Sign in to follow this  
PoanickyBoad

Using electronic recording devices during takeoff and landing

http://www.caa.govt.nz/public_and_media_info/caa_releases/Electronic_devices.pdf

That document goes on to state New Zealand law on the subject which is Primary Rule CAR 91.7 (updated 2002)

This bans using PEDs designed to transmit electromagnetic energy during IFR flight.

It also bans using other PEDs during instrument  approach or departure procedures.  Certain types of PED exempted from this ban, but the list of exemptions does not include cameras. 

Yes and we also have to wear bicycle helmets in New Zealand for which I don't as well.....The difference is enforcement which is very lacking here

Show me where there was any enforcement of that on any passengers in New Zealand?

Easy to quote rules, which New Zealand does have many but we also have a different way of dealing with things, which makes us not an overbearing nation.

WingZ said it best with his post already:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428499-using-electronic-recording-devices-during-takeoff-and-landing/?p=2874262

Matthew Kane

This isn't an FAA thing as FAA is in the United States and not New Zealand. 

Actually, most people do not realize that FAA means nothing outside US.

Actually, most people do not realize that FAA means nothing outside US.

I keep laughing at that all the time. Post an incident in Canada on here and right away you see FAA this and FAA that. Same with anywhere in the world like the FAA has jurisdiction above all.

We do have our own aviation rules in New Zealand and a high set of standards. Which is why we get many international students here in our flight schools. We have a good reputation in flight training, and with the magnificent scenery on top of that, New Zealand is the best place on the planet to go to Flight School......Cheers

Matthew Kane

Yes because as he says he is in New Zealand and would like to on Air New Zealand, for that he was perfectly clear.

As he said:

He is not talking about the USA or the FAA regulations or anything like that as you went on about. He just wanted to film the landing and take-off on Air New Zealand flights and was wondering how to get around that.....were a few Kiwi's suggested to just do it

Makes me glad to live in New Zealand where we don't give a toss about the FAA or overbearing regulations, we have our own set of rules that is nothing to do with the FAA. Like I said nothing would happen if you did film anyways and that was backed up by another Kiwi. Were not over regulated America where we arrest people for frivolous things,

You guys read into this as you want but neither of you live here so this doesn't effect you....it is a guy visiting our nation and just wanted to film it for himself and I don't see any harm in that as I do what he wanted to do all the time, in fact I take it as a compliment he wanted to capture the beauty of this nation and hope he has a great time here as most people do.

When he visits your nations then feel free to come down on him hard for breaking your frivolous rules if you so desire.

I sincerely answered the question exactly as the question was posed. If you want to turn this into a justification of your scofflaw attitude towards rules, then go right on ahead.

I sincerely answered the question exactly as the question was posed. If you want to turn this into a justification of your scofflaw attitude towards rules, then go right on ahead.

Call it differences in culture and I am happy with that......Cheers

Matthew Kane

The OP wanted to know why the cabin crew prevented him from filming on Air New Zealand flights during take off and landing.

He's got his answer, which it is against New Zealand law and the cabin crew were enforcing the law. 

Easy to quote rules, which New Zealand does have many but we also have a different way of dealing with things, which makes us not an overbearing nation.

I  trust you are not a commercial pilot.

The OP wanted to know why the cabin crew prevented him from filming on Air New Zealand flights during take off and landing.

He's got his answer, which it is against New Zealand law and the cabin crew were enforcing the law. 

OP was asking for ways to circumvent that rule on Air New Zealand and the answer he got from the Kiwi's on here was just do it. Nothing will happen. I speak from actual experience with that as well

I am still not sure where the non-kiwi's on here are going with all this  :lol:

I  trust you are not a commercial pilot.

Of course not and I never pretended to be one. I did go to Flight School from 1997 to 1998 at Toronto Island Airport but no longer maintain due to the costs, especially the cost to fly in New Zealand which is up to three times the costs compared flying in Canada or the USA. My intention was to fly as a hobby and never commercially and I am glad I did it.

This is getting tiring so I am out........but it was a reminder of why I love New Zealand. Best country in the world to live....This is the most beautiful place on the planet and the OP just wanted to capture that on film, and for that I don't blame him......For the rest of you shame you've never been here to see or experience it because you clearly do not understand where the OP is coming from....Cheers  B)

(another video I made showing my home on an Air New Zealand Flight.......Proud of where I live :lol: )

Matthew Kane

(...) For the rest of you shame you've never been here to see or experience it because you clearly do not understand where the OP is coming from....Cheers  B)

(...)

Well I've actually been there and the colours of all the hundreds of photos I took are second to none.

I just didn't know what to contribute to this thread (except for the extra popcorn ...) - until now!   :lol:

OP was asking for ways to circumvent that rule on Air New Zealand and the answer he got from the Kiwi's on here was just do it. Nothing will happen. I speak from actual experience with that as well

I am still not sure where the non-kiwi's on here are going with all this :lol:

Of course not and I never pretended to be one. I did go to Flight School from 1997 to 1998 at Toronto Island Airport but no longer maintain due to the costs, especially the cost to fly in New Zealand which is up to three times the costs compared flying in Canada or the USA. My intention was to fly as a hobby and never commercially and I am glad I did it.

This is getting tiring so I am out........but it was a reminder of why I love New Zealand. Best country in the world to live....This is the most beautiful place on the planet and the OP just wanted to capture that on film, and for that I don't blame him......For the rest of you shame you've never been here to see or experience it because you clearly do not understand where the OP is coming from....Cheers B)

(another video I made showing my home on an Air New Zealand Flight.......Proud of where I live :lol: )

The op already stated he was told by Air New Zealand crew that he couldn't, so he already knows what may happen and what he can or can't do. He also asked what happens in other countries and why there are such rules. He was given honest straightforward answers to these questions. You are the one here who decided to hijack the thread into a justification of your personal behaviors and attitude towards authority and rules. Your strong need to rationalize your actions that can potentially endanger other people shows that you at least have a subconscious sense of guilt that is trying to tell you something....that you need to grow up. Speed limits are posted for a reason. You also need to read a little slower so that you understand what you are reading and resist projecting your own agendas into what you read.

Your strong need to rationalize your actions that can potentially endanger other people shows that you at least have a subconscious sense of guilt that is trying to tell you something. You need to grow up. Speed limits are posted for a reason. You also need to read a little slower so that you understand what you are reading and resist projecting your own agendas into what you read.

sounds to me like you need to take a walk mate. "My strong need to"  followed by some psychological rant.....LOL

Anyhow....Here is another I just posted this morning....Landing in Queenstown:

And I am 100% positive that the FAA won't be doing a Kim Dotcom style raid on my house for doing this and I am greatful I don't live in your world mate.....have a great day.  Cheers

Matthew Kane

I'm sure the question has been answered - somewhere - in here.

The whole discussion is based on somebody posing the question to the aircraft manufacturer, airline operator, and perhaps coffee trolley operator:

"If I do this thing, can you guarantee we won't fall out of the sky?" 

In a generally litigious world, the answer always will be "No!" 

I have a Lumix digital camera with which I've shot any number of HD inflight videos.

It has a flight mode, which turns off the GPS and any other transmitting functions.

On explaining this to cabin crew (up front) I've never had any trouble on any flight. 

Problem is, I know for sure my wife doesn't know how to activate flight mode, so if I were cabin staff I would most definitely tell her "No!"  :O

The first time I flew with the camera, I RTFM, an important part of taking home those great memories.  B)

Since I don't have the time to research the circuitry in use at any moment inside the gizmo, I just follow what the camera manual says:

GPS.jpg

The first time I flew with the camera, I RTFM, an important part of taking home those great memories.  B)

Since I don't have the time to research the circuitry in use at any moment inside the gizmo, I just follow what the camera manual says:

GPS.jpg

The key words in those instructions are ".. and then turn off the camera" which applies to takeoff and landing.