Sign in to follow this  
red259

OOM on long haul flights

You know, the whole OOM thing is not too much of a problem for me as I tend to do relatively short flights (3hrs max). I want to go to places I have never been before. As in land there, try different approaches there, go arounds, visual cirquits in areas with difficult terrain around, etc.

This has become so ridiculous. I just flew from PNW to LAX and Boom... OOM! Sheeesh! I can't fly long distance anymore.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

For what its worth i have been struggling all along to get past about 10 hours of flight with a whole variety of different scenery settings etc to try and prevent an OOM issue. So i took a chance with DX10 and the fixer and it has helped my situation alot more than i expected. For example, if i am at Fly Tampa Montreal with 40% AI and mid setting on the sliders and high res cockpit turned off my VAS to start (with non relevant scenery turned off) is about 1.9GB. If I was in DX9 i would be touching 2.4-2.6GB VAS. This difference alone has meant that i can get over 12 hours of flight and still have about 800MB to play with if flying into Fly Tampa Dubai for example. Not suggesting that DX10 is the golden bullet but it worth a try. And with the fixer you still get the night scenery so it's a win win for me right now.  

I flew a 17 hour flight from Flytampa Athens to Sydney and 18 hours back with FSAltitude Australia & ORBX FTX Australia along the way without any trouble, 100% UT2 AI traffic enabled all the way. 

Using ATI Radeon 6990 graphics card & DX9 enabled. 

Regards

Joona L

I flew a 17 hour flight from Flytampa Athens to Sydney and 18 hours back with FSAltitude Australia & ORBX FTX Australia along the way without any trouble, 100% UT2 AI traffic enabled all the way.

Using ATI Radeon 6990 graphics card & DX9 enabled.

Regards

Joona L

thats is great, mean that!

But could you post VAS usage with that?

And slider setting for Autogen?

What do you think is the reason you have such excellent results?

Something you can advice us on?

Rob Robson

I am guessing these OOM issues are more potent on 32-bit OSes? I have 64-bit and as stated, I done an 11 hour flight today. This was from EGLL to KSFO. I used the PMDG 747X, UK2000 EGLL and Ground Environment X - Europe and North America.

My Virtual Address at the start of the flight was: 1'325'000.

My Virtual Address at the gate in San Francisco 11 hours later was: 1'650'000.

I'm hoping that adding a few extra airports and PMDG 777 won't mean my FSX will go overload.

I am guessing these OOM issues are more potent on 32-bit OSes? I have 64-bit and as stated, I done an 11 hour flight today. This was from EGLL to KSFO. I used the PMDG 747X, UK2000 EGLL and Ground Environment X - Europe and North America.

My Virtual Address at the start of the flight was: 1'325'000.

My Virtual Address at the gate in San Francisco 11 hours later was: 1'650'000.

I'm hoping that adding a few extra airports and PMDG 777 won't mean my FSX will go overload.

That is real low. You use GEX/UTX anywhere? And what AI traffic addon if any?

Rob Robson

I am also interested in the above post, I will be purchasing the 777 next month and flying longhaul. I don't use any traffic, just Vatsim and I only have major airports installed and FTX global

Could someone take a quick look at my specs (I have purchased a GTX780) would I be better off with dx9 or 10? Also what are the drawbacks of 10? I will also have the EICAS and FMC undocked to another monitor.

Anyway, will do some research but any advice would be great. Don't want to continue spending money building FSX just for OOMS.

Cheers

Rob Prest

That is real low. You use GEX/UTX anywhere? And what AI traffic addon if any?

I've got GEX for Europe, Africa and Middle East and North America. I'm going to be installing UTX USA soon. All AI is set to 0, I used to use traffic but that got me an average of 3-5 FPS around busy airports. I thought it would have been more usage over that period of time.

My second longhaul flight with T7 KLAX-EGLL. Holding over BNN and I already noticed the beep from FSUIPC....minutes later booom OOM! Very amazing after a nearly 10 hours flight. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I got OOM just before touchdown in OMDB after 7 hours.

My LOD is set to standard: 4.5

I use absolutely no Ai Traffic

only 1024 dxt5 clouds in use

Win 7 64 bit

Sorry to say but at this stage this aircraft is useless for me and I hope PMDG will do some rework on this.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

Guys, I'm going to be baned... but the single most right thing PMDG has to do about this OOMs is porting the 777, and the NGX, etc, to X-Plane 10... Sorry for being to extremist.... There's no thing as a OOM there for the reasons you have it in FSX.

I've moved 100% to X-Plane 10, so, I'm certainly being biased in my comment, but honestly, I don't believe any miracle can do a complex aircraft, even optimized to the limits, not cause OOMs in FSX, I believe.

And this being written, I still say that I never experienced a single OOM with the T7 in FSX though. Only default scenery being used, 0% AI, but using FSUIPC and a weather injector.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My second longhaul flight with T7 KLAX-EGLL. Holding over BNN and I already noticed the beep from FSUIPC....minutes later booom OOM! Very amazing after a nearly 10 hours flight. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I got OOM just before touchdown in OMDB after 7 hours.

My LOD is set to standard: 4.5

I use absolutely no Ai Traffic

only 1024 dxt5 clouds in use

Win 7 64 bit

Sorry to say but at this stage this aircraft is useless for me and I hope PMDG will do some rework on this.

Posts like these worry me, I was hoping AI traffic would be a large factor in all of this. What are you full specs btw? Also are you using the Aerosoft EGLL or UK2000?

Rob Prest

Posts like these worry me, I was hoping AI traffic would be a large factor in all of this. What are you full specs btw? Also are you using the Aerosoft EGLL or UK2000?

Hello Rob,

I'm using UK2000 Version of EGLL.

My specs are as follows:

i7-3770K @ 4,8 GHz

GTX 680

16 GB RAM

2 x Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Win7 / FSX)

It's an "FSX-only" system with 44 processes running in the background, no internet surfing or other stuff during flight.

I will disable RAAS in a next step and test it, but I'm not willing to castrate my whole fsx (deactivating sceneries, autogen or something like that), to fly one addon which exclusively causes OOM's.

I have no problems with NGX or other aircrafts.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I do believe system specifications do not effect VAS (other than 32-bit or 64-bit OSes), which causes OOMs. 

My computer is relatively low spec. I have a GeForce GT 320 (1GB), Intel i5 3.2GHz dual-core processor.

With these specifications I've never OOMed, so I don't think splashing $1000 on a high-end PC will fix anything. There isn't much you can do except to uninstall/remove add-ons which are not used, turn down graphical settings. If you're doing a flight from Heathrow to Dubai, there's no need for your Aerosoft add-ons for Brussels, or FSDT etc to be enabled. I do believe they take VAS space up.

Correct me in any errors I have made.

I never used RAAS.

Since I also had stuff from A2A and Aerosoft ( aircraft only ), I used to disable the DLLs before starting a fresh 777 session, by editing DLL.xml.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

After doing a bit of research I am beginning to wonder if those experiencing OOMS are jumping in and out of the cockpit.

Rob Prest