Sign in to follow this  
enrico68

Wondering how many fly their 777 in real time

Hi 777 Captains,

after reading many threads on the 777, I am wondering how many fly it in real time, so no time compression. I believe a mean flight time would be around 12 hours, what do you do in those hours? I am sure there are the ones who just go to sleep, and wake up the next mornig, in time for landing, but that does not count. I would like to hear from those who monitor the flight from take off to landing, like the ones who fly online, and have to be ready in case  ATC calls in the middle of nowhere, over the ocean, etc. How do you manage it, what do you do during the flight? Study the manual, watch a movie with the PC under control, or else? Just curious, as I see many 777 on IVAO, and I am always wondering what the pilot is doing...

Enrico

I have been flying since at least FS98 and have never used the time compression option.

I do various things. Mostly read a book or go in the other room and take a break to watch tv. Do laundry. Cook food. It makes the time go by fast but I spend the majority of my time watching and monitoring the systems.

I never use the time compression function.

For me, the long haul flights are the perfect time to catch up on my reading. I actually find the sound of the engines in the background to be the perfect white noise for reading, which was probably not one of the main motivating factors for PMDG to get the soundsets for their programs to such a high standard.

In between, it is also interesting to observe the plane's behavior under different conditions, a few nights ago on a flight from Beijing to London, the plane encountered a sudden and strong tail wind which pushed its speed to way over the VNAV speed. The alarm went off and the plane, flying at 35 000ft, pulled its nose up and started climbing to over 36 000ft in an effort to counter the overspeed. I decided not to intervene in order to see what the plane can actually do if left to itself. When the speed had returned to the programmed one, and the plane returned to 35 000ft, I went back to my book, having decided that the plane's response was way better than anything that I could have improvised.

When (if) I do a long haul flight, I always do it online on VATSIM. I generally depart in the evening, go to sleep, and set an alarm for TOD in the morning. Here's the catch: I have changed the PM sound in FSInn to something highly annoying and bound to wake you up. This way, I can sleep with my speakers on as the virtual GE90's whine away, and if ATC comes online, their "Please contact me on xxx.yyy." will wake me up. I have an erratic sleeping pattern anyway so I don't mind. :)

I also choose a route and fly during a time when enroute ATC is unlikely to be online.

Never used time compression. 

Long haul is a rarity how ever as I don't often have the free time. 

Longest flight to date has been AC15.  Toronto to Hong Kong.  Took about 15.5 hours and went right over the top of the north pole. (causing the 777 to fly in zigzag patterns in LNAV, maybe I did something wrong)

I did not sit in front of the screen the whole time, I took 2 4 hour breaks so I wouldn't breach the 8 hour rule.

I never use time compression either. Usually I will study or do chores around the house.

No time compression at all.

During long flight: cooking, cleaning, walking with dog, and from time to time watching how flight goes.

Speakers are set loud enough that even when i stay other room i can hear what's going on, or sometimes i am using wireless headphones.

Artur 

I don't fly realistic T7 routes; my flying is completely unrealistic entirely fictitious. biggrin.png

I fly about 2 hours of duration, so no time compression is needed.

The B777 is a wonderful aircraft and it's not just the pilot, but also the aircraft that gets bored in cruise!!! :lol:

The RW city pairs can be rather boring, as well (big hubs, very often no terrain issues, pretty straightforward SIDs and STARs). I'm just trying to get some variation into the T7 flying: Shorter routes, more airports to choose from, terrain avoidance, ... B)

No time compression, but I don't sit there the entire time either.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

All my flights are in real time. I use time compression ones to see how it works, but my wife told me if you going to do it

at lease do it in real time. after all it will be nice if the real airlines can use time compression.

Today I will be flying from OMAD to UEEE.

Happy holidays.

Fernando A. Maldonado

Hi 777 Captains,

after reading many threads on the 777, I am wondering how many fly it in real time, so no time compression. I believe a mean flight time would be around 12 hours, what do you do in those hours? I am sure there are the ones who just go to sleep, and wake up the next mornig, in time for landing, but that does not count. I would like to hear from those who monitor the flight from take off to landing, like the ones who fly online, and have to be ready in case  ATC calls in the middle of nowhere, over the ocean, etc. How do you manage it, what do you do during the flight? Study the manual, watch a movie with the PC under control, or else? Just curious, as I see many 777 on IVAO, and I am always wondering what the pilot is doing...

Enrico

The only occasions when I might consider not using time compression is on flights around 4-6 hours in the 777. During that time, I do pretty much what all the others already mentioned: reading, chores, having dinner ... you name it.

For those really long legs, I usually go for time compression to shorten the flight to a timespan that is reasonable for me personally.

Dave P. Woycek

My flight have ranged from 2 hours to 17 hours.  For the long ones, I do other things during cruise, such as sleep, play with the kids, go out, etc.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I never use time compression. I always fly for my VA and our software doesn't allow time compression, plus I enjoy looking at the fuel etc while in cruise.

I don't have any opinions on why people use it as it personal circumstances but nothing worse when people on vatsim or ivao use time compression and zoom past you at warp speed

Stewart Cumbers