Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

3-Monitor setup : what graphics card(s)

Last month I bought a second Asus GTX 680 Top 2gb to fly in SLI in FSX and the future P3D v2.

Now it appears that 2 Gb video memory is not enough for P3D v2.

My senses say that I need 2 cards with 4 Gb Memory.

The GTX 770 is about the same speed as the GTX cards I have now . And selling my cards and adding 250 euro for extra memory....

The Titan is already starting to "age" but has 6 Gb memory.

But I am curious if FSX has no problems with 2 Titans in SLI.

The GTX 780 has 3 gb memory and some people with a Titan have seen 3.3 memory used.

So what to do if I want to start flying P3d ....?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have an AMD card with 3GB and with three monitors I've seen it go to 2.4gb To be completely fair, to run P3D well in Eyefinity on my system I need a better card, or probably two :)

When using it on the centre screen and using the two side screens to display other things, I can still use up just over 2gb but obviously get much better performance.

2x Titan 6gb --> € 900 ( second hand )

2x GTX 3gb -->. € 750 ( second hand )

2x. GTX 770 4gb -->. € 800 ( new )

Advice for a 3 monitor setup ( 5850x1050 ). ?

P3d and FSX

My three 21inch screens are each set up at 1920*1080 in Eyefinity they run at 5868*1080. Now that I've learned what to tune and how it affects my system, I have two cfg's set up so that depending on my mood and how much detail I want to see, it's easy to choose. My poor AMD HD7950 will only push so much detail round the screen at acceptable performance. Simply get the fastest card you can afford and be happy.

I am using 3 24 inch Dell monitors with my single GTX 760 card and with some fussing with settings I'm getting over 30fps with settings turned up pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like I will be getting the 2 Titans ( I must be crazy :-0 )

I run a ASUS GTX770 OCII 2gb Card on 3 24" Asus monitors (5760x1080) with little problem in FSX.

I run a ASUS GTX770 OCII 2gb Card on 3 24" Asus monitors (5760x1080) with little problem in FSX.

My question is about P3D v2 ...

I am running a single GTX 670 (2GB) across (3) 27" displays with no issues.  Can run sliders usually between mid-max with great results hovering around 25-30FPS (locked at 33).    Was first considering a Titan two but holding off for now until I get to know this beast a bit better.  From what I have read, SLI is not implemented in P3Dv2 so not sure why you want to throw two of those in there?  

Been reading about a new GTX 780 Ti with 6GB on board to be released this December so I am waiting to see what jaw-dropping price that will be. :Nail Biting:

• Upvote 1

GTX 780 Ti with 6GB

UPDATE  12/4/2013 3pm CT: EVGA responded to our inquiry on the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Kingpin Edition and informed us that it would have higher clock speeds than the standard Classified version, that it is aimed at LN2 cooling users and that it is just 3GB contrary to what the rumors have said.  So, no 6GB version is to be had here.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/evga-geforce-gtx-780-ti-kingpin-6gb-video-card-made-overclocking_130114#aUkReyocuTsZIjhe.99

I am running a single GTX 670 (2GB) across (3) 27" displays with no issues.  Can run sliders usually between mid-max with great results hovering around 25-30FPS (locked at 33).    Was first considering a Titan two but holding off for now until I get to know this beast a bit better.  From what I have read, SLI is not implemented in P3Dv2 so not sure why you want to throw two of those in there?  

Been reading about a new GTX 780 Ti with 6GB on board to be released this December so I am waiting to see what jaw-dropping price that will be. :Nail Biting:

SLI is supposed to be implemented in version 2.1.

Good strategy would probably be to wait for version 2.1 and set up 2 GTX 770's 2GB each in SLI (4Gb total)... ZOTAC 770's going for about 320$CAD here.

Heard SLI 770 setup actually beats GTX 780 single for less money :)

My question is about P3D v2 ...

Yes, but if I can run that on FSX, then P3D, which is suppose to be leaps and bounds better performance wise, should be able to handle it even better.   Cheers!

SLI is supposed to be implemented in version 2.1.

Good strategy would probably be to wait for version 2.1 and set up 2 GTX 770's 2GB each in SLI (4Gb total)... ZOTAC 770's going for about 320$CAD here.

Heard SLI 770 setup actually beats GTX 780 single for less money :)

That is my exact plan. My 680 3g works as well as anything currently. Im not doing anything until LM tweaks/otimizing what they currently have as things could be much different when that happens. Then i shall consider adding another 680 for SLI.

Oooooh, so no 6GB 780.  So for myself I would probably go for the Titan thinking down the road I may need that extra VRAM for my displays.   I keep think 3-4GB just will be on the edge  when it comes to multiple monitors, but then again I have no data to support my thoughts, ha! :P

Hi,

I run three  Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitors (5760x1200x32) via a GTX690 and I would never go back to a single monitor. I may even purchase another 690 (burned up one of the two I had )-8 ) to run SLI. As soon as P3D is able to utilize the four GPU's, P3D v2 with 8GB should be SWEET!.

I run a 3 monitor set up in FSX with a GTX670 4MB.  I'm tired of the stretched periphery - makes me nauseated in turns. 

Does P3Dv2 have this stretched out effect? 

Also, does anyone know for sure if the GTX670 will run P3Dv2 on three screens?   Is this card fully compatible with it i.e. supports DirectX 11?

Thanks!

I run a 3 monitor set up in FSX with a GTX670 4MB. I'm tired of the stretched periphery - makes me nauseated in turns.

Does P3Dv2 have this stretched out effect?

Also, does anyone know for sure if the GTX670 will run P3Dv2 on three screens? Is this card fully compatible with it i.e. supports DirectX 11?

Thanks!

Yes the stretched out effect is still there. Apparently one can edit the camera.cfg to fix but I haven't figured that out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With SLI the VRAM being used is what only one card has.

So 2 cards with 2gb is NOT 4gb...!

You still get 2GB, the cards need to mirror the information.

They are working in tandem, yes... but you still have 2 GB.

So, you will have the power of 2 gpu's , but only 2 gb of video ram memory

To Mike :

In FSX you can benefit from SLI when using the 2d cockpit without instruments or spotplane view.

On my system with 2x GTX680 I have 40% more fps.

Your GTX690 is about the same . Perhaps you could try SLI in P3D in the same way ?

I just purchased a single Titan to replace my SLI NVidia 480s.  I'm running 6000 X 1200 bezel trip. monitors.  I'm running this on a single TITAN and it is light years beyond what I was running before.  I can run nearly max settings with smooth frame rates locked at 35 FPS.  I have no idea if it is the speed of the card, or the extra memory and I don't know if I'll regret going with a TITAN instead of the new cheaper 780s, but I'm banking on the TITAN to drop in price.  I assume I'll get another Titan once SLI is developed properly for Prepar3d 2.1.  SLI and FSX/P3D has never been a positive experience for me.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the single titan is smoother than two SLI titans, at least for now. 

My 480s in SLI would sometimes drop into the 6-14 fps ranges and slide show on me, especially if I was running two other monitors on a second auxillary card for outside views or gauges.  The Titan doesn't seem to skip a beat.  I'm depressed because my 480s died.  I was hoping to have a TITAN and a 480 as my auxiliary for exterior monitors.  I'm actually thinking about buying a 770, but I think I'll just take what I have.  The big issue when you upgrade is that you'll be able to run settings at much higher values, but your secondauxillary card (if you use one) may not be powerful enough to handle those settings, so I'd absolutely leap on cheap TITANS without question. If SLI was a jerky experience, you would still benefit from running each card for more than triple monitors with SLI turned off.  Next best option would be two 780 TIs.  My understanding is that the 780 TIs are equal to the TITANS in most regards and much less expensive.  I'm hoping future games will take advantage of the TITAN for longevity.  Only time will tell.

I have older Samsung monitors, so if you go with a single TITAN, you will need to buy an active displayPort to DVI adapter.  I purchased an Accell UltraAV adapter and it worked beautifully.  I couldn't get an HDMI to DVI adapter to run triple monitors on the single card, or get the HDMI to run as a fourth monitor.  It would steal the DVI signal for some reason. ENJOYYOUR TITANS! ! !  

Just for clarification, I'm running Prepar3d V2

.. this hobby gets more and more expensive ... no matter what you spend, it's never enough .... soon we will get to a point where pursuing your PPL will be more affordable then running your flight sim ....... it's absurd .... :unsure:  

• Upvote 1

I'm running one  GTX 780 EVGA (3 gig) on 4 monitors - 3 23" for FSX, one 25 " for ancillary programs.  I use nvidia inspector and vertical sync in windowed mode (courtesy of Word Not Allowed's tweaks).  Works fine, most of my sliders full right. :rolleyes:   

I'm running one  GTX 780 EVGA (3 gig) on 4 monitors - 3 23" for FSX, one 25 " for ancillary programs.  I use nvidia inspector and vertical sync in windowed mode (courtesy of Word Not Allowed's tweaks).  Works fine, most of my sliders full right. :rolleyes:

What is the total resolution for the 23 inch screens? Do you use bezel correction? What LOD setting are you using thanks?