable. You can find them for free on the internet. I have vRoute premium and it has an option to download approach charts and airport maps. But you need to write down ATC ground instructions if it's a long taxi.
Still I use the markers if i don't feel like doing it all as in real life, or if i get confused. And also I can summon a GSX Follow me car to help me out.

The video was a very low quality and very old with an older married couple explaining everything, but it was very enlighting.

Edit: Found it:

I think you mean the progressive taxi.  I never use it and I don't even know how to turn it on.  What I do is get the Aerodome chart or taxi chart, then I do a quick check using the overhead to confirm my gate, expecially since defaul airports and some payware gates don't match the numbers in the real world.  Once I have my bearings, I use the chart to find my way to the runway.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Airport charts or if I'm feeling particularly lazy I use GSX's follow me car, although relatively few airports use them much in the real world. I never use the progressive taxi, giant pink arrows are so lame. Some airports are a nightmare to navigate around though, Paris CDG springs to mind.

I still use it too, but I have seen a instruction video recently explaining all the signs, lines and markers on an airport, which helps a lot. Some stuff I really didn't know.

Also you just need the map of the airport and then it's doable. You can find them for free on the internet. I have vRoute premium and it has an option to download approach charts and airport maps. But you need to write down ATC ground instructions if it's a long taxi.

Still I use the markers if i don't feel like doing it all as in real life, or if i get confused. And also I can summon a GSX Follow me car to help me out.

The video was a very low quality and very old with an older married couple explaining everything, but it was very enlighting.

Edit: Found it:

Thanks for the video  wawo i guest am not the only one that use it . I only use it off once an that was when i bought FSDT JFK V2 when i try to turn on the progressive taxi On option for some reason it never showed. So lucky i had a chance to write down the ATC taxi to takeoff runway  instruction. I got lost like 5 times because it was my first time taxing like this looking for A- C-A-N etc.......  But the second try i started to get the hang of it but only taxing slowly  to not miss a turn or anything .

I think you mean the progressive taxi.  I never use it and I don't even know how to turn it on.  What I do is get the Aerodome chart or taxi chart, then I do a quick check using the overhead to confirm my gate, expecially since defaul airports and some payware gates don't match the numbers in the real world.  Once I have my bearings, I use the chart to find my way to the runway.

I never tried that i guest i might have to specially for JFK V2 .  Since the progressive taxi option doesn't work with that airport i have to find a way to make it more simple for me to taxi to takeoff

Airport charts or if I'm feeling particularly lazy I use GSX's follow me car, although relatively few airports use them much in the real world. I never use the progressive taxi, giant pink arrows are so lame. Some airports are a nightmare to navigate around though, Paris CDG springs to mind.

Giant pink arrows aren't those arrows yellow? I have GSX but i never used that option to taxi to takeoff with the fallow me car. I guest am going to also try that when am in JFK  V2 . By the way how many times in the real world do you think real pilots use a fallow me car to taxi for takeoff ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

I use an airport diagram (if in the US from AOPA). The biggest issue for me is knowing where your aircraft actually is- an airport diagram is useless if you don;t know where you are :)

In RL you would actually walk to a location where the aircraft is, but when "instantly jumping" into an aircraft that is placed by FSX on the airport, that makes it harder.......

Bruce.

I have aivlasoft's flight bag on a second monitor which gets me to my runway with no problem

I use FSCommander on a separate monitor but you can always go to the outside overhead view (S,A).

DevGrp - does that mean what I think it means?

Go Navy!

I use FSCommander on a separate monitor but you can always go to the outside overhead view (S,A).

DevGrp - does that mean what I think it means?

Go Navy!

Yes lol

It helps that I have a second computer so I have the chart open on that screen and then its easy to see where you are going.

So is it hard to fallow the instruction the ATC gives you for taxi? Because to me it is some times because you have to taxi major slow so you won't miss your turn.

I have aivlasoft's flight bag on a second monitor which gets me to my runway with no problem

Kool i have second monitor but i just haven't set it up yet. Now thinking about it your idea won't be bad at all it is a major help when taxing on busy airports

Mr Leny

Haven't used it for years..since fs9

I try not to use it (except if I get lost, because in that case FSX ATC is not helpful at all), for a very simple reason: If I fly airliners, I usually operate them out of Vienna, so I know the airport layout quite well - this doesn't mean I know where every single gate or taxiway is located exactly, but I know enough to know how Vienna Ground wants me to taxi - or out of Innsbruck (it's hard to make a mistake here, as it only has two taxiways :smile:), and for my destination airport I try to have charts at hand, and try to familiarize with the airports layout before arrrving there, so I usually know where I am going to exit the RWY and where my gate is located.

But most of my flying GA out of little airports in the PNW, so there's no need for progressive taxi either, as there usually isn't even a ground controller at those airports.

I don't use this cheat - I use a different one (  :P  ):

RadarContact continously displays the distance and the heading to the takeoff end of my departure runway.

After landing my 'cheats' are AES or GSX.