Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

I would love to know if either pilot was an AVSIM member. 

I seriously hope that is not the case.  I fear greatly that despite the fact that the PIC was of course a professionally trained and experienced professional pilot that somehow flight simulation will come under fire as a result of this.  I feared that about 11 1/2 years ago as well, but in this case there is already a vivid flight simulation link to the PIC.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I would love to know if either pilot was an AVSIM member.  It's a known fact in the community the captain was a PMDG T7 owner, I can't help but think he perused our forums at some point. 

He posted on the motion sim german forum -- he wanted to motorize his setup as his post suggest. 

How about IVAO/VATSIM? Perhaps he has an account on their systems? I tried searching on the Vatsim network for Zaharie Ahmad Shah but came up with no results. 

Vatsim/IVAO tracks all flights, so if he filed a flight plan on the virtual network perhaps that could give a clue? 

Flying on for 5 hours would completely erase the flight voice recorder as they are on a 4 hour loop and increase the chances of the jet never being found to create what is becoming the greatest mystery in aviation history.

If that plane is never found people will spend the next 100 years speculating and searching for it.

I find it hideous in this age of technology when GB of data can be bought so cheaply that an advance jetliner can only record 4 hours of voice. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I find it hideous in this age of technology when GB of data can be bought so cheaply that an advance jetliner can only record 4 hours of voice. 

X2<squared>

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

He posted on the motion sim german forum -- he wanted to motorize his setup as his post suggest. 

How about IVAO/VATSIM? Perhaps he has an account on their systems? I tried searching on the Vatsim network for Zaharie Ahmad Shah but came up with no results. 

Vatsim/IVAO tracks all flights, so if he filed a flight plan on the virtual network perhaps that could give a clue? 

That's how Boeing keeps the T7 so affordable. ;-)

I seriously hope that is not the case.  I fear greatly that despite the fact that the PIC was of course a professionally trained and experienced professional pilot that somehow flight simulation will come under fire as a result of this.  I feared that about 11 1/2 years ago as well, but in this case there is already a vivid flight simulation link to the PIC.

I Agree. I hope our highly detailed products like the PMDG 777 are not going to be "dumbed down" in the future so the average person can't learn about aircraft systems.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I Agree. I hope our highly detailed products like the PMDG 777 are not going to be "dumbed down" in the future so the average person can't learn about aircraft systems.

Not sure it would ever go that far. If you wack someone across the arse with a golf club, do you ban golf ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Not sure it would ever go that far. If you wack someone across the arse with a golf club, do you ban golf ?

Seriously?

That does not cost even one life.  I am astounded at the comparison.  This is NOT Nancy Harding!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

LOL nope :lol:  but Boeing/Airbus might not feel comfortable with the knoweldge that there systems can be learned by anyone with a copy of FSX or some other entertainment based, off the shelf flight sim.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

If that was going to happen, it would have happened after 9-11.

The 9-11 hijackers apparently used the Level-D 767 to practice.

In Malaysia's case, the flight simulator in my view is irrelevant.  

Both pilots are typed and experienced on the real plane obviously.

So why on earth would they need FSX?

(If they did need FSX, then they should never have been allowed to fly a real plane in the first place...)

I fear greatly that despite the fact that the PIC was of course a professionally trained and experienced professional pilot that somehow flight simulation will come under fire as a result of this.

Yep... just as I fear optimizing my own air conditioner to save on my electric bill will come under fire.

Have said it before....  You do not need a home flight sim to learn how to operate an airliner.  As long as you have a credit card you can purchase sim time, if any of you want a 777 type rating you can pay for it, if any of you want to fly for an airline you can pay for it. 

Lastly, if you have no money you can download an FCOM of the internet.

Rob Prest

Seriously?

That does not cost even one life.  I am astounded at the comparison.  This is NOT Nancy Harding!

I was using that comparison as a reaction to our hobby, not the missing plane. . I think Bryan York's post above confirms this. 

There is no need to be so astounded, if you think for one minute that I don't feel for the poor souls on board the lost plane, you are very mistaken. What do you take me for ?

I do not recall giving you a serve either in regard to your post on the Aerosoft forum, that you deleted. Show me the same courtesy.

And who is Nancy Harding ? I don't watch American TV

LOL nope :lol:  but Boeing/Airbus might not feel comfortable with the knoweldge that there systems can be learned by anyone with a copy of FSX or some other entertainment based, off the shelf flight sim.

But they do Stephen. I have the NGX Captain set I purchased from PMDG, genuinely licensed from Boeing. I am not trying to be smart, just stating the knowledge is already out there. I even have a hard copy manual for the 767.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Have said it before....  You do not need a home flight sim to learn how to operate an airliner.  As long as you have a credit card you can purchase sim time, if any of you want a 777 type rating you can pay for it, if any of you want to fly for an airline you can pay for it. 

Lastly, if you have no money you can download an FCOM of the internet.

If you are an Airline Captain with 13000 hours of flight time, and type rated on the Boeing 777. You don't need any PMDG products to learn how to divert a 777 airliner off course.

And "Turning left" isn't some kind of complicated manoeuvre.

(Climbing to FL450 might be a bit more interesting though.)

Sorry, but if someone was having a "meltdown", would they really care whether evidence was discovered or not?

Think "insurance" Christopher. Smart guys playing the system try and work through the implications of the relevant small print .... The idiots don't.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I predict that from now on, whenever we meet new people and we start discussing hobbies, as soon as flight simulator is mentioned, we'll be greeted with terrorist/hijacker jokes.  Unless they happen to share the same hobby as us.