Sign in to follow this  
alexcolka

Alabeo Piper Tomahawk released.

Looks great. Still fly the JustFlight Tomahawk from time to time but it's starting to look seriously outdated.

It seems Alabeo are taking over what Carenado used to do - simple, good looking and reasonably priced GA's. The mother company seems to be moving more into the high-performance segment with turboprop, glass panels etc. and prices of $39+.

I see that the price has crept up slightly over the Staggerwing, though (from $20 to $23).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yes, it's a great little plane, been flying it around FTX SCO all morning.  FDE is good, but doesn't quite have that magical feel (a la Rob Young or Alexander Metzger).

The only bug I have found so far is a very annoying bug with the sound, where it has a dip in RPMs just before the end of the sound file; so this loops constantly.

I have put the FDE from the Just Flight Tomahawk into this, so I now have Alabeo visuals, with far better sounds (I'm using Ants Aircraft Tecnam Sierra sounds at the mo), and Rob Young FDE = Heaven. 

:smile:

Unless the screen shots of the Australian registered PA38 have been rectified before release, the Aussie buyers of this plane wont be amused. VH-XGZ on the fuselage becomes VX-XGZ on the wing! Oops! Careless. I'm not too sure it should be on the upper surface of the wing either. :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Yes, I saw that too :lol: ...... things like that, and the sound bug (which is hugely obvious, and makes you wonder how on Earth they missed it!) should be spotted and ironed out before release.

But it's still one of my favourite ever GA planes for FS.

Most people will probably be happy with the FDE, and Bernt Stolle has sent me a PM questioning why I replaced it in my PA38.  All I can say is that it comes down to personal preferences, and I have always loved the JF Tomahawk's FDE (which I believe was created by Rob Young), and so putting that FDE into the Alabeo PA38 was a natural but personal choice for me.

My personal view is that Bernt's Carenado and Alabeo FDEs are more tuned to the numbers whereas Rob's work seems more tuned to the feel.   ....and my subjective preference is the latter.    But as always YMMV. :wink:

Also what is up with the two kangaroos in what looks like a RAAF roundel? Incidently its also facing the incorrect way on the port side of the aircraft, the roundel should always face the front of the aircraft.

Just been over to the OZx forum....They are ###### off about it and the fact that the kangaroo is facing the wrong way!

They'll fix it just like they fixed the prop on the Staggerwing, but they're pretty n00b mistakes eh?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

They are ###### about it and the fact that the kangaroo is facing the wrong way!

Haha-I bet they are!

It's just a bit poor, especially the VX not VH issue. It would have made a much better impression on potential customers if they'd checked or asked someone before posting the images.

Very typical of Carenado/Alabeo - the attention to detail is amazing when it comes to modelling and texturing, but they always make silly mistakes like that every time.

I would report the issue directly to them so they can include it in the mandatory service pack.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

lol... what I tell you about Alabeo rush-releasing everything. :)

Plus, I may invest the money in their R66, which I think might be a little more exciting. I mean, I know rotorcrafts aren't best simulated in fsx, but still, it will be the first properly HD (both model and texture) GA chopper for fsx and p3d. P3D v2 might bring improved rotor simulation so who knows. :)

Any idea who's doing the FDE for it?

No clue. We'll wait and see. Looks like next progress pictures from alabeo are going to be pictures of a textured model. *can't wait*. :)

Hope it's not the default 206 - though if it is, maybe somebody can write a Helicopter Total Realism profile to overrride it.

To all: Sorry for the thread drift, now back to the traumahawk...

Talking about traumahawk.. someone uploaded this video yesterday.. not sure if tomahawk but still funny and related somehow.. :P

Nice looking plane but just not my cup of tea I like going fast which is why my FSX hanger is full of airliners and twins

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.