Sign in to follow this  
Lars Peter

SAS MD80 series era is over

The distinctive Maddog is sadly missed from the London skyline also. :(

…….which reminds me when was the last time I virtually flew one? :unsure:

What did they replace them with? I've never quite understood buying a new $100,000,000 jet to save a couple thousand an hour on fuel.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

What did they replace them with? I've never quite understood buying a new $100,000,000 jet to save a couple thousand an hour on fuel.

Its not just that, the older the aircraft, the more expensive the maintenance. C checks, D checks, ageing aircraft procedures and checks, airframe modifications, etc. To the point where it becomes decidedly not cost productive.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Yep, the airlines have teams of bean counters who are always looking to squeeze the most revenue out of their equipment, and there comes a time where they run a cost benefit analysis and can conclusively determine that they are better off replacing the old with new.    Now that the airlines can consistently report profits following the aftermath of 9/11 and the financial crisis, we are seeing lots of new purchases lately.   For example, look at Air Canada, they are replacing their narrowbody Airbuses with the Boeing 737 Max. 

All this fleet replacement activity is proof positive that the world's airlines are on the comeback trail, and even with fluctuating oil prices, they are insulated to a certain extent from their biggest cost with record revenues from ancillary fees and the ability to raise ticket prices. 

Old but superb aircraft, is for that reason it was on sale till last 8th december :)

I purchased it, big and great Maddog!

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Few airlines buy their planes outright - most are leased, reducing capital costs.  Gas adds up quickly as does reduced maintenance.   And old planes "time out" - they are designed for a certain number of landing and take off cycles. 

Hello.

A Group of MD80 enthusiasts (From the UK I belive) hired one of the last planes for a long around trip, Norway-Sweden-Denmark to take goodbye with this aircraft.

A nice special video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4tYv7xtXU

The ever last Takeoff from the cocpit can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFwe-lrwHc

And Landing Oslo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5uYisvCZmk

As I have read, the SAS MD80 will be replaced with Airbus 320.

Lars Peter.

So we end up with 737NGX's, some 747's and 777's. Add some A321,330's and thats it.

No more diversity, unity, boring skies.

I wonder what the plane spotters will see in a couple of years.. all pictures of them look the same.

Yes Johan..

You are right on the nail.

We have seen the same thing with Car design.

The Spesial Car design from the 1960-70s has wanished, replaced by boring design  cars all over.

Aircraft in the future will be the same thing, ugly designs to resolve cost at all price, just to bring a passenger from point A to B.

Lars Peter.

I live a part of London where one not only gets a great view of LHR Rwy 27R approaches but Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley etc are a dime a dozen.

If you want to really pull the crowds you need something like my neighbour/mate's MG.  :wub:

photo-5_zps3a3f5f9d.jpg