Sign in to follow this  
Nialloc

Maddog or Airsimmer

Hi

I see both are about the same price at the moment. I would really like a modern Airbus for FS9 but have a few reservations about the Airsimmer from what I have read. Is the latest vesion a robust reliable product, or would I be better spending my money on the Maddog, which is another aircraft I love.

I would be very interested in hearing from people who have experience of either. A the end of the day I want an in depth reliable simulation.

What say you all?

Thanks

Niall

Two completely differant types of aircraft and flying style. I actually do a bit of tech support with the Airsimmer bus in my spare time. Putting my flight simmer hat on I would say go for the mad dog. That aircraft is a work of art as far as system depth goes.

The Airsimmer bus is actually very Indepth, a lot of cool stuff going on behind the scenes the most wouldnt notice, however a lot of other nice features we're removed for the downloadable version, so you will see pages from the FMGS removed etc.

So yeah, maddog is the way to go for full depth, once your ready to try a bus in fs9 give the airsimmer a try.

Rob Prest

Hi,

I'm not using FS9 now, but when I did, the last version of the Airsimmer (I think v1.4 ?) was absolutely faultless and superb on my system.  I flew literally many hundreds of hours is it.      

I felt it was the best airliner ever released for FS9;   The VC and sounds particularly could put a lot of FSX aircraft to shame.

Sorry, don't own the Maddog.........   but I did used to use the Coolsky MD-80 Super 80 for FS9 and again, a fantastic airliner, although not as visually advanced as the Airsimmer.

HTH.

Hi,

I'm not using FS9 now, but when I did, the last version of the Airsimmer (I think v1.4 ?) was absolutely faultless and superb on my system.  I flew literally many hundreds of hours is it.      

I felt it was the best airliner ever released for FS9;   The VC and sounds particularly could put a lot of FSX aircraft to shame.

Sorry, don't own the Maddog.........   but I did used to use the Coolsky MD-80 Super 80 for FS9 and again, a fantastic airliner, although not as visually advanced as the Airsimmer.

HTH.

Visiting the maddog page again, it got me thinking that I wish they would do an MD11 or MD10. the PMDG MD11 is 95% perfect just wish they would have added the extra features that you get in the Maddog

Rob Prest

I own both and would have a difficult time recommending one OR the other, it would rather be one AND the other since I really like both aircraft and their FS9 renditions.

The Airsimmer A320 is miles ahead in terms of graphism quality compared to the Maddog, but what the Maddog does not show it has in systems complexity... I read recently on the Maddog forum that the developers are looking for a good 3D artist to redo the VC that leaves a lot to be desired and they are conscious of that. But don't hold your breath and delay your purchase, you'd have to wait for a long time, assuming this is done someday...

On the other end, the Airsimmer is definitely a much better looking airplane in terms of visuals, the VC is perfect (PMDG level) but of course it is an incomplete (understand not as detailed) aircraft for the systems (this is where the comparison with PMDG stops abruptly). Having said that, it does NOT mean that it does not perform as advertised, I had countless hours of enjoyment with that simulation and still fly it with an immense pleasure - as I do with the Maddog!

So don't hesitate, be blunt, these are two very different animals - both in real life and simulation - buy both!

From my experience they're both good in their current iterations (with the Airsimmer though you'll notice some features a bit stripped down, like no hydraulics and some MCDU pages inaccessible).

Personally I've never had any fun breaking issues with either (I've only owned the Airsimmer v1.3+ though).

Buuut I'm biased towards MD80s (my first airplane ride was on an MD83) soooo....lol

It boils down to which you want to fly more at the end of the day....

The hydraulic system on the A320 is coded right out of the FCOM, in fact it has some pretty unique features like loss of nose wheel steering alternate and back up brakes, cargo doors connected to the correct system, Spoiler & flight control logic hooked up to the correct system etc etc.

Anyway, sorry to bang on about PMDG again guys... However, to the OP, have you not considered getting the PMDG MD11 for FS9? It is the perfect mix between Airbus and Boeing, plenty of real world short haul and long haul routes worldwide, up to date VC and the system depth is typical PMDG quality.

If I had to vote for the best FS9 airliner it would be the PMDG MD11, unfortunately it really seems underrated in the FS world, mainly because most airlines have phased it out, it is still a major player in the cargo world flying to some amazing destinations

Rob Prest

Rob,

Is the Airsimmer A320 still alive or is it pretty much finished as far as development goes?

NAX669.png

Rob, Is the Airsimmer A320 still alive or is it pretty much finished as far as development goes?

From my last conferance call on Weds it is still very much alive, as far as me staying on to do tech support, I am becoming increasingly busy with real world commitments, in fact I haven't used my simulator in months.

Rob Prest

The hydraulic system on the A320 is coded right out of the FCOM, in fact it has some pretty unique features like loss of nose wheel steering alternate and back up brakes, cargo doors connected to the correct system, Spoiler & flight control logic hooked up to the correct system etc etc.

Anyway, sorry to bang on about PMDG again guys... However, to the OP, have you not considered getting the PMDG MD11 for FS9? It is the perfect mix between Airbus and Boeing, plenty of real world short haul and long haul routes worldwide, up to date VC and the system depth is typical PMDG quality.

If I had to vote for the best FS9 airliner it would be the PMDG MD11, unfortunately it really seems underrated in the FS world, mainly because most airlines have phased it out, it is still a major player in the cargo world flying to some amazing destinations

sorry i actually should have said the buttons themselves are disabled on the overhead (or rather automatically operated)

Can't go wrong with the Leonardo Maddog; one of the most complex and complete airliners ever made for FS.  I've had it since the weekend it was released, and still enjoy flying it, even if the VC is dated graphically.  Can't speak for the AS Airbus, but I'll be there cash in hand when they release the advanced version for FS9.

John G.

Of all the add-ons for FS9 I own, I believe the Maddog is just about the best. Almost everything is modeled, the systems run deep, and it requires some learning time to operate correctly. Have also read (having never flown the real thing) that the flight characteristics are very true to life. Some of the best money I ever spent on flight sim. Can't comment on the Airsimmer bus as I don't have that one.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Now there's a good recommendation!

MD-11 for FS9 is a beauty!

Back on the Maddog, I think there was a AVSIM review for it, that may be worth checking out? .... (don't think there was one for the Airsimmer or PMDG MD-11?).

EDIT:     Take your pick!   (interesting to see the 3 reviews, over the 3 different Maddog versions) :smlie:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1110/Leonardo/Maddog.html

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0409/Leonardo/Maddog.htm

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0407/Maddog/Maddog.htm