Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Currently, if you have a fast net connection, how long do pages at Avsim take to load for you?

Avsim Site Performance for Users w/ Fast Internet Service  

62 members have voted

1. 1. On average, how many seconds does it take for Avsim to load new pages for you? Users w/ faster connection only please...

• 1-4 seconds
    • 5-7 seconds
    • 8-10 seconds
    • 11-13 seconds
    • 14-16 seconds
    • 16-20 seconds
    • > 20 seconds

Trying to ascertain what typical user experience is on this as I'm seeing 11-13 seconds at this site pretty much only, and I have very fast internet by US standards, pinging avsim is only ~100ms.  Other sites for me are a 1-4 second affair.  The problem comes in that every single new page load is 11-13 seconds, and so becomes a deterrent.

Hopefully a new RAID array or something already planned hopefully will make this poll moot, but in case not please respond if you don't mind. 

Thanks!

Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

A few seconds for me, still slower then most of my usual sites - 30mb connection.

edit - just took 20 seconds to get back to the main forum page :/

Rob Prest

60MB cable as of the rising of the phoenix this week pages usually load in 3-7 seconds. Marginally slower than most forums, but then again AVSIM is a bustling place with posts being made almost constantly.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Voted for 11-13 seconds and i have a 100mbit fiber connection. No other pages take more than 2-3 seconds to open unless the server is really sluggish.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Voted for 11-13 seconds and i have a 100mbit fiber connection. No other pages take more than 2-3 seconds to open unless the server is really sluggish.

Wow.  What the heck is the common denominator here?  Yes my default is 2-3 seconds for most all sites too.  What possible explanations are there for 11-13 sec and 1-4 sec?  Perhaps in which browser is being used, some plug-ins that Avsim uses but doesn't demand perhaps?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel,

Wasn't it discussed that while the systems are currently up and operational, they are in the continued process of replacing all of the drives in the RAID array, and this may last until the end of next week? Performance will be degraded due to the RAID rebuilding on the new drives as they're put in one-by-one. This is expected from the time the entire site came back online until they're done replacing the drives showing issues.

I think it's fair to say that a survey may not be needed as a troubleshooting tool, as the performance issues we're all experiencing are expected for the time being.

Cheers,

-Greg

I don't see what "speed" has to do with it (that has more to do with volume of data, not speed)  Need to see what the latency in the interwebs is first.

Tracing route to purple.servers.avsim.net [205.252.89.43]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.20.200 
  2    33 ms    21 ms    45 ms  user-118bv91.cable.mindspring.com [66.133.253.33] 
  3     9 ms    12 ms    12 ms  tge17-7.milnhixd-cer02.hawaii.rr.com [24.25.231.9] 
  4    10 ms     9 ms    12 ms  tge0-5-0-1.milnhixd01r.hawaii.rr.com [72.129.45.98] 
  5    87 ms    59 ms    63 ms  agg31.lsancarc01r.socal.rr.com [72.129.45.0] 
  6    65 ms    67 ms    67 ms  107.14.19.32 
  7    65 ms    63 ms    67 ms  ae-0-0.cr0.lax30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.5] 
  8    63 ms    63 ms    63 ms  ae2.pr1.lax10.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.54] 
  9    64 ms    67 ms    83 ms  66.109.9.50 
 10   119 ms   120 ms   121 ms  purple.servers.avsim.net [205.252.89.43] 

Trace complete.

scott s.

Noel,

Wasn't it discussed that while the systems are currently up and operational, they are in the continued process of replacing all of the drives in the RAID array, and this may last until the end of next week? Performance will be degraded due to the RAID rebuilding on the new drives as they're put in one-by-one. This is expected from the time the entire site came back online until they're done replacing the drives showing issues.

I think it's fair to say that a survey may not be needed as a troubleshooting tool, as the performance issues we're all experiencing are expected for the time being.

Cheers,

-Greg

Yes, it was.  However, I think it will be interesting to see the pre & post results...and further, I'm not sure how definitive the comment was with regard to how much improvement might be expected.  And further still, some of this query is aimed at trying to ascertain why some folks experience load times very comparable to the rest of the web, while not so for others, respective of basic internet connection bandwidth.

Noel

3 to 5 seconds for forum to forum and about the same when I click on the forum or the thread.  I'm pleased with it now.....what a change.  Thank you for the hard work, Avsim Staff!

Stan

Wow.  What the heck is the common denominator here?  Yes my default is 2-3 seconds for most all sites too.  What possible explanations are there for 11-13 sec and 1-4 sec?  Perhaps in which browser is being used, some plug-ins that Avsim uses but doesn't demand perhaps?

No idea. For starters i'm in Europe while AVSIM is hosted in the States (i assume, didn't check), so that adds a little bit of lag. Even then, most sites i open from the US don't take this much time to open ever.

I only use FireFox because of its excellent plugins and don't find a single problem anywhere. The time it takes to open has to do with data transfers and not FF rendering the page.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

It's a lot faster for me than before the HDD/RAID issues that AVSIM experienced. The forums also seemed to be quicker when they just returned (there were around 1500 users online), than now, when theres only 600ish online.

The most important part for me  now is  that I don't get  the 503  error no more,  and it now quicker  than it was before

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I think it will be interesting to see the pre & post results...

Didn't think of that. Indeed, as Australia Pete mentions above, I haven't once seen a 503.... she's still slow, but not throwing errors.

Cheers,

-Greg

Just tried PPRUNE, 2001 members and 16,380 guests logged in,Assuming servers in UK. It took me 2 seconds to get to the Malaysia 370 thread. 7 seconds for AVSIM Home Page.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I feel I should explain my vote of 8 to 10 seconds as I could have easily chosen 11 to 13 seconds. In some ways, because I enjoy AVSIM so much, it would be acceptable to me to not use an ad blocker for this site. But when every page is throwing down 9 ads or so, then I have to turn it off to at least gain a little speed.

Yes, although from NZ (head straight south and turn left rather than right) I do expect a little slowness from the northern hemisphere and find that almost without exception, most other sites load within 2 to 3 seconds.

Is the speed to the site slow. I think not because Tapatalk for me is almost instantaneous, but there again, that doesn't link all over the place.

With regards to Pprune ........... yes 2 seconds for me. Whatever forum software they are using, it is very impressive .... but their Android software sucks big time. Oh well swings and roundabouts!