Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

FTX: Global VECTOR Released

We are now in 2013, close to 2014, what have you been doing the last 29 years?

Really, I respect your experience...

Well, thanks for the respect!  What I've been doing for the past 29 years is gathering the experience you say you respect... among other things I've been doing...  B)

Interesting opinions here this far, definitely poses food for thought. As per usual, the community quickly polarizes one way or the other...

I'm still cautiously excited for this vector product; there's a lot of places I'd like explore where the default coastlines are simply unacceptable and virtually anything would be an improvement. I also have faith that the product will continue to be improved and refined. I'm also unconcerned about mesh issues; we've had various elevation issues with addons for years - there's plenty of methods to work around issues that come up, should they not get fixed promptly enough.

My primary concern at this point is purely to do with the lack of fine-grained control over layers and activation. I would prefer some level of control over major / minor roads so as to have a way to deal with autogen reduction, or, as others have suggested, being able to turn roads off altogether and just using the vector data for coastlines and such.

Also, as was pointed out, the whole UTX vs FTX Vector argument becomes pointless when considering P3Dv2, which in having both platforms, becomes a major selling point for me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

...but not your opinion on mesh, this is a must have IMO.

- and landclass too, and UTX, and, and, you know the drill, right?

I do indeed know the drill, and have all the rest - landclass (several, actually), and UTX...  but no add-on mesh for FSX.  Which, honestly, is not that exotic an approach.  However, we get to have different opinions and I'm glad you're having good add-on mesh experiences.  I'll be happy to consider it for Vector if I wind up adding Vector to P3D2.

Enjoy!

EDIT: meant these responses to be all in one post, but Jim was quicker on the draw.  Am hoping you get my intent... which was the very nub of my gist...

That is quite dissapointing, I agree.

But you got one thing wrong - vector data (Global Vector) doesn't cover cities, towns and villages, only coastlines, rivers, lakes, forsts and roads. UTX covers both Landclass and Vector data.

Correction... UTX covers Urban Landclass. Not Landclass in general. As in it repositions cities and towns more accurately. With FTX, you have to wait for OpenLC.

To see how that looks... and i mean global with vector and landclass.... you can download the free Iceland Demo.

C.

Some of you ladies/gents are funny, sometimes I don't think you know how to enjoy something for what it is.

Anyway, Vector is working very well for me ... I now have frozen lakes in Minnesota that were flowing before.  Roads do seem to have a purpose now.  Enjoying the product.

Working great here as well! If a building in some road or a building over a river once in a while causes you so much consternation, I'm afraid you are in the wrong hobby.

I uninstalled UTX and went for ORBX Vector because it's world-wide and I'm currently enjoying accurate cost lines, roads and rivers in Malaysia! 

Love it!

I uninstalled UTX and went for ORBX Vector because it's world-wide and I'm currently enjoying accurate cost lines, roads and rivers in Malaysia!

Well, it is a payware product after all!

I do indeed know the drill, and have all the rest - landclass (several, actually), and UTX...  but no add-on mesh for FSX.  Which, honestly, is not that exotic an approach.  However, we get to have different opinions and I'm glad you're having good add-on mesh experiences.  I'll be happy to consider it for Vector if I wind up adding Vector to P3D2.

Enjoy!

EDIT: meant these responses to be all in one post, but Jim was quicker on the draw.  Am hoping you get my intent... which was the very nub of my gist...

I also don't use any mesh, since 1) Orbx Regions come with their own mesh and 2) it take up alot of room on an SSD.

@ wilailuk :  If you don't like his posts, then why not just block him?  I happen to like his posts, information, and enthusiasm so I don't think you speak for ALL of the 100K simmers out there.

Oh, I get that.  But since P3D2 default mesh is basically the same as FSX default mesh, the same issues probably apply.  So I'd like to find out if I need to add third party mesh.  Also, the lack of an uninstaller makes me hesitate.  Finally, I'm keeping FTX Global off my install 'til LM comes up for a fix with the "white box" issue (FTX Global lights activated in daytime by the haze layer when volumetric fog is off).  P3D2 needs work right now, and until version 2.05 (now in the works) I'm keeping my install virgin.  Maybe some of the Vector issues will be addressed by then, maybe not.  But I'll make a decision later on.  For now, no FTX in my P3D, and Global plus UTX works fine in my FSX.  So that's it for me for the moment.

I see everything outside of DX9 FSX still BETA. P3D and Vector need alot of work. But it sure is fun to play with and test. FSX DX9 is still the most complete and polished platform. I know thats obvious but worth stating. I do all my serious flights in FSX DX9 in ORBX full regions. P3D and global+vector are just fun to goof around in now and then. They both need another year IMO.

deleted - I like Saint-Exupery!

Many thanks - and it's always good to have Saint-Ex in common!

Side note - if Bryan York ever decides to add him to FS2Crew, I'd be open.

And now, back to the vector thread...

I'm looking forward to Vector. I'm interested in eliminating UTX and consolidating textures, vectors, and eventually LC into one solid application, instead of multiple applications spread out all over the place. Orbx is in it for the long haul particularly where P3D is concerned, so no harm done investing in there future imo.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I happen to like his posts, information, and enthusiasm

I appreciate the support... but appreciate also that wiliailuk is willing to de-escalate.  So am I.  Thanks to all!

I see everything outside of DX9 FSX still BETA. P3D and Vector need alot of work. But it sure is fun to play with and test. FSX DX9 is still the most complete and polished platform. I know thats obvious but worth stating. I do all my serious flights in FSX DX9 in ORBX full regions. P3D and global+vector are just fun to goof around in now and then. They both need another year IMO.

Agree completely.  I was hoping that P3D2 would be more complete out of the box, but that probably wasn't a realistic hope.  I'm trying to lean on FSX DX9 as my main sim, but every time I think about how well P3D2 performs in major northeastern US cities, I feel the pull...  I think you're right about the timeline - about a year 'til all the P3D2 and Orbx pieces are in place.  

Just wait, it´s tiresome, it´s a waste of time, it´s called OCD, Google it...

You might better use the Ignore option this forum offers because I don't plan on stopping to share my experiences. ^_^ To me it's totally part of the hobby, it really is. I might not even fly virtually anymore if I couldn't talk about it on various forums. And I know I can be er... very excited about some things (positive or negative) and well, that's just me. If you don't like it: ignore! ^_^

I also use default FSX mesh. Used FS Genesis for FS9 but got tired of the airport plateau issues, and found default FSX mesh good enough for my purposes. I guess you'll have to lump me in with those who aren't "on top of everything." But you know, after 27 years of simming it gets hard to keep up the pace. Maybe you can cut us old guys a little slack!

Was interested in Vector for P3D2 (am not adding to my FSX installation right now), but I'm inclined to wait 'til I see where all the moving parts land. So I'll follow the updates here and otherwise stand by.

My point exactly. (I've been flying on computers since 1987 so that's also 27 years within a few days! ^_^ ) I was also looking at Vector as a replacement for UTX because I run P3D 2.0. If I was running FSX I'd probably stick with UTX. Now I've got to look elsewhere. But as I said somewhere else (I think... I post so often that I lose track of all my ramblings... Just kidding!) I think I will stick to FTX regions. They are superior to FTX Global even with Vector and OpenLS anyway.

And btw: I was mistaken when I said that Vector might screw up my sim that uses default mesh: I do enjoy addon mesh! I should have said that Vector might screw up my current freeware mesh. I've been flying in FTX regions for YEARS now and they all have their own mesh. And after moving over to Norway I installed freeware mesh for it. (Did I already tell you there is some great Norway freeware out there...? :rolleyes: Just kidding again!). And recently new freeware mesh has been released that's of a lot higher res than what FS Global offers so... it seems rather logical to me that I don't NEED any other mesh. Why replace something I already have with something that's worse than that? 

EDIT

And btw also: you posted that I "seem to be on top of everything", I'm really not. And I never pretended to be. There is a lot about flying and simming I know absolutely nothing about. I am just a simple virtual GA pilot who is trying to have some fun and help others along the way. That's it, really. So sorry when I am bothering you: it was never my intention to bother anyone. And just to be sure: the suggestion to use the Ignore option was a serious suggestion, not a sarcastic one.

I like Jaroen's posts! Keep it up buddy!:smile:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Thanks, J van E for being "on top" - at least in the kind and gentle way you answered my usual hard ways to speak here, don´t know why, too excited about it all maybe?

I just do not  understand why YOUR fascination with a tiny, tiny part of the world named Norway, should be so important that we all have to go fly there? Could be too crowded, eh?

:P