Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Razbam Metroliner Released

Thanks for the link Jim. I tried what Ed recommended but it didn't work for me. Wolter at Orbx also had a suggestion but it also failed. Something is really out of order in my system and files are getting misplaced. Maybe I should go to work for Goldman Sachs. 

I am asking Orbx if I can just reload a region and a library update to get a fresh install of FTX Central. If that works I'll tell the world. 

good flights, Cal

Hello,

I have finally been able to get to the cause of my problems. It was my root FSX registry. I will not be surprised if something shows up later but for now I have a restored FTX Central and it was fixed using the Windows regedit registry repair tool. I was coached through the process by an Orbx forum member and was able to redesignate my FSX root. It is still a mystery how the scrambled files happened but I think I have my fully functioning fligh sim back.

Thank you again to Jim and all who replied to my questions and offered help. It was frustrating but I hope others can be helped by the information you shared and my successful outcome.

good flights, Cal

Since the Metroliner is on sale now and people start talking about it  again (and the sometimes occurring engine startup hiccups):

New revision of my mods is online.
This time, I've finally addressed the mixture-related bug that prevented engine startup in most, if not all, cases.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xi ... sp=sharing

Upgrade:
Replace "RM3_Custom_BK.xml" in "Metro_Mods"

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Indeed, with it on sale again, I'm on the fence....again.  I'm reading the general consensus is that it's....flyable but not perfect with a lot of community-tweaks needed.  Just can't get over seeing some of the previous reviews and opinions in this thread.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I just opened the link and the price quoted for the FSX/P3D bundle is $30.00. Posting this FYI.

Jim D.

OUCH!!! Just realized that this thread originated some time ago. My previous response was in regard to the original price a year or so ago. Pays to look at the posting date before jumping in.

Jim D.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed in this thread. I was interrested in the Metroliner because of the sale, but if tweaking is needed even at this point in time I will not support this developer. They should have had plenty of time to sort everything out by now.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It really is a truly great turbo prop.   The tweaks, all of which have been done by Bjoern, and are available on this thread, take 2 minutes to install.   Then you have a fantastic flying aircraft, with half decent systems, a beautiful VC and good performance.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed in this thread. I was interrested in the Metroliner because of the sale, but if tweaking is needed even at this point in time I will not support this developer. They should have had plenty of time to sort everything out by now.

Agree 100%

ZORAN

Indeed, with it on sale again, I'm on the fence....again.  I'm reading the general consensus is that it's....flyable but not perfect with a lot of community-tweaks needed.  Just can't get over seeing some of the previous reviews and opinions in this thread.

heres my first impressions of it and personally i wouldnt get it that could have been money towards flight1 b200 or pmdg j41

heres link

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455208-razbam-metro-3-first-impressions/

My review in another forum from back when I bought it (and before modding it):

"Forgive me, lord of freeware (i.e. me, huehuehuehuehue) for I have sinned.

The RAZBAM Metroliner was on sale for $20. And I bought it. icon_redface.gif

I'm still a bit on the fence on how I feel about it though. From a logical standpoint, for the 14.5€ I've spent, it wasn't a bad purchase, especially considering that it's only a very small reimbursement for the amount of work contained in that rendition of the "San Antonio sewer pipe".
But I never could warrant spending the regular price on it. The visual model is top notch, the cockpit is complete, the sounds are okay and the FDE is great. Systems-wise, however, you can click all the switches and pull the circuit breakers and get visual feedback but only a small fraction actually influences the underlying MSFS systems simulation. On the other hand, SP1 brought stuff like start locks, overtemp and overtorque with it, which shows that deciding not to do too much systems related stuff was subject to time, availability and mass appeal constraints and not deliberate negligience.
Sure, broken down on "€ per man-hour" of work invested, this is still cheaper than most of the stuff you can buy in the real world, but if you can get 80% of the featureset, polycount, texture detail, clickable switches, FDE accuracy and the same amount of systems modeling for free, 50€ is grossly overpriced.

There is, however, another thing about this model that is buried beneath the "end-user" level: It's honest. No activation BS, no C++-coded .gau or .dll gauges, one effect file, one .dll for the interaction between payload manager and FSX, two gauges and everything runs in the confines of FSX. Nothing else.
The extra .dll is a bit of a tripwire as it requires an entry in the dll.xml and a correctly working path to make the payload manager work as intended, but other than that, nada.
And XML gauges are always editable. And switch code can be read out by ModelConverterX. Which means that anyone can enhance systems modeling as long as there is a bit of knowledge in XML scripting and the systems of the Metro. And, time permitting, I'm going to do just that (here and there).

So considering this, I did not buy an airplane, but a nice turboprop-powered systems modeling experimentation lab. For 14.5€ I think can definitely live with that.

I won't go to freeware heaven anytime soon though."

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I think that Razbam did a decent job of the metro.

I am training to be a FO on the metro and id say Razbams product is pretty close to the real thing. They modelled all the systems fairly accurately. The cockpit layout is realistic, it handles decently. A tad slow after rotation but the metro isnt a very agile plane and has to be flown with a lot of trim. I cant speak much for the autopilot and GPS and the company i fly for doesnt have either in their metros.... 

Overall razbam did a fairly accurate model of the metro. I think its a notch above the Carenado product line so that is always a plus.