Sign in to follow this  
deetee

Oculus Rift compatibilty announced

And obviously, this is just for one aspect (albeit an important one) of what I personally consider to be foundational aspects of flight, ...
How do cloud shadows, color saturation, etc. affect the flight of the aircraft?

with others as mentioned in my post yesterday
Can't seem to locate this post, can you provide a link?

Hi -

How do cloud shadows, color saturation, etc. affect the flight of the aircraft?

I didn't say they do. They are, however, fundamental to creating primary realism, and in the case of shadows, can provide important visual cues beyond atmospheric perspective, such as knowing whether you can successfully navigate around a cloud in VFR.

Can't seem to locate this post, can you provide a link?

Sure - maybe... :) don't quite remember which is was, but here's a thread - http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=70214

Hi -

I didn't say they do. They are, however, fundamental to creating primary realism, and in the case of shadows, can provide important visual cues beyond atmospheric perspective, such as knowing whether you can successfully navigate around a cloud in VFR.

So, if there are some things that don't have anything to do with flight physics that are very important, say things that help you feel like you are there, which you are implying, then rift integration is not a real problem then.

So... how are you going to work all those controls with the headset on?

Just feel around for levers and knobs? Hope to hit the right key?

I'm with Greg. There are a whole host of issues and improvements/additions that need to be made far beyond novelty features.

To paraphrase a few posts on the org:

Have you ever had trouble reaching for your mouse?   Have a think about it, when you type and take your hand away from the mouse and type again then go for the mouse are you constantly looking around for it?   Chances are not.  You and I know where our mouse is, it's a repetitive thing we do reaching for our mouse and you can do it blindfolded so there is one problem sorted.

In fact the major one because it's how we can interact with the virtual cockpit.   Second is most people only have a single joystick, then some have a separate joystick and throttle.   I have a thrustmaster warthog hotas.  I know where every button is without looking.

Add all that together and I won't have any problem and nor do I believe will most people need to have a problem.   Most people don't have real replica panels with 50 knobs they need to interact with.   

It's not such a big deal.

You say leave out the novelty features and then talk about cloud shadows instead.  The OR will give you a much greater sense of realism than a cloud shadow.

So, if there are some things that don't have anything to do with flight physics that are very important, say things that help you feel like you are there, which you are implying, then rift integration is not a real problem then.

It's not a problem so long as it doesn't interfere with Laminar's ability to address the deficiencies in the fundamental environment, and, certainly, bugs.

Maybe it doesn't.

Oculus has just been bought by Facebook ... interesting, very interesting ...

I'm really baffled by this. I'm wondering what Facebook intend to do with the device. One developer has already dropped any plans to support the device since reading this, which is a pity :/

Personally, I feel the time spent on OR integration might be better applied to issues which would benefit all X-Plane users, not just those who invest in the hardware. Conversely, if the time spent building in OR capabilities is small, then why not - it's another feather in the cap of X-Plane, bringing it in line with FSX and P3D (*or at least P3D v2.2, arriving in the next few weeks).

It's all about the amount of time being invested in OR and since that's Laminar Research internal information, we'll never really know...

-Greg

Oculus has just been bought by Facebook ... interesting, very interesting ...

I think you misspelled disappointing...

I do worry whether this is the beginning of the end of the gaming/simming communities' hopes for the Oculus Rift as we knew it. Don't get me wrong, usually I have faith in a company and expect a nice surprise; but Facebook? Give me strength...

I think you misspelled disappointing...

Absolutely agree, and I know I'm not alone in thinking this. I had high hopes for the oculus until I read the news this morning. If there is one thing I hate on the Internet, it's Facebook and Google+. It's everywhere, and I wish it would just disappear (but that's wishful thinking).

Just to add, there is still hope http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/valve-s-virtual-reality-headset-blows-oculus-rift-away--1215666

Personally, I feel the time spent on OR integration might be better applied to issues which would benefit all X-Plane users, not just those who invest in the hardware. Conversely, if the time spent building in OR capabilities is small, then why not - it's another feather in the cap of X-Plane, bringing it in line with FSX and P3D (*or at least P3D v2.2, arriving in the next few weeks).

It's all about the amount of time being invested in OR and since that's Laminar Research internal information, we'll never really know...

-Greg

I see your point but then I am reminded of times I voiced issues along the lines of when will ATC ever be done?  Often to get told it's not a feature that everyone uses..

In a big sim like this it's full of features that not everyone uses, even though those features are available to all.   So OR support falls in to that camp for me :)

I am not so worried about FB buying out Oculus.   I have a slight concern that I might be wasting time on a development project I am doing for the rift.   The concern that they lock it down and then want to charge developers for the privilege.  BTW, I dont have any concern about something like an OR marketplace like the applestore where you can sell a product there and they take a percentage.   I do have a concern that they would make you sell it there and there is no option.

That last concern wouldnt bother me in my circumstances but I can see it would certainly bother large development houses.

To me it doesn't make sense for them to close the system down.  Unlike the xbox, PS, iphone this is NOT the main platform, it's just a peripheral.  The pc is the platform and I cannot see them trying to change the landscape without their hardware being boycotted and that makes no sense to their investment.

I just invested in the V2 Occulus Rift,  I was pumped supporting an indy upstart who has made some pretty big waves with the technology.

Now Im just like meh,  I am going to still get it since it will work with X-Plane,  but I am a bit concerned for the future of the product..... If things don't work out I can just hand it over to my mother so she can play Farmville in 3d...