Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Will you be flying right away?

No.  Not except.  They went in to that maneuver with the intention to stall the aircraft,  Boeing pilots would do the same thing.  One difference being that Airbus pilots have a completely different way of bringing the plane out of a stall than Boeing pilots.

it has all been covered above, please at least attempt to get a basic understanding of what you are talking about and stop teaching yourself via youtube.

Rob Prest

The confusion isnt about stalling. A stall is a stall, you cant have half a stall followed by recovery and call that a stall, that's obvious.

Its getting confusing because some posts are about FSX the sim and Real world stall training (non sim) which is irrelevant in FSX and the topic at hand being the T777 FSX aircraft.

There is no right or wrong method here, just personal preference so to say you can "never" do this or that is a bit silly really

ZORAN

No. Not except. They went in to that maneuver with the intention to stall the aircraft, Boeing pilots would do the same thing. One difference being that Airbus pilots have a completely different way of bringing the plane out of a stall than Boeing pilots.

Stall recovery is exactly the same for Boeing and Airbus. The same laws of aerodynamics apply. The difference is in how the flight control systems will try to prevent a stall.

Both Boeing and Airbus test pilots stall aircraft in test flights. Line pilots never normally do. Bruce Dickinson is something of an exception as he was filming for a TV show.

There is no need to try out stalls in the PMDG 777. Just enter the weights in the FMC and the PFD will show you the safe speeds. However if people want to do it let them. It's only a game.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I think the key to everything is to learn as much about the plane now before it comes out. I've gotten and read through many manuals and have studied as much as possible so I can be ready to get into the air the day it comes out. I usually always fly on VATSIM for every flight so I doubt I will be offline... The only reason I feel I will be safe to do this is because I also use X-Plane and own the Ramzees 777 which I've been using as practice for the PMDG. I'm gonna stick to flying between LA and Las Vegas for a few flights then pop on the LA to JFK run before heading across the pond to Heathrow. I've got an unusually ridiculous amount of time to spend towards learning and flying the plane since I had to take this semester off from college for personal reasons so I envision being glued to the plane for atleast a month before I even think of loading up something else lol.

Your FMC "messing up" is not an valid reason to stop flying a approach. I've heard that way to many time on VATSIM. Fly the plane, first and foremost everything else is secondary. If people also READ the manual they might actually know how to fly the aircraft. There are people after two years who still have no clue how to fly the NGX, but think they do. Please do us a favor get of VATSIM go read the manual then come back when you have a clue. 

The FMC "messing up" is a perfect reason to abandon an approach. Yes, continue to fly the plane, but go around, get the aircraft stable, and then figure out what happened. Professional pilots can fall into the "what's it doing now?" trap, and so can we.

I'd much prefer that a virtual pilot recognize that there's a problem, go around, and then work the problem and shoot a new approach.

Jon Skiffington

The FMC "messing up" is a perfect reason to abandon an approach. Yes, continue to fly the plane, but go around, get the aircraft stable, and then figure out what happened. Professional pilots can fall into the "what's it doing now?" trap, and so can we.

I'd much prefer that a virtual pilot recognize that there's a problem, go around, and then work the problem and shoot a new approach.

Or maybe just go HDG select V/S or FLCH? Or maybe even shock horror disconnect and fly the damn machine?

Rob Prest

No. Not except. They went in to that maneuver with the intention to stall the aircraft, Boeing pilots would do the same thing. One difference being that Airbus pilots have a completely different way of bringing the plane out of a stall than Boeing pilots.

That A320 never stalled since alpha floor kicked in but if it was in alternate law and stalled then the recovery procedure would be the same as in a boeing or any other plane.

Or maybe just go HDG select V/S or FLCH? Or maybe even shock horror disconnect and fly the damn machine?

Perhaps you're misunderstanding me. We both agree that pilots need to continue to fly the airplane. HDG SEL or V/S (probably not FLCH) are perfectly adequate down in the terminal area. And absolutely, disconnect the automatics and fly the dang plane.

What I'm saying is that I'd rather go around instead of trying to force in an unstable approach. No more, no less.

Jon Skiffington

The FMC "messing up" is a perfect reason to abandon an approach. Yes, continue to fly the plane, but go around, get the aircraft stable, and then figure out what happened. Professional pilots can fall into the "what's it doing now?" trap, and so can we.

You don't need the FMC to continue an approach if your in VMC look outside and fly it visually. If your in IMC fly the needles. There is really no reason to Go-Around if your FMC "messes up", if you do you are way to dependent on it. 

I find it amusing that people become paralyzed when the FMC, LNAV,VNAV, and  autopilot do something other than they are expecting and instead of focusing on flying ( yes you can disconnect the AP and actually fly it believe it or not) they want to figure out how to get the aircraft to fly itself rather than actually fly it themselves.

Richie Walsh

Much like my 9 year old son when we are dirt biking: sometimes he acts like its a wild horse he cant control...who's riding whom?

spacer.png

Careful - you're starting to sound like me.

Kyle Rodgers

Provided you can get smooth play from FSX, hand flying the heavies can be a treat.

Provided you can get smooth play from FSX, hand flying the heavies can be a treat.

spacer.png

an actual stall, and low speed / stall protection

You can safely stall a big jumbo jet just like you can safely stall a C152.  Sure Airbus has protections, but you NEED to safely recover a stall for an aircraft to be certified.  So whoever said you never stall a big aircraft is wrong.  

If you owned a 777 wouldn't you take it for a nice spin and do some stalls etc?  

Stall recovery is exactly the same for Boeing and Airbus. The same laws of aerodynamics apply. The difference is in how the flight control systems will try to prevent a stall.

I was talking about the difference of Airbus having that alpha floor safety thingy.  Other than that of course the laws of flight are the same.  They both have wings.  I just found it weird that someone said they never stall large aircraft.  

so to say you can "never" do this or that is a bit silly really

DING DING!  Have a cookie my friend.  Finally someone who sees it like me.  The right way  :lol:  kidding.  

stop teaching yourself via youtube.

I didn't pay thousands of dollars to get taught by youtube how to fly jackass.