Sign in to follow this  
FlyVFR

Can PMDG work with HiFi to bring us a working weather radar?

I appreciate I'm exaggerating the present situation but Aerosoft have already bundled FS2Crew's RAAS with the Airbus, next apparently MCE and here we have calls for PMDG to bundle Active Sky. Where's it going to end?

I don't there's anything to worry about, for two reasons. First, because the interface for a radar is already present in PMGD products, just use the sdk to enable it. It's like fs2crew, it won't have to be bundled. Second, ASN developers will surely know their customers are most likely to want to use this with Pmdg products.

There will be available a trial version of ActiveSky Next, so folks will be able to see for themselves how it works before making a permanent commitment of funds towards its full cost. I expect some will like it a lot.

I seen that, its just... I don't see myself jumping the gun and switching even with a demo; this will have to be groundbreaking to see me invest in a new Weather Engine.

Things they are talking about seem like stuff that either Opus and FSGRW already cover or will cover in the near future and either way I feel this announcement will be a push in order to make the other two developers do something better. 

Don't get me wrong, I think this is amazing; I feel this new found competition will keep the developers on their toes and we will all be the beneficiaries.  :lol:

First, because the interface for a radar is already present in PMGD products, just use the sdk to enable it.

Ehm, is it?

Ehm, is it?

Yes, the radar control panel is there, buttons and all, it just doesn't do anything. If the sdk allows, I don't see why a third party couldn't make use of it.

Nope, those are not there. 

And even if they were, they would just be dummy buttons to push. Not a gateway to integrating any custom WXR into the airplane...

Yes, yes yes!!!

Finally these "unserviceable devices" placed in the rear pedestals of the 737 NGX and the 777X might become alive! (after being dusted off thoroughly...)

Many thanks to HiFi Technologies!

It is a self fulfilling prophecy, that in the end a weather engine feeds the wx radar with the appropriate data...

Greetings,

Claus

When ASN will be released?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk 2

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Well as for the radar, PMDG themselves have said it is possible but would require reworking the way fsx reads weather, would take out too much time/effort from planes, etc but if HiFi cook something up, it should be amazing

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Nope, those are not there. 

And even if they were, they would just be dummy buttons to push. Not a gateway to integrating any custom WXR into the airplane...

The wxr controlls are found below the radio panel. they're just unclickable, but they're there.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

The wxr controlls are found below the radio panel. they're just unclickable, but they're there.

They are there in the airplane model, but I was talking about the SDK

Ugh...and here it is:

"It is more like a NexRad radar giving base (ground) reflectivity, supposedly sent to our gauge through satellite connection."

That's exactly what I was worried about, and this is what I think confuses a lot of the simmers out there.  Ground based radar is not the same as what is used in the plane.  It limits my tactical ability to see the weather that's actually in my path (and in the real world, NEXRAD data feeds are on average 8 min old).  Base reflectivity doesn't really give me much useful information at altitude, though you can of course infer "oh hey, there's a red cell down there, which means it's probably tall and will affect me," but again, I could also make inferences while looking at weather charts on my computer and phone with similar effect.

However...

This is also mentioned, which makes me somewhat hopeful:

"But the technology is now here. We can always provide an on board like radar (with tilt function covering specific altitude range etc), or provide means to aircraft/ND developers to take advantage of this."

Kyle Rodgers

In yuor opinion guys you think this radar could be embedded into ngx, md11 or 777 w/o reworking pedestal?

If I well remeber NGX has a black screen on pedestal and this radar could be inserted there, not?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

In yuor opinion guys you think this radar could be embedded into ngx, md11 or 777 w/o reworking pedestal?

It would go on the ND, as an underlay - not on the pedestal.

If I well remeber NGX has a black screen on pedestal and this radar could be inserted there, not?

Placing this on top of the lower DU would eliminate the information there (for the models equipped with the upper/lower config).  Again - the weather radar information is placed on the ND, underneath your nav information so it's easier to see where your path would cross the returns.

Kyle Rodgers

Not MD11, Probably NGX and 777 (& 747v2)

On the Nav display, in a similar way to the Majestic Q400.

You'd then run Terrain on ND on one side (First officer ND for instance) and Weather on the other side ND. Swapping between WX and TERR would be just a button press and waiting for the WX to populate with the next 'radar sweep'.

Now if only they could stop it raining 5000ft above the clouds with nothing but blue skies above....

And put it in the JS4100, (yes I know, dreamin')

And put it in the JS4100, (yes I know, dreamin')

Since you can already put the RealityXP one in there... I suppose it is not that unplausible.