Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

After 30 years of simming and tweaking various systems and fs variations, I am very happy with FSX.

I've learned to be realistic about my expectations and take a long term view of things.

With a I5 at 4.3 and a gtx460 with practically everything maxed out and in Steve's DX10, I never go below 16fps and average 25-35 fps most of the time. 

I've learned to temper my expectations for "realism and true to life" vs tweaking and going crazy rather than flying and mastering IFR procedures.

So to stay with this topic, I am not planning to go to P3d until something truly revolutionary happens or when FSX is no longer supported by add on developers.

I am simply too tired to chase the latest promises, only to be disappointed.

I am , however, glad that a new sim is getting ready to eventually replace FSX. I think p3d needs some teething time.

tc

Five or ten years ago I'd have been playing with P3Dv2 no doubt, but something happened after I got married and had a son - my available time to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies became a fraction of what it once was...I need to maximize my enjoyment of it.

Amen to that! Sometimes I think that people on here don't understand how much time having a FT job and a toddler takes up! Hence why I haven't bought any payware planes because that 45 minutes it takes to fire up/program the FMC/taxi out may be the only time I get to play for a day or 2!

I think the question for me is, "am i going back to FS9?" Never really got into FSX. Most of you are talking about a mature FSX that has years of tweaking, add ons, etc. Version 2 just came out, it stumbled at the starting block but in my opinion, it's better out the box than FSX was when it was released.

After flying in version 2, I find it very hard to go back to FSX. I do agree that more developers need to get on board.

Thanks

Is anyone going back to FSX?

I'm re-installing as I type this. I'm tired of trying to trying to figure out why its not stable. I have issues with weird CTD regardless of whether add-on's are installed or not.

Not being able to fly my PMDG planes is also a major drawback.

Hopefully, LM will release updates before my 60-day refund period is up.

After spending 7years fighting FSX; I know all the moves, I know when to dodge, duck, or look the other way. Quit frankly, it's getting boring. The sun hasn't suddenly started to shine out of its a** so I'm not buying it a box of chocolates just because.

Wow, I can't believe I'm about to write this but, on my system anyway, FSX is significantly more stable than P3D 2.0. I have completed multiple multi-hour flights without any CTD's. Yes, in heavy scenery areas, FSX did stutter a bit and was not as smooth as P3D but since I have not had any CTD's, I'm giving this one to FSX. I'm sticking with FSX for now or at least until LM releases an update that addresses the stability problem many are experiencing.

One of the nice things about all this is that because P3D shares many similarities with FSX, when I finally do make the change for good it will be easy to do so. Not many new program-based procedures to learn! FSX is still better for me, but I'll keep running P3D and waiting for the upgrades I hope and trust will come.

- Bill Magann

FSX/DX10 will stay on my computer but P3DV2.0 is now my "go to" platform. I only expect P3D to get better with every update.

Lyn

Look on the bright side. If you stick with FSX, you will be able to have fun. You aren't allowed to have fun in P3D. The EULA strictly forbids it :biggrin:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It is pretty smooth with my system, but I cannot turn up the sliders and options with my hardware.  FSX is still pretty good with my hardware, but still it's not smooth.

I have stopped trying to get add ons into P3D.  There's just too many problems with installing them into it.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I'm re-installing as I type this

This is the part that's hard to follow for me.  I guess you uninstalled FSX because either you really didn't have enough drive space, or were so impressed w/ V2 it just seemed there was no turning back?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

FSX/DX10 will stay on my computer but P3DV2.0 is now my "go to" platform.

I"m wondering a little if I should have paid more attention to DX10 for FSX.  It sounds like you are quite familiar w/ both.  Can you please comment on visually how they compare, DX10 FSX versus V2?  I ask because when I compare FSX w/o DX10 w/ V2 it's really the difference in visuals that has my attention in V2.  I've had smoothness handled quite well in FSX to where the primary reason to jump ship is more about visuals than anything else.  And it's hard not to notice the obviously missing parts in V2:  no dialogue to get to the planner & settings BEFORE launching a flight.  That that survived P3D 1.4 is surprising to me.   Plus, no real weather is present, which while I didn't use it much now and again the add one weather I've used might be inaccessible due to server issues, etc.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have both (bought Steve's DX10 when it was launched) and it's still not a patch on P3D2 IMO. Steve's fixer doesn't do anything for the z-order fighting clouds in mountainous terrain for instance, whereas in P3D2 they're already vastly reduced. And it still doesn't perform as well as DX11 P3D2 in terms of smoothness and texture loading - at least on my machine.

Noel,

I had started using DX10 using the guide here on Avsim and was pretty happy with it although it took a lot of tweaking. I got Steve Parsons DX10 Fixer when it was released and this is a very quick and simple way to get into DX10. The Fixer is automatic in the installation and when it was done, there was a definite difference in the visuals - for the better! (I also run SweetFX on both FSX and P3D.) Now that I have tweaked P3D to where I want it I can make some observations between the two. Both give an excellent visual appearance but P3D just has a smoother feel about it. No, I can't give hard data as to why - it is just smoother. I am very confident that LM will be making great strides as they release their updates as they progress with the platform.

As to weather, I have a post somewhere here on Avsim about a flight I did in a thunderstorm. The short version is that the turbulence was very effective and the shadows in the cockpit during lightning flashes were just awesome! I was quite impressed and was very happy to get her down safely.

So, bottom line: I prefer P3D for it's smoothness and bright future but would be quite happy if all I had was FSX/DX10. 6-12 months from now, after LM releases an update or two, I expect that P3D will be even more advanced  than FSX/DX10, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Thank you Lyn yes it does help!

Noel