Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

REX4 Textures

Hi,

Yes I've installed FSX and P3D in default folder (Program file (x86)). But I must run the addons in administrator mode.

REX3 and REX4 are installed in different folders at the root of the drive C.

Yes I've reworked the color (more dark and green)  of water in REX3 solftware and copy in P3D v2.

820169YAFSS591Copie.jpg

No, I've don't change the effect scale. The scale depends of wind speed.

• Upvote 1

Aimé
My Youtube channel

Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit / MS-7917 / 16384MB RAM / ATI Radeon RX590 8GB Vram / SyncMaster B2430L / SyncMaster 2333SW / LG ULTRAWIDE / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / Yüsmart JT198x7-1 / Flight Yoke System / Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel + Trottle quadran / Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals / Trackir5

I just installed FTX Global from ORBX yesterday. I like what I see so far. Do I want REX4? IF so why? What I don't understand is the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Bill

I just installed FTX Global from ORBX yesterday. I like what I see so far. Do I want REX4? IF so why? What I don't understand is the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Bill

FTX Global replaces default ground textures. REX4 replaces default textures for clouds, skies (dawn, day, dusk), water (color and animation), runways, taxiways, sun, lightning, etc. So they complement each other and have nothing in coming other than that they upgrade your sim!

Another difference is that while FTX Global replaces your textures with one new set, REX4 offers you thousands of textures you can pick yourself in any combination you want. And you can also choose to NOT replace a certain texture, so if you like the current skies, simply don't install REX skies.

I think you can say that both FTXG as REX are THE addons to get if you want to upgrade the graphics of the sim on a global scale.

No, I've don't change the effect scale. The scale depends of wind speed.

If this was a reply to me question: I didn't mean to ask you if you scaled it or something like that, but in the sim you usually get the same waves and look of water on oceans as you get in for instance small creeks, which looks quite odd. I wondered how those great waves from the video translate to small creeks: will the waves be just as big over there? I always find it odd to fly high and to actually SEE huge waves in rivers down below...

Here REX4 Kinematic wave in P3Dv2.

Those are the best wave images I've seen in P3d2 so far.

Was there any specific reason that you used 32 bit textures rather than the compressed versions? I personally haven't seen any performance difference between the two types of textures with REX 4 and P3d2, despite the fact that REX recommends using compressed textures. The nVidia compression algorithms reduce file sizes (and hence the memory footprint of the texture maps), but in turn, the file needs to be decompressed on the fly and that has to use at least some additional GPU computational resources. The compressed textures are supposedly more versatile, since they work efficiently on a variety of GPUs regardless of the amount of onboard video RAM.

In case anyone is interested, here  is more than you ever wanted to know about DXn texture compression (now referred to as BCn):

http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/2012/02/12/understanding-bcn-texture-compression-formats/

How can I get the airport grass textures. I tried installing them in P3Dv2 but dont see anything like the screenshots in the airports?

Tried it with both 1024 and 4096 texture settings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How can I get the airport grass textures. I tried installing them in P3Dv2 but dont see anything like the screenshots in the airports?

Tried it with both 1024 and 4096 texture settings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed that in P3Dv2 the "detail1.bmp" file (used to display particular grass) was less visible than in FSX. I know because I have tested my addon "Picnic".

Aimé
My Youtube channel

Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit / MS-7917 / 16384MB RAM / ATI Radeon RX590 8GB Vram / SyncMaster B2430L / SyncMaster 2333SW / LG ULTRAWIDE / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / Yüsmart JT198x7-1 / Flight Yoke System / Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel + Trottle quadran / Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals / Trackir5

Hi Lec,

Thanks for the response, but I don't think I follow. So in REX 4 , there is an option to install the grass textures for airports. I've gone through installing them but don't see it when I go into P3Dv2.

Hi Lec,

Thanks for the response, but I don't think I follow. So in REX 4 , there is an option to install the grass textures for airports. I've gone through installing them but don't see it when I go into P3Dv2.

The grass texture used in REX4 is not a specific texture for airfield. This is a generic texture used throughout to add detail to the ground textures. (Normal or photorealistic textures)

The name of the file is "detail1.bmp" and you can find it in the subfolder of REX4. (path: C:\REX Texture Direct\textures\Airport\Terrain_Bumpmap\02\Base or 03\Base)

This texture appears in transparency under the surface to detail. In P3Dv2, transparency is less visible and the texture detail more tenuous than in FSX.

To be sure, install it yourself manually the texture "detail1.bmp" in the folder "Prepar3d v2\Scenery\World\Texture"

Aimé
My Youtube channel

Simply pay the 5 dollar fee

Where si this 5$ fee for p3d? I dont find it on REX site?

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Where si this 5$ fee for p3d? I dont find it on REX site?

This is for REX 3 only: on one of the tabs within REX, I think it's the Configuration manager, you will see an option to enable P3D. You have to click on a button which leads you to a site in your browser where you can pay that 5 dollar fee after which the option is unlocked in REX 3. After that you have to point REX 3 to the location of P3D (in the same spot as where you point to FSX).

I unfortunately did this a day before REX 4 was announced and I have only used that option once: I don't even have REX 3 installed anymore.

I went ahead and made the purchase and am glad I did. The easy, fast texture injection process adds a whole new dimension to my flights. I love being able to check the weather and load weather texture sets in seconds. I rarely changed REX Essentials textures because it was such a pain, but REX 4 makes it SO easy. 

The grass texture used in REX4 is not a specific texture for airfield. This is a generic texture used throughout to add detail to the ground textures. (Normal or photorealistic textures)

The name of the file is "detail1.bmp" and you can find it in the subfolder of REX4. (path: C:\REX Texture Direct\textures\Airport\Terrain_Bumpmap\02\Base or 03\Base)

This texture appears in transparency under the surface to detail. In P3Dv2, transparency is less visible and the texture detail more tenuous than in FSX.

To be sure, install it yourself manually the texture "detail1.bmp" in the folder "Prepar3d v2\Scenery\World\Texture"

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I made a copy of the file into my P3d folder. Too bad it doesn't look anything like the screenshot in the REX configuration screen.

Wow! Just tested a short test flight around ENGH (bad weather) and it's...lovely! It's perfect! In combination with ASN (wow with the turbulence). What a beautiful FSX now! All settings to max!

Only having the flashes in DX10.

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

This is for REX 3 only: on one of the tabs within REX.

Ok thanks, I had a look and i'm a couple of service pack benind on REX. I will decide if I upgrade to Rex3 or switch to Rex4 right away....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...