Sign in to follow this  
aussie_whiskey

Start up procedures - considering purchase.

Hello,

A few questions here but please be patient reading this post - thanks.

I am considering purchasing this aircraft package but am not sure if I will be happy with it.

Firstly and most importantly I am a casual flight simmer.

I am wondering if this aircraft can be selected in a fully started condition - eg electonics on, tests completed, engines running etc so that all I need to do is program the FMC (or is it the FMS?), taxi and take off.

I don't mind starting from 'cold' but at times just want to get into the air without all the 'procedures' of starting up.

Also do any of the normal keyboard commands for the instruments panel have an effect on this aircraft or must some of the intrument panel control (buttons, toggle switches etc) be only done by mouse clicking the display?

Also does anyone know if the SAITEK instrument 'panels' control the aircraft?

Lastly. I think I remember somewhere that some 3rd party flight planners can save in a format which PMDG aircraft can load. Does this program the FMC?

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi John,

NGX is fully configurable.

U can choose one of few predefined plane status, also when plane is fully started and ready for taxi.

Keyboard shortcuts - fully configurable, so u can operate by using mouse or keybard commands.

I think most recent planner and most probably the best one is PFPX ( can export flight plan in PMDG format ).

No info/experience about SAITEK

Artur 

Thanks Artur,

I have been researching a bit and note that FS Commander (flight planner) will also save in PMDG 'format' HOWEVER it strips any SIDS and STARS which is a pity.

Could not find much information on PFPX. Do you know if it saves plans FULLY (including Sids and Stars).

Also where can it be purchased and about how much is it?

Thanks

John

Thanks Artur,

I have been researching a bit and note that FS Commander (flight planner) will also save in PMDG 'format' HOWEVER it strips any SIDS and STARS which is a pity.

Could not find much information on PFPX. Do you know if it saves plans FULLY (including Sids and Stars).

Thanks

John

I don't think the problem is the flight planner but the NGX. I think PMDG decided to take out the importing of SIDS/STARS on purpose (I think the real one does it this way), but this can be done in about 6 mouse clicks anyway. As for startup states, you can even save your own custom states if you wish. Also, you can program a bunch of key commands through the FMS. Finally, you can try out http://simbrief.com/home/ which is an excellent and free flight planning tool.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Thanks Artur,

I would recommend pfpx. Its an excellent program. It does include SIDS and stars in the flight plan and they are exportable to the 737ngx (SIDS/stars) are removed by FMC, because those are normally assigned by ATC at time of departure/approach. Google it and you will find website or search YouTube for tutorials. You can do much of the same for free, but this program makes everything much easier and is extremely accurate. I would recommend getting the package that includes top cat. I was hesitant at first but its took my simming to a whole new level and has saved a huge amount of time preflight

Thanks guys for your replis.

No I assumed it was PMDG which stripped out the Sids and Stars from how I read the article.

I am now looking at Simbrief.

Thanks again

I have ordered PMDG B737 NGX and look forward to receiving it.

I just started using FS2crew with the PMDG and maybe somebody here could answer my question. Is it possible to have the FS2crew FO do everything from a cold and dark start? 

I just started using FS2crew with the PMDG and maybe somebody here could answer my question. Is it possible to have the FS2crew FO do everything from a cold and dark start? 

Almost everything. You have to do the captain's duties such as setting up fmc, and some other steps, but the FO will do a lot of the work. Its an option on the fscrew panel. You select how you want the aircraft started, whether you want pushback and a few other options. 

No I assumed it was PMDG which stripped out the Sids and Stars from how I read the article.

It is correct that the NGX does strip out SID/STAR data.  The reason is that imported routes should not have SID/STAR information in them to begin with.  In the 99% scenario, route imports in the real world will not contain this information for various reasons:

1. The main reason is that nav data changes.  If you save a route with the SID and STAR in it, what happens when the AWSUM3 SID becomes the AWSUM4?  You're flying on old data.  You'd have to delete that data, and add the new one back in.  Since these things have the possibility of changing every 28 days, you might as well leave them out and just select them when the time comes.  It only adds about 20 seconds to the whole process, and saves you several minutes of removing the old data and having to check the route to see if it was properly removed.  SIDs and STARs really aren't the complex beasts people make them out to be.  They're exactly like the route you're flying between the two airports, only you don't have to look as hard to find them because they're more standardized.  Plus, if you're flying a US route, you can just poach the routes off of FlightAware, which will tell you what SID/STAR the airline filed.
  2. Some SIDs/STARs are runway dependent - adding them to the route could mean deleting them only to add in a different one, and checking the entire route to ensure that the earlier SID/STAR were properly removed
  3. Some SIDs/STARs are ATC-assigned, or time of day dependent.  See above.

The FMC is actually kind of a cool tool (which is the main reason you're getting NGX, I'm assuming).  Don't be afraid to hand-enter your plans.  It really doesn't take that much time.  The tutorials that come with the plane show you a lot of cool tips, tricks, and pointers on how to make it quick and easy.

Also - when you get it, please read the intro manual at the very least.  There's a section in there that descibes a lot of the quirks of the plane (and there are several).  Save yourself the frustration and spend a few minutes on the bus/train/plane/coffee shop seat/couch reading about what might trip you up.

This is a study sim.  Even if you're not going to want to learn proper startup/shutdown, it'll still take some studying on your part to get it to work properly.

Also, shameless plug...

While this is more of a video on how to route yourself, it does contain information on how SIDs/STARs are selected:

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Wow thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes I realise that in the real world Sids and Stars may change but I wouldn't think that they would in FSX.

Anyway it's just me being LAZY. If I have to insert them into the FMS then I have to. No big deal I guess.

I will be printing the docs (I downloaded) and reading them before I get my B737 NGX for Christmas and will also be viewing some tutorials on Youtube which I have seen. Hopefully I will be "up to speed" before I even install it.

Yes there are a few flight planners (free and payware) which display possible Sids and Stars for the airports and you choose the relevant one according to which runway you will use (wind direction).

That begs another question.

What happens in the real world should the wind direction change mid flight and there for the arrival runway and Star needs to be changed? I guess you just delete the existing ones and enter the new ones - would be a nuisance to pilots especially should that happen when only a few miles away which not much time left.

Thanks again

Hi Kyle,

Wow thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes I realise that in the real world Sids and Stars may change but I wouldn't think that they would in FSX.

Anyway it's just me being LAZY. If I have to insert them into the FMS then I have to. No big deal I guess.

I will be printing the docs (I downloaded) and reading them before I get my B737 NGX for Christmas and will also be viewing some tutorials on Youtube which I have seen. Hopefully I will be "up to speed" before I even install it.

Yes there are a few flight planners (free and payware) which display possible Sids and Stars for the airports and you choose the relevant one according to which runway you will use (wind direction).

That begs another question.

What happens in the real world should the wind direction change mid flight and there for the arrival runway and Star needs to be changed? I guess you just delete the existing ones and enter the new ones - would be a nuisance to pilots especially should that happen when only a few miles away which not much time left.

Thanks again

Your normally not given your runway assignment or arrival star until your near your destination for that very reason that winds change. You get it from ATC. 

Thanks

Is there then any reason to program the arrival runway and Star into the FMS until you are given directions/clearance by ATC.

What is the normal 'protocol'. I know FSX isn't real world but I guess it's good to try and emulate as much as possible what really does happen.

Thanks

Is there then any reason to program the arrival runway and Star into the FMS until you are given directions/clearance by ATC.

What is the normal 'protocol'. I know FSX isn't real world but I guess it's good to try and emulate as much as possible what really does happen.

Only reason is to feed FMS with more data so it can calculate time and fuel estimates more precisely.

I guess that's regulated by company SOP or even by pilot's discretion.