Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Froogle agrees XP is the future. And....

I used to do it that way, until Austin revealled he was working on a fix for the "torque bug", and I myself decided to settle with X-Plane 10.
It should have been taken care of, years ago. I've compiled quite a list of complaints about it, that have been stated in various internet forums. These range from pilots, to operaters of commercial flight simulators, to just simmers who wonder. And then of course, there are those who switched from FSX, and started to believe that FSX must have been much too simplified, because X-Plane required a lot more concentration and effort, just to maintain level flight. You'll find a lot, on the internet, in regards to my last sentence. For simmers, it's something additional to do. It's more of a challange, as stated by some. For real aircraft operators, it's an annoying problem with rigging, that should be taken care of.In the meantime, I see no purpose in erasing a sim or two, in which there is an investment, when the "other" sim, is still missing much of what I'd want. Drive space is too cheap these days. I say, just run both, or more.Note: I'm just trying to keep my interest in flight simulation "up" here. I'm not using any sims at the moment, because I no longer care about my present CPU. I want a one that does everything. I'm now big $$$ limited. If the interest dies, because of a lack of several available flight simulations, then my want for a new computer will probably die too.I like a lot of varied scenery. I like exceptional graphics. I prefer well done flight models, and enough systems for a fairly realistic aircraft. Just sticking with one sim, will probably never fullfill those requirements in my life time. But who knows, I just saw a documentary last evening, about a lady who was still cross country air racing at 87 years old. She had far more flight hours, than most commercial pilots have. Over 40,000. She was a WASP in WWII. I suppose I have have lots more time!

I agree that XPlane is the future. I will be getting it soon after seeing some of the new aircraft and scenery.

The problem I have with P3D is that no matter what they do, no matter how hard they work, they are still just polishing a t.... well, you know what I mean.

Not really. What it evolved from, never "stunk" anyway. Had it done so, I'd have stayed far away.

I like exceptional graphics. I prefer well done flight models

That's probably why I am also looking forward for Aerofly FS - It's a great simulator, graphics and physics-wise.

They just have a very low profile way of communicating with the user community. The many updates and tuning that is available in this new 1.2.0.3 release are remarkable, but practically no  one had noticed it had been released :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AviTABs...

The problem I have with P3D is that no matter what they do, no matter how hard they work, they are still just polishing a t.... well, you know what I mean.

A small, brown Richard III?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Not really. What it evolved from, never "stunk" anyway. Had it done so, I'd have stayed far away.

FSX is a great flight simulator. But will be less so as time goes by. My comment was directed more toward the activity of trying to improve FSX than FSX itself.

I have edited my post to express my opinion in a different tone.

Froogle is entitled to his opinion, sadly i dont agree with him, there are better sims out there being developed now that can already run circles around XP and XP will never be better than FSX as long as they stick with their current attitude of the whole world being out of step except them.

Froogle makes some great vids and does some interesting reviews but he is also terribly naive, when it comes to the workings of fsx and other sims.

really. besides aerofly v2 and prepar3d i havent heard any other sim out there

really. besides aerofly v2 and prepar3d i havent heard any other sim out there

There are other good sims but none that really take on the world wide aspect of GA.

Getting a little astray of the main topic but I'd have to respectfully disagree with some of what your stating...

On the topic of .Org vs non .org users I don't want to touch that! Users can determine where they feel comfortable for themselves.  I don't particularly care for the .Org for what I consider heavy handed moderation and I don't purchase products from them any more because of this but more importantly that I don't agree with their product support practice of sending updates via emails. I want a place that has a centralized server that I can go get my updates at my leisure and don't have to worry about missing an email or sending in a support request.  These are my opinions and I know there's a good many people who love the .org store; to each his own.  If your talking about a cross platform user base division well much of that is also determined by user preference.  The only way your going to avoid this is to either 1. Only have one platform to choose from or 2. One platform is so superior to the others that there is no reason for division in the first place.  Neither of which has occurred.

On your second point I can agree with just about everything except when you implied that XPlane user's/developers somehow need MSFS users?  Actually they don't.  They didn't need us in V7, V8, V9 and they don't need us in V10 either, I reckon. I think that's where some MSFS users, myself included ( I am new to XP10 and have only been using the program during the last two years), get into trouble. Many threads end up badly for new adopters of Xplane when they start trying to tell longtime XP users "this is whats wrong with" or "this is how how"  XP should work in their respective forums, especially those know for heavy handed moderation. There's one surefire way to ignite a flurry of passionate "heated" responses and that's to be perceived as attacking or criticizing ones beloved platform of choice (regardless of what that choice is) in the other's "house". 

Looking back at this thread and the thread at X-pilot it's easier to see how it stirred folks up. I've learned a little from it, tucked some of that away, and now it's time to move on... I've got a Saab 340 to buy and enjoy on payday and I'm really looking forward to that! B)

X-plane has made it to version 10 without us but it has never been mainstream, MSFS users outnumber x-plane users by quite a bit.  

My point on #2  is that most people who are interested in flightsims fly MSFS right now and FSX is quite old now and for the first time laminar does not have a MSFS option to compete with so if  the goal for X-plane and developers of add-ons for x-plane is to get as many users as possible over to that platform  ( it should be) then now is the time to lure those people to X-plane and make X-plane the go to sim the majority of flight sim fans use. 

For that reason X-plane devs should embrace a opportunity to showcase their products to people outside the X-plane community and stop the petty BS between the .org and anybody who does not sell on the .org. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

My point on #2  is that most people who are interested in flightsims fly MSFS right now and FSX is quite old now and for the first time laminar does not have a MSFS option to compete with so if  the goal for X-plane and developers of add-ons for x-plane is to get as many users as possible over to that platform  ( it should be) then now is the time to lure those people to X-plane and make X-plane the go to sim the majority of flight sim fans use. 

For that reason X-plane devs should embrace a opportunity to showcase their products to people outside the X-plane community and stop the petty BS between the .org and anybody who does not sell on the .org. 

I couldn't agree more.

But, regarding LR, let's not forget they're internally involved in a LOT of deep work, and it all started ( the hard part of it ) with the 64 bit offering, which has placed X-Plane 10 in a new league in terms of flight simulator platforms for the future.

The main factors that would definitely bring mass quantities of users to X-Plane's world are, in order of what I consider as simplicity of implementation:

1) An acceptable ( two would be even better ) default GPS, portraying the functionality of the modern RL units;

2) Credible / plausible AI system;

3) Updated ATC system;

4) Cure for that "blurr" show stopper;

Additionally many would like to have a 64 bit VATSIM client, World features like proper Moon phases and daylight rendering, etc etc etc

Some of the above features may be already in the works for 10.30 and following updates. Some 3pds are probably also waiting for those features, and now also for Austins update to the "prop model physics" ( not actually only prop model... )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AviTABs...

Jcomm just touched on a few things that really need attention.

My marketing strategy has always been to cater to the mass market.  My goal is to bring global additions to X-Plane to extend the sim and clean up some,  what I feel, deficiencies.  Since we are a small team we can only move so fast which brings me to the other goal, to inspire more developers to tackle scenery development on a global scale.

I think I have been successful with this to an extent, personally I would like to see AI traffic to the scale of Flight1 products myself.  With the default airport issue solved, sans user submitted airports, developers now have the ability to implement good AI in the sim.  This may happen once LR has a user database of 5000 or so world airports.

Another think I would like to see are landmarks and accurate skylines in XPX.  When I used FS9 these elements helped to draw me into the simulator and feel if I was flying for real.

Another big one that is going to be solved is the default terrain mesh, we will soon have a FREE product that will give us better terrain features and more accurate "landclass" thanks to Alpilotx....

if xplane give me 2 things i would move over to the xplane side

1- give me a good AI program. the payware ai is no good. its not a true ai system

2- give me good atc. infact i would be alright with atc if it even behaves and sounds like the fs9/fsx version

Frogie, and others, should also consider Aerofly FS.

I know it is not in the same league, but it's still a promissing sim.

I agree x plane is fine but the graphics suck everything looks so bland and lifeless and with full settings I get worse performance than I do with FSX which is why I still use fsx. Aerofly has my vote the graphics are great and so is performance. The creator of x-plane should work on making it pretty.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I may have missed something in recent times, but who exactly is "Froogle" and why does he receive messiah status regarding his opinion???

David Porrett

Froogle is a personable enough guy who does FSX videos on You Tube. He has some good tutorials and decent reviews of addons. I don't know that there is any elevated status to him.

Just Google Froogle... :lol:

who exactly is "Froogle"

Have you been living under a rock?!?! Froogle is only the cooliest FS genius out there!He reviews products and does tutorials too ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I may have missed something in recent times, but who exactly is "Froogle" and why does he receive messiah status regarding his opinion???

FROOGLE is GOD, GOD is FROOGLE. :lol: