Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dillon

Horrible experience with Steam/Aerofly FS

First off let me start in saying I am truly not a fan of this cloud concept to gaming.  It's like when the developer decides to pull the plug or release a buggy update your screwed as you can't revert back to what you had because you don't have the original media on hand.  Microsoft's Flight was a big example of this where as people actually got screwed on the deal if ever they have to reinstall.  There's no way to get what you purchased back.  One can't get Alaska and all the planes purchased ever again.  I've come to the conclusion anything left in the hands of others buyer be ware.

Here we have the new Aerofly FS sim finally released by Just Flight.  Instead of providing the download themselves like SimMarket usually does they have the bright idea to sell it through Steam (or however that arrangement came about).  I've heard users on this forum rave about Steam so I saw no problem with it.  I bought the sim (v. 1.0.9.9) and it ran great.  The Flight models are amazing I actually never had so much fun with a 172 in a sim before.  Crosswind landings can realistically be practiced thanks to realistic application of rudder effects on the aircraft (couldn't quite get the weather settings to give me an effective crosswind).  So I'm happily discovering this sim when last Thursday upon launch Steam applies an update on it's own (v. 1.0.2.1).  When the sim loaded up I thought I was playing FSX on my system.  Framerates dropped down to 1-2 frames a second.  I could see the mouse slowly/painfully move across the screen when I moved it.  Totally horrible performance.  This wouldn't be a problem if I had the original downloaded version that I could revert back to.  Now that's all I can get from Steam and Aerofly isn't saying much but reinstall the video card drivers (which I did and reinstalled the program).

Bottom line is if you have to depend on a third party to house your software that's trouble.  They control the updates or whether you continue to get your content should they decide to close up shop.  In this case I can't just download what I have and have a copy it's all controlled by Steam and even on application load up Steam is involved logging me into their domain.  Totally horrible way to do function with software.  When the next version of Aerofly FS comes out I'll buy the boxed version to have on hand, the sim is that good (when it comes to simulating aerodynamics).  They can keep Steam and the XBOX Store...   

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The entire idea behind Steam is to allow you to have access to all of your purchased games in one place, easily download/update them, and sync your progress. This concept doesn't take into consideration a developer failing to thoroughly test an update before publishing it. I understand your issue here, but at the same time, it's not Steam's fault.

A bit late now, but I believe there is a way to disable the "automatic update" from Steam. I agree though that I just don't like the Steam concept.

My "relax time" sim us European Truck Simulator 2, available from the company as a download, or via the Steam portal.

Folks using the Steam releases are constantly having to wait several days for Steam to get the update files and DLC content available, while those of us who d/l directly from SCS have been enjoying the new content for awhile already. ;)

This wouldn't be a problem if I had the original downloaded version that I could revert back to.

You can back up the original game files in Steam, and then restore them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

Auto updating of games can be disabled by going to your game Library, right-clicking on the game and selecting Properties. From there go to the Updates tab and change the setting accordingly.

You can back up the original game files in Steam, and then restore them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

Auto updating of games can be disabled by going to your game Library, right-clicking on the game and selecting Properties. From there go to the Updates tab and change the setting accordingly.

What's funny is I asked why Steam didn't have the latest update featured on their site.  The features of v. 1.2.0.1 look great but man did it break the sim.  I don't buy all of a sudden my computer is too slow to run the sim, they broke something...  I can't even register on their forums to have a conversation with other customers because for some reason I get denied as a spammer.  Great sim I'm looking forward to update 1.2.0.2...

I have Aerofly Fs through steam and have had the update for several days with nothing like the issues you are reporting. That doesn't necessarily prove anything, but I also just took a look at the Aerofly Forums and cant find any posts complaining about a similar issue. The only thing I can think is that you try to join the forum again and report it.

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/forum.php

What's funny is I asked why Steam didn't have the latest update featured on their site.  The features of v. 1.2.0.1 look great but man did it break the sim.  I don't buy all of a sudden my computer is too slow to run the sim, they broke something...  I can't even register on their forums to have a conversation with other customers because for some reason I get denied as a spammer.  Great sim I'm looking forward to update 1.2.0.2...

Sounds like you got an IP address they blacklisted for some reason. Maybe someone with your ISP was being naughty and annoyed them lol.

Just recently there has been another simulator on Steam that has had an almost identical problem to the one you are posting about - it's called Train Simulator 2014. It WAS called Train Simulator 2013 until suddenly the publishers decided to "update" the platform and re-brand it entirely. Problem is, it removed and destroyed all DLC that was released for version 2013 so if you go to the product's forums it is full of disgusted users who have virtually had all their DLC purchases removed from the simulator and chucked in the ********** bin with no guarantee of any compatibility updates. That is absolutely disgusting and they should be taken to court.

It's a pity because apart from a few such examples I've really enjoyed the benefits of using Steam. I guess this is one drawback and it isn't one that is in Valve's control at this point. Hopefully your issue gets resolved.

Yikes! I have train simulator 2013 through Steam and updated it through there to 2014. Again with no problems. I can't imagine what's going on.

Yikes! I have train simulator 2013 through Steam and updated it through there to 2014. Again with no problems. I can't imagine what's going on.

Out of interest are you able to load the tutorials? I have it and was looking forward to trying it but given that after several re-installs (including a re-download) I continue to receive "scenario failed to load errors" I have given up in disgust. Maybe there is a cache that needs removing somewhere. Google didn't seem to have answers for this either so I'm guessing it's something on my end.

Out of interest are you able to load the tutorials? I have it and was looking forward to trying it but given that after several re-installs (including a re-download) I continue to receive "scenario failed to load errors" I have given up in disgust. Maybe there is a cache that needs removing somewhere. Google didn't seem to have answers for this either so I'm guessing it's something on my end.

Just tried tutorials with no issue. Some searching on the web did turn up this, however. Looks like a patch was pushed through on Steam

http://www.trainsimulatornews.com/2013/10/train-simulator-ts20141-patch-notes.html

Your copy of Train Simulator TS2014 will update automatically through Steam when you next start the Steam client. If you require additional help with using Steam please contact Steam directly via this link. If you require support for Train Simulator TS2014 please contact our support team by emailing support@railsimulator.com 

I will never buy from or use cloud computing. Puts my computer at risk and gives me less control of the product. If it can't be bought on DVD I'm out. Big companies get hacked all the time. The latest is Adobe who got hacked just after forcing customers over to their new cloud way of doing business.

First off let me start in saying I am truly not a fan of this cloud concept to gaming.  It's like when the developer decides to pull the plug or release a buggy update your screwed as you can't revert back to what you had because you don't have the original media on hand. 

Steam allows you to make a backup, when you are happy with a version make a backup and disable updates

I will never buy from or use cloud computing. Puts my computer at risk and gives me less control of the product. If it can't be bought on DVD I'm out. Big companies get hacked all the time. The latest is Adobe who got hacked just after forcing customers over to their new cloud way of doing business.

Well in the next 5 years mate you wont be able to buy anything, cloud and virtualisation is my bread and butter work these days.

maybe they will fix the problems you have been experiencing. 1-2 fps can not be acceptable.

Well in the next 5 years mate you wont be able to buy anything, cloud and virtualisation is my bread and butter work these days.

I know... But with the current level of security I'm not taking part.

After being burned myself I unchecked automatic updates. When an update comes I back up my old version. No problem after that!

But I agree - if there is a boxed version, I'll go for that.

Kind of reassuring to have your DVD to hand...

I never had an issue with Steam - been a user for many years now. My Steam installation has travelled with me over various PC hardware upgrades and WIndows installations as well. On new machines I would restore my User folder, then just copy the Steam folder from external drive (or wherever) to the new machine. Simply run the Steam exe in the new location, and it will repair Steam. Running each game will update the DirectX installations etc and one can have games up and running without having to reinstall or download games again from scratch. That is awesome, especially seeing one don't have to hunt for patches anymore.

If something breaks after a patch update in Steam, I recommend running a "Validate Install" on your title. In most cases it may detect a botched update and fix it. Worst case the patch introduced something that is not entirely compatible with your hardware/drivers.

Good luck with your problem. I know many people don't want to trust Steam and they have their reasons, but there are many of us that do not have issues that are very happy with the service.

I know many people don't want to trust Steam and they have their reasons, but there are many of us that do not have issues that are very happy with the service.

It is not about Steam for me, but clouding in general. In just a few months my Adboe account has been hacked and my credit card tried emptied after info was stolen from a flight sim webstore. Before that I've had no incidents whatsoever, no viruses, trojans, or hacks, and I've been using the Internet since 1995. ###### happens, and speaking to a lot of folks I know working on the inside of things in banks and large corporations the number of attacks are increasing exponentially each year. 99,9% of the attacks avoids public attention. This is a house of cards waitng to crumble, unless some new tech is invented to fight this.

Steam has done more than just about anything else to keep PC gaming alive over the last few years.

Eagle Dynamics recently introduced DCS World onto Steam. It's a very useful way to put simulation poducts on the screens of literally millions of users. If flight simming is to survive then we need to keep bringing fresh blood into the hobby - Steam is a great way to do that.

Steam has done more than just about anything else to keep PC gaming alive over the last few years.

Eagle Dynamics recently introduced DCS World onto Steam. It's a very useful way to put simulation poducts on the screens of literally millions of users. If flight simming is to survive then we need to keep bringing fresh blood into the hobby - Steam is a great way to do that.

It is a paradox. Online safety is getting worse, yet physical distribution of software is soon defunct. Let's hope its just "growing pains" and that measures will be taken to fight this. The Internet is still a young medium. I'm sure the increasing costs of online security will force action from vendors, service providers and banks at some point.

It is a paradox. Online safety is getting worse, yet physical distribution of software is soon defunct. Let's hope its just "growing pains" and that measures will be taken to fight this. The Internet is still a young medium. I'm sure the increasing costs of online security will force action from vendors, service providers and banks at some point.

I dont think its online saftey getting worse rather the amount of bugs in the software we buy is getting worse, look at the java exploit its been around for years and i still dont know if its patched in the big fix they did. Some of the bigger companys are to big to care anymore, to make software idiot proof like they do also makes us vulnerable to bugs and flaws.. when we look at all the bloat thats added to software its no wonder there is issues.

People are getting smarter looking for bugs and exploits and the script kiddies are just going nuts laughing at everyone and how slow companys are at plugging holes.

This is a house of cards waitng to crumble, unless some new tech is invented to fight this.

Simple fix for me - I don't own a credit card.

I don't have a *huge* problem if my credit or debit card details are cloned to be honest - it has happened to me before with a debit card and the banks have a well trodden path on how to deal with it. Fraudulent transactions were not honoured, new card was despatched quickly. Very little hassle to me.

Back in 2010 I got a call from my bank to say someone in the US had tried to use my debit card details to buy $300 of clothes in San Diego. At the time I was in Weymouth in the UK. They caught it and blocked the card.

At the time I was active on a forum for scale modellers, and someone started a thread saying their card details had been stolen and it was a new card that had only been used to purchase some model kits from a well known UK mail order company. Lots of other guys piped up their card details had also recently been stolen and they had used this mail order company too. You guessed it I had recently used that same company.

It turns out the holding bank that handled this company's transactions - along with many other well known UK retailers - had been hacked and a huge number of card details had been stolen. It was kept very quiet because it was only a couple of months before Christmas and nobody wanted to cause a scare just before the Christmas spending spree, especially given the fragile state of the economy. Over the next three months my card was blocked a further five times after I attempted to use it online to buy FS related stuff from non-UK outlets. It was pretty clear the bank's security department was on a hair trigger.

Nowadays I don't use my main debit card for online purchases (I only keep a credit card for "get me home" emergencies). Instead I use the debit card from an old redundant bank account I have. I keep that account empty all of the time and just transfer the necessary funds in before I make a purchase. That way if the card details are stolen the account will have practically nothing in it.

As for the issue of Steam.....

It's been something of a saviour for PC gaming. I read somewhere that Steam has 27 million registered users. That's why so many publishers and developers are releasing stuff on Steam. They're also a pretty good vehicle for indie developers to get their stuff out there. It's also why guys like Eagle Dynamics and Aerofly have moved onto Steam - having your title on the front page of an online store viewed by nearly 30 million users is not an opportunity to be missed. Go and read the Steam forums for DCS and you'll see plenty of new people dropping in curious to find out about the sim who otherwise would never have known about it because they don't frequent dedicated flight sim websites or forums. The regular Steam sales also represent a really big draw as well, where you can get games for anything up to a 90% discount, and their "specials" are also well worth checking out.

There are some gotchas with Steam, such as the "disable auto updates" doesn't always work the way you think it should. The offline mode is also not really offline as a lot of the games will be disabled if you do not log on to Steam for more than two weeks. There is a workaround for this, but Steam have said a more robust offline mode is on their to-do list.

There's still a lot of misinformation floating around with regards to Steam, and plenty of people who simply refuse to even countenance its use. It's advantages far outweigh its disadvantages and if you've got a decent net connection and like PC games there's no real reason not to use it.

Steam is amazing, you just to set it up right. As others have said, turn off auto updates after you restore your original version and backup.

Folks using the Steam releases are constantly having to wait several days for Steam to get the update files and DLC content available, while those of us who d/l directly from SCS have been enjoying the new content for awhile already. ;)

Huh? I'm pretty sure that I'm on the same version you're on...