Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

REX4 Textures

I went ahead and made the purchase and am glad I did. The easy, fast texture injection process adds a whole new dimension to my flights. I love being able to check the weather and load weather texture sets in seconds. I rarely changed REX Essentials textures because it was such a pain, but REX 4 makes it SO easy. 

Hey Mark,

Can you speak to if REX4 textures get rid of the very visible (and unrealistic) starlight reflections I'm seeing off of ocean water in the default P3DV2 water textures?  This alone could do it for me!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hey Mark,

Can you speak to if REX4 textures get rid of the very visible (and unrealistic) starlight reflections I'm seeing off of ocean water in the default P3DV2 water textures?  This alone could do it for me!

Sorry, not sure about that. I don't do much night flying. Maybe someone else can comment.

Sorry, not sure about that. I don't do much night flying. Maybe someone else can comment.

Dawn/dusk brings this out too.  Are you using P3DV2?  If you have a moment fire a quick flight up anywhere along the California coast (KSBA is my old home town) as an early dawn/late dusk and you will see it immediately--you will see starlight reflecting brightly on the water (keep volumetric fog off just in case).  As soon as I land at KBIH (OMG what a lovely dawn flight in V2!!) I will go back and grab a screenshot.  It's such a glaring problem it's impossible to miss and as I say if REX4 solves this one I might go for it now!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Don't worry, you'll get 5 bucks x 100 out of the 'eye candy pleasure factor'.  I think that you are seeing that... :) 

If you take a cruise around islands of the Carib...you will also now notice that as the waves off shore head towards, let's say a bay...that the water as you get nearer, will start to calm down (as it would with real wave compression) and soon, you will have gently rolling water, to none.  Great effect, via multiple water textures mapped and in play.  I really appreciated that...for island hopping realism. 

You are referring to REX4 in FSX correct?

Noel

I have FS Global and REX 4 I just flew from MYNN Nassau in both FSX and P3D v2. I can say he must be talking about FSX. Because both water color and wave action was much better in FSX. I have read many are not satisfied with water in P3D. But this is the first time I compared the two. I hope LM addresses the water issue.

Bill 

Very interesting thread

One question I have before taking the plunge is on fps in fsx specifically.Have users found any hit using Rex 4 ?

I currently use Rex E +OD and Opus for Weather so if There's an improvement in fps then I rhink that would seal the deal

Thanks

Pete

Pete Little

Pete,

In my test above I found that my frame rates were higher in FSX. But still good in P3D.

Bill

I got around to installed REX4 and the textures.. 

Here is round1:

My old settings with REX3 (Essentials + OD) 

REX3:

-2048 textures, dxt5, dxt1 etc

REX4:

-same

The differences could be due to cloud selection in the themes being different.. i may redo the comparison and try to select matching themes as best as I can or try 4096 textures.. though even the roads dont look quite as good.  Hoping it was some minor difference between versions.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Looks different, but not better really.

Noel

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC QUESTION ABOUT "DELETE" OPTIONS AND EFFECTS IN REX4 TEXTURES

I have a few questions about what happens when you delete a texture or theme…I have read the manual and if I missed the answer, I apologize… my questions are:

1. If I install a texture, is there any way to delete it?....what happens in the sim when a texture is deleted?....what replaces it?...does it revert to the old default sim texture?...can the deleted texture be installed again?;
  2. What happens in the sim and REX4 when you delete a personally created theme?....what replaces it in the sim?....is the deleted theme still visible on the themes page so you can install it again?...or, is it gone and you have to reconstruct the theme?; and
  3. Same question as #3 above as regarding  community themes?...

Any help appreciated…thanks, John M. Helms, Houston, TX

Hi all,

I received REX4 (2 disks) and attempted to install it. But on the 1st disk, about 3/4 way, I got a box that popped up saying, " Source file not found: D:\rexte3.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

I checked on the disk, and that file was not on it. It did have rexte1 and 2, but not the 3rd? I tried to get on the REX4 site and even though I'm logged in, it said I didn't have permission?

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks, Larry

Isn't it on the 2nd disk...? See what happens when you get that message and put the 2nd disk into the pc.

Another option might be to copy the content of both disks to a folder on your pc and run the installer from there.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC QUESTION ABOUT "DELETE" OPTIONS AND EFFECTS IN REX4 TEXTURES

I have a few questions about what happens when you delete a texture or theme…I have read the manual and if I missed the answer, I apologize… my questions are:

1. If I install a texture, is there any way to delete it?....what happens in the sim when a texture is deleted?....what replaces it?...does it revert to the old default sim texture?...can the deleted texture be installed again?;
  2. What happens in the sim and REX4 when you delete a personally created theme?....what replaces it in the sim?....is the deleted theme still visible on the themes page so you can install it again?...or, is it gone and you have to reconstruct the theme?; and
  3. Same question as #3 above as regarding  community themes?...

Any help appreciated…thanks, John M. Helms, Houston, TX

1. When you install a texture with REX 4, it replaces whatever texture was  in FSX/P3d previously. This is the reason that REX 4 has a backup function. If you wanted to be really careful, you would create a backup before any theme install. The backup contains all the REX 4 textures that could potentially be replaced, including any FSX/P3d textures that remain from the default installation. The first backup that you make (just after installing REX 4 but before installing any REX 4 textures) contains all the default FSX/P3d textures that potentially could be replaced in REX 4.
  2. Nothing happens, except that you can no longer install that theme. Deleting a theme has no impact on FSX or P3d.
  3. Same as 2..

For answers to the above that I got on the REX forum

see the following link...

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29154-delete-textures-and-themes-questions/

In light of those answers, it apperas once you wade off in

REX4 you are sort of in quicksand, hard to get back out unless

you do the complete backup....what I'm now thinking is to create

my own personal theme for basic fair weather flying consisting of

whatever REX textures I like...then save that as a "base" or

"default" that I can go back to for everyday use....then, experimnet

with other themes as I like....but hopefully being able to return to 

my default for everyday flying...

In light of those answers, it apperas once you wade off in

REX4 you are sort of in quicksand, hard to get back out unless

you do the complete backup....

In what way is it "quicksand"?  REX4 is no different than REXE+Overdrive in this regard.  Default textures should be backed up first in case you ever want/need to go back to defaults, and the product makes that process easy.  Otherwise, you can always move back and forth between any REX4 texture sets quickly and easily.

I think you may be confusing themes (which are custom selections of texture sets) with the actual textures themselves.  Deleting a theme doesn't delete any of the textures which were used by the theme.

Scott