Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

So much speculation, so few facts.

All we know is it didn't make the intended destination. There are so many oddities and serious questions about what happened, and what did or did not occur in response, that all anyone is doing is feeding the media with unsubstantiated nonsense.

I haven't even read this thread because there is no point. Those who know aren't saying; those who don't have too much to say.

The aviation expert on CNN said it best: "Idle speculation is pointless. Wait for the conclusion of the investigation". I expect to be waiting several years for this one, if ever.

Best regards,

Robin.

Precisely !

But there are other scenarios which would explain the apparent inability to find this aircraft.

What is given out in press releases is not always the way things really are!

january

All we know is it didn't make the intended destination. There are so many oddities and serious questions about what happened, and what did or did not occur in response, that all anyone is doing is feeding the media with unsubstantiated nonsense.

I haven't even read this thread because there is no point. Those who know aren't saying; those who don't have too much to say.

The aviation expert on CNN said it best: "Idle speculation is pointless. Wait for the conclusion of the investigation". I expect to be waiting several years for this one, if ever.

Best regards,

Robin.

I love Rumsfeldisms.

@Kevin - I think you and the media are looking too deeply into the last transmission, that kind of casual talk happens a lot, at least in the mid east & Asia.

Still cant quote posts from some reason :/

I accept that can be the case. Still so many things that point to contradictory conclusions.

Best regards,

Robin.

Now, if only they would heed his words... alas, not. Their job is to keep the machine fed; by nature, any speculation, idle or not, is a potential sound byte. Worse, if they don't get it, someone else will.

Every aspect of this flight (and every 'theory' about it) has been tossed about, tumbled, spun and re-spun a dozen times over. 

Don't forget about the Passengers and their loved ones... their plight is rapidly becoming B-Roll material as the 'experts' get the limelight.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I'm amused when people refer to the discussion of the subject as pointless; I imagine the condescending voice of haughty British aristocracy. The irony is we we're discussing it on a flight simulator enthusiast web site; not much point in manipulating a bunch of pixels on a screen and pretending to fly a 737 from Atlanta to Las Vegas, either...unless you consider entertainment the point.

I don't think anyone is claiming to be a member of the NTSB, and I don't think anyone discussing theories lacks the intelligence to understand that it is just speculation, as is the discussion of many "unknowable" things that have happened throughout history. This discussion is no more pointless than many such topics of discussion that people find intersting. At the end of the day, like this hobby, the discussion is for entertainment purposes only.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Yes, we certainly don't know what we don't know.

At the end of the day, like this hobby, the discussion is for entertainment purposes only.

Man, that's not at all how I would characterize this discussion.  Not sure what the best term is, but for me that term is certainly not entertainment.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

News sites are showing him wearing a "democracy is dead T shirt" and 5 hours before the flight the leader of the opposition whom he apparently passionately supported goes to jail.

Add to this a pending divorce or perhaps a cancer diagnosis and you get the picture. As mentioned it does sound like there was a struggle in the cockpit

do you have a link to that news source?

Man, that's not at all how I would characterize this discussion. Not sure what the best term is, but for me that term is certainly not entertainment.

Entertainment in the sense that one may study and read about the Titanic, go to an exhibition, debate how far away the Californian was at the time of the sinking. It's a tragedy, and there is no real point to discussing whether it was going too fast, or the steel was brittle, or whether the Californian could have saved any passengers. But it's a topic that is interstitng - if you think of entertainment as a broadway show I suppose it is inapt, but if it's not for work or health or any other "real" purpose, I guess I lump it into "entertainment" or "recreation."

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

One, like I said before, if there was a life insurance beneficiary then you wouldn't want people to discover it was a suicide.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but many life insurance policies these days will pay out for a suicide after a period of time has passed from when the policy went into effect. It is usually a 2-3 year period.

However, these types of circumstances would probably get this stuck in court for years.

Satellite transmission data analyzed by U.S. investigators showed that the Malaysian Airline (MAS) System Bhd. jetliner’s most likely last-known position was in a zone about 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) west of Perth, Australia, said two people in the U.S. government who are familiar with the readings. Najib was told that is the most promising lead on locating the plane, one of the people said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-15/malaysia-sets-new-search-zone-as-flight-deliberately-diverted.html

Several more papers are reporting this. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just an FYI... We have 417 registered users from Malaysia in our membership. It would be interesting to know what ISP's are available in the two areas where the Pilot and Copilot lived. We could possibly identify a group of users that are in those areas...

I would love to know if either pilot was an AVSIM member.  It's a known fact in the community the captain was a PMDG T7 owner, I can't help but think he perused our forums at some point. 

Satellite transmission data analyzed by U.S. investigators showed that the Malaysian Airline (MAS) System Bhd. jetliner’s most likely last-known position was in a zone about 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) west of Perth, Australia, said two people in the U.S. government who are familiar with the readings. Najib was told that is the most promising lead on locating the plane, one of the people said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-15/malaysia-sets-new-search-zone-as-flight-deliberately-diverted.html

Several more papers are reporting this. 

If that's accurate then there's nothing I can see on Google Earth in that range and direction, 1800+miles to the North West of Perth is the Cocos Island Airport with a 8000ft runway (YPCC). It looks pretty remote, although there is a small village there. Flightaware shows no flights to or from. So not sure if it's active.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The fact that the investigators took laptops et al, just says they are exploring all avenues. And are probably looking for emails and other communique as an initial incentive not some .pln file.

Truth be told... I would look for an *.rte file.

Other than that... I agree with your post.

I too am amazed with the "Sophisticated Flight Simulator" angle the media is playing.  I reckon "Game" doesn't work as well... :Sigh: