Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

REX Texture Direct - Has the Jury Returned a Verdict?

Hi everyone,

I just bought REX4, but I can't find an option for installing textures from a flight plan, not just from an airport code. Is there any way to do this ?

thanks.

Once you pick your textures etc  you need to save it  first or else it  will only load the previous textures you have selected

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So far my biggest gripe is no way to change the blue water, its way too blue. The option to add some green would be great.

Agree with JasonW, don´t like this totally unrealistic blue, really hurts the eyes. 

Guess it´s always "2 steps forwards and 1 back" with new things from REX?

How is it unrealistic ,  and how does it  hurt the eyes , does the water come thru the screen  and the salt water irritates your eyes.  :P  if  it  does than its realistic isn't  it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Still confused: Is REX4 a "replacement" or an "upgrade" to REX Essential Overdrive? Is it a stand-alone software, or does it require REX Essential Overdrive? It seems that REX Game Studios is unbundling the older REX Essential Overdrive into separate packages of REX4 Texture HD and the upcoming REX Weather HD. With both of these newer software, will REX Essential Overdrive be obsolete?

Elmo

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

How fast does it load the textures? Is it pretty much instant or does it show a status bar for a long while? I'm considering getting it possibly today.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Loading is instant, and that´s a positive, not all negative about it...

@era66: It´s a standalone product, textures only, there will be a weather engine later AFAIK.

Then again, like you mention: "It seems that REX Game Studios is unbundling the older REX Essential Overdrive into separate packages of REX4 Texture HD and the upcoming REX Weather HD"

That´s exactly my thought too!

New and clever business model maybe..?

I have REX OD, I use it for textures & Weather.  if I was to buy this,  can i still use OD for the weather  and if so how do i do this? 

Eg would I launch  REX 4 install textures

Launch REX OD  then click fly now?

Confused   (easily done)

Regards

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

My opinion after a month or so of use...

The first thing you notice is there aren't the same number of texture set options as there were in REXE+OD. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'll explain why in a minute. The next thing you notice is how quick it installs the textures now - much, much faster than previous versions.

As has been mentioned above, the water/sea texture options are all various shades of blue which doesn't look right in many parts of the world and under certain weather conditions. It would be nice if we could have some more options that were perhaps grey or green.

The textures themselves are very good. My feeling about many of the textures in REXE+OD was that they were too much over the top and didn't look natural in the sim. Even though REXE+OD had a mind boggling combination of texture sets, relatively few of them actually looked right in the sim. These new textures are much more subtle and natural looking to my eyes at least. Big improvement here and big thumbs up from me.

I have REX OD, I use it for textures & Weather.  if I was to buy this,  can i still use OD for the weather  and if so how do i do this? 

Eg would I launch  REX 4 install textures

Launch REX OD  then click fly now?

Confused   (easily done)

Regards

Steve

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28858-how-to-use-rex4-td-textures-and-rex-essentialsplusod-as-your-weather-engine/

Peter kelberg

These new textures are much more subtle and natural looking to my eyes at least. Big improvement here and big thumbs up from me.

I think that's the bottom line for me as well.  My initial reaction was "huh - nice, but not earth-shatteringly different from REX-E", but over time and after flying in different conditions, I'd say pretty much the same thing.  Things just look and feel more natural, particularly skies.  I've found myself pretty much addicted to dusk and dawn flying of late, as the somewhat over-the-top dusk and dawn skies I'd previously used have been replaced with more natural hues and tones.

Scott

If you are DX10 user, the REX4 water animation are far superior to anything in REXE.  Most of these animations have the wind sensitive white caps, and the DTX1 compression looks great (if you are not too close).  With a few of these animation you can use their 32 bit version without tanking fps; I use these for really low and slow flying over water since the DTX1 'grain' is most apparent at very low altitudes (~1000').  I too find that their sky textures are far superior; they got the sky's associated ambient lighting right too (which IMO REXE didn't so I abandoned using its sky textures a while ago).  Overall I'm VERY happy with REX4.  If you visit their general discussion site I posted suggestions there for a few user interface improvements which I hope they'll incorporate.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)