Sign in to follow this  
Shaney

FSX Hanging Mid Flight

Hi All,

I have recently started to encounter a hanging/freezing issue mid flight after about 1 and a half hours but it can happen after 2 or even 2 and a half hours of flying. When it happens the sound continues fine but there is no movement in FSX, the only way I can escape it to use task manager. I don't get any CTD and it doesn't come up 'FSX has stopped responding and needs to restart'. I have been able to run FSX perfectly on my current system however have had to recently reinstall it. Below I have posted the event log and my system specs alongside any addons I am running.

Event Log

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          16/07/2013 13:25:54
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Shane-PC
Description:
The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61472.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: ee4
 Start Time: 01ce8208d8c4958b
 Termination Time: 220
 Application Path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
 Report Id:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-16T12:25:54.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3085</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Shane-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>ee4</Data>
    <Data>01ce8208d8c4958b</Data>
    <Data>220</Data>
    <Data>C:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

System Specs

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k - 3.3ghz

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 LE

RAM - 8GB of DDR3

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Add Ons

iFly 737NGX for FSX

Fspassengers

FSinn

FScopilot

FSX SP1 + 2

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Like I said I have been able to use FSX perfectly with more Add Ons before but I had to reinstall. Since the reinstall every flight I have had this hanging problem. I have deleted the fsx.cfg and allowed it to rebuild itself which hasn't helped. Numerous googling has assisted me either. I have tried my graphics driver at both the latest and now I have rolled it back both of which have been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance,

Shane

Heya Shane, 

There is a reference to this in the new AVSIM how-to manual for FSX. Go to the top of the AVSIM page and hover  on the Content tab and you will see it there. 

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Hi JKH,

I think im being a bit thick here. But is is the Avsim Hardware and Software Guide for FSX isnt it? If so which bit am i referring to in it? 

Thanks again,

Shane

Most of these crashes are caused by running out or getting very low of Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Make sure you have your Page File enabled for each HDD that FSX products are located.  I recommend System Managed Size but some are adventurous and come up with their own size.  I use to get these crashes whenever I loaded my commercial weather program and ran real weather during the flight.  If I did not load the commercial weather program, I would not get these freezes or, if I selected real weather through the default settings, I would not get a freeze.  It always happened at about the same spot.  Maybe there's an issue with the weather server the commercial weather program is using and it cannot update the weather.  I don't know.  But this is my experiences.  A commercial weather program also takes up a lot of resources too especially if you select 2048 or 4096 (HD) textures and clouds.  When the program is trying to render those objects, it runs out of resources.

Try this fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246. This fix will increase the size of the Windows heap and give your applications a bit more breathing room but it will not prevent all crashes or OOM's.  But, the default setting in Windows is not enough for many gaming programs.

Make sure you have the all of the Microsoft.net programs installed.  For FSX you need to have versions 1.1 through the latest installed.  You can check the versions located on your system by going to C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\then the various versions.  These versions are not backward compatible and are used by FSX developers to make sure their product runs properly on your computer, including managing memory for the addon or FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for your advice there. Ill give that a go! Just really frustrating when i know it can work! Ill post back with my results and let you know how i get on! Might be a few days as got a lot of work coming up!

Thanks,

Shane

Hi JKH,

I think im being a bit thick here. But is is the Avsim Hardware and Software Guide for FSX isnt it? If so which bit am i referring to in it? 

Thanks again,

Shane

No worries. 

You will want to read page 17, specifically the part about the UIAutomationCore.dll fix. It fixes the screen freeze on Windows 7. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. Just thought id give an update! I reinstalled fsx and have installed the wilco airbus vol1 touch wood, after 3 flights i have not had the hanging issue. Still not sure what was causing the problem. I havent installed SP2 yet as i kept getting a 'fatal error' on startup of fsx after installing that service pack. Will let you know if anything changes!

Thanks for your help,

Shane

It fixes the screen freeze on Windows 7.

It does not.  The only issue the uiautomationcore.dll does is maybe fix fsx menu crashes (repeated hits on the fsx menu) and I doubt it really fixes that as I have tried to replicate it and cannot.  I do not have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx directory and I do not get crashes.  I seriously think the so-called uiautomationcore.dll "fix" is a placebo and really an issue with system memory settings in Windows 7 or in the BIOS and/or too high fsx settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It does not.  The only issue the uiautomationcore.dll does is maybe fix fsx menu crashes (repeated hits on the fsx menu) and I doubt it really fixes that as I have tried to replicate it and cannot.  I do not have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx directory and I do not get crashes.  I seriously think the so-called uiautomationcore.dll "fix" is a placebo and really an issue with system memory settings in Windows 7 or in the BIOS and/or too high fsx settings.

Best regards,

Jim

You are, unfortunately, correct.

My system, pretty much well-behaved in the past, now freezes about 2 out of 3 flights, always while executing the d3d11.dll module.

I don't run 3D, but when I pulled up Nvidia Inspector the settings were NOT the ones that I had selected. I reset them, but still got a freeze. Mysterious and aggravating. 

John Howell

I agree.  Aggravating!  Wish there really was a "magic bullet" to fix all the crashes.  There are a lot of posts here in the CTD forum where individuals have had the uiautomationcore.dll in their main FSX directory but they still received a crash or FSX froze up on them.  There are reports on the Internet that having the uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx directory may be more detrimental to running FSX than leaving it out.  The uiautomationcore.dll belongs to the Microsoft.net package.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

uiautomationcore.dll is not placebo. I can reproduce menu freezes/crashes every time if i remove it from FSX main folder. This crashes don't happens on some systems and they don't need uiautomationcore.dll. 

But they really happen on most of systems with windows 7 and uiautomationcore.dll fixes that

It's a placebo.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Sorry Jim, but I also disagree. I used to have the menu crashes on almost every flight. Since installing the uiautomationcore.dll I have not had a single one over the past three years! Hardly a placebo me 'ol mate!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sorry Jim, but I also disagree. I used to have the menu crashes on almost every flight. Since installing the uiautomationcore.dll I have not had a single one over the past three years! Hardly a placebo me 'ol mate!

Look at this logically Howard.  For one, look at at the crash reports here in this forum.  Most have submitted AppCrashViews which shows everything that has loaded and most have had the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx folder loaded and they cannot figure out why their sim freezes up or crashes.  Now look at it when you get a freeze or a CTD (if you can remember.... 3 years is a long time)  I beat you out with no freezes (that I didn't know what exactly caused it) and I have never had the uiautomationcore.dll in my main FSX folder (okay, some idiot addon installed it once without my knowledge and I found it in the folder and removed it immediately).  But I did not place it there knowingly.  Okay, take for instance, you did not have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX directory and you get a freeze and it happened when you clicked several times on the FSX menu bar.  Well, you cannot just go and place that uiautomationcore.dll in your fsx folder and wa la, the freeze stops and you can click on your menu bar again and you can continue your flight session.  No, it doesn't work that way.  You have to shut down fsx and sometimes your whole system and restart fsx again after you have placed the uiautomationcore.dll in your fsx folder.  Wa la!  No freeze.  No CTD's.  You think this sugar-coated uiautomationcore.dll works. You're not seeing anymore crashes.  But the key is that you had to restart FSX and that usually fixes 99% of all freezes. 

Now I have heard from others, like Word Not Allowed who once had a guide here and recommend the uiautomationcore.dll be placed in the main fsx folder.  He explained that repeated hits on the fsx menu caused this kind of freeze up.  So I went out to try to duplicate this issue.  No joy.  No matter how many times I hit the fsx menu bar going from different menus and hitting the bottom of the menu, no crash.  No freeze.  So I could not replicate it and I have read from many that they could not replicate it either.  So I have tried and why your installation of fsx does this to you and not me I don't know but I strongly suspect high settings and/or improper memory settings.

Now I have had freezes without the uiautomationcore.dll in the fsx folders but I knew exactly what caused it.  High settings.  FSX didn't like my 9.5 LOD or even my 6.5 LOD and it didn't like my weather program's textures set at 4096 (this was with my old i7 2600K system).  So I lowered them to 2048.  No more freezes.  I had  freezes using AS2012 in mid-flight in the past.  It happened almost exactly at the same spot everytime I flew the same flightplan.  I went into the task manager and shutdown AS2012.  The freezes stopped and I was able to continue the flights.  I then decided not to load AS2012 but instead run the default weather (which is really AS2012 as it takes over the default weather too).  No freezes.  I enabled AS2012 again and ran the same flightplan.  Got a freeze at about the same spot.  So it is tiny things like this that cause your fsx to freeze up.  I think AS2012 is trying to get to their weather server and for some reason the data is not available or it can't get there so it freezes up my flight.  In any case, with my new Hawell system, I can engage AS2012 and set my settings up real high and I no longer get the freezes like I use to with this flightplan (from KORD to KSTL).

So, the bottom line is:  No placebo like uiautomationcore.dll is going to save you from fsx freezes or ctd's as I have the evidence here in this forum that I am right (thanks to the several hundreds here who have reported their freezes/crashes using AppCrashView!).

Respectfully,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Best regards,

Jim

+1

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png