Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

Before I purchase P3d V2

A few questions , some of them may have already been answered.

Which version ?

I ask this as 200$ is around 14k in Indian Rupees and thats very expensive , So should I stick to the lower priced version and would they be same as the 200 ?   MEMBERS CAN IGNORE THIS QUESTION AS I THINK IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED BUT I HAVE LOST THAT POST. BUT WOULD APPRECIATE IF THEY CAN ANSWER IT AGAIN.

FSX Scenery ?

Will I be able to use NL2000 (FSX Version) directly or I need a convert ?

Vatsim ?

I fly only on Vatsim , so is FSInn compatible with P3d V2 ?

One important question - my sig rig in which the CPU has changed to FX 6300 and everything else is same , my mobo has gone for replacement hence I awaiting it from Gigabyte since almost 20 days and they are still saying the replacement has not arrived, So will the GPU  HD 7750 2GB be enough to run it mid-sets ? Honestly my budget is tight so a replacement GPU is not possible atm though  I have my eyes set on the R7 260x 2GB.

Has anyone who has purchased P3d V2 needed to do the tweaks like in fsx ?

THANKS.

APOLOGIZE IF THE QUESTIONS HAVE ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I'll answer a two:

1. Get P3D v2 - 'Academic' is the best priced if you don't mind the water mark in the upper right corner. There's a 60 day money back guarantee should you not like your purchase.

2. There is no tweaking of config files like you had to do with FSX, no overclocking your CPU, and any other crazy adjustments FSX needed. All that's needed is adjusting the in sim menu settings to what your computer can handle.

People are reporting a few bugs here and there but we have pinned threads that cover that and a patch is forthcoming.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'll answer a two:

1. Get P3D v2 - 'Academic' is the best priced if you don't mind the water mark in the upper right corner. There's a 60 day money back guarantee should you not like your purchase.

2. There is no tweaking of config files like you had to do with FSX, no overclocking your CPU, and any other crazy adjustments FSX needed. All that's needed is adjusting the in sim menu settings to what your computer can handle.

People are reporting a few bugs here and there but we have pinned threads that cover that and a patch is forthcoming.

Hey Dillon,.

Thanks for the reply, water mark is ok , but will it be same the 200$ or is the water mark the only difference.

Ah no tweaking thats a relief.

Note that you do have the option of tweaking some things in the config file, if you so choose, but it's not in any way required to obtain acceptable performance like it is in FSX.  P3Dv2 performs reasonably well on computers that meet the "recommended" hardware list and very well on computers that exceed those specs, simply through adjusting the Setup menu options appropriately.

The Academic and Professional software are exactly the same, other than the watermark for the Academic version.  Just look at the license options on the LM website and purchase the license that's appropriate for your usage.

It seems like many experienced FSX users have spent days experimenting and tweaking various effects in order to get the best out of their new P3D.  The amount of tweaking and tuning seems to be directly proportional to how much the simmer wishes to get out of their hardware and how many of the new goodies they expect to be able to take advantage of, and depending on what addons they wish to incorporate at this time.  It still remains to be seen what amount of optimization is going to be required when we start getting real heavy hitting complex aircraft or other outside components down the line that push anyone's given machine. 

I'm afraid that tweaking will probably be just as common in P3D as it was in FSX. They even recommend some tweaks to the .cfg in the "Learning Center" section of the program listing. The tweaks make a significant difference for me. I'm sure more tweaks will be added as users experiment.

Technically if you are not a high school student or below you should buy the $200 version. There is, however, no difference between the two versions except the watermark. Many people buy the less expensive version even though they don't technically qualify.

I don't own that scenery, but almost all of my existing scenery works fine just by pointing the P3D Scenery Library to the place where the scenery was installed for FSX. Very simple.

- Bill Magann

I'm more than happy that I at least get to keep my P3Dv2 as "virgin" as possible. This is necessary for me as a developer because I need to insure the projects I'm working on are being tested in a 'clean' environment without any artificial "aids" being used...

...'cause it sure saves me a lot of headache! :LMAO:

Technically if you are not a high school student or below...

Nope!

undergraduate college level and below (students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I stand corrected!

As a married man I am used to being wrong...

- Bill Magann

Technically if you are not a high school student or below you should buy the $200 version. There is, however, no difference between the two versions except the watermark. Many people buy the less expensive version even though they don't technically qualify.

I am a married man :)

Thanks for all the info EVERYONE , I am going for the academic version.

Looks like no one is using vatsim ?

...'cause it sure saves me a lot of headache! :LMAO:

Yes, I also notice that keeping P3D clean is the best thing to do. Unfortunately it's all a bit too basic (read: boring) without addons...

It still remains to be seen what amount of optimization is going to be required when we start getting real heavy hitting complex aircraft or other outside components down the line that push anyone's given machine. 

Well such is the path of progress which, by the way, has been unchanged since the first ever flight simulator. The big BIG plus is that P3D is still being developed and we will all have to wait and see just what is around the corner and how best we can utilise that.

Why not look through the LM forum and make up your own mind. You can get an idea of what is working and what is not and if your computer is good enough to run V2.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/

That's a very fair comment, but is does have one downside - the potential to give the wrong impression should you not read, whilst keeping an open mind (which many do). Consider the number of posts both here and on the P3D forum from some (quite vocal) users, who immediately jumped up and down about incompatibilities with some of their previous addons. This started within a couple of hours of the P3D product being released. Negativity can take over so easy today, that is the world we now live in.

It was exactly the same with the change from FS9 to FSX. People need to learn to either 1. Not hit the buy now button immediately or 2. If they do, accept it is going to take a little patience and time to get all (or some of) their previous purchases to work on a different platform. After all, the third party developers only have 24 hours or less in the day. 

Thank you all, my only regret is FSInn and without that I don't usually fly. So I shall wait a couple of weeks before purchasing else I am all for XPX. I shall be posting on the vatsim forum if there is a way to make FSInn work with P3d V2.

Got to say bye to FSX after i get P3d V2 , enjoyed FSX though with a lot of hiccups but she was fun.

Thank you all, my only regret is FSInn and without that I don't usually fly. So I shall wait a couple of weeks before purchasing else I am all for XPX. I shall be posting on the vatsim forum if there is a way to make FSInn work with P3d V2.

Got to say bye to FSX after i get P3d V2 , enjoyed FSX though with a lot of hiccups but she was fun.

Install FSINN again with Estonia Migration Tool turned on, run P3Dv2 using legacy mode.

Fsinn works fine.