Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

I've got no problems with the FLIGHT engine, although I think some of you way overstate it's capabilities.

If it is Dovetail and they just reboot it and continue to release $20 planes and small geographic regions (like they do with train engines and routes right now) then no thanks.

If they open up the whole world, put ATC and AI back in, and enable weather, then let's talk.

What is needed is for a game like FarCry3  to incorporate flight simming so as you can drive round the countryside running over anything that moves and when you get sick of that you drive to the nearest airstrip and jump in a beat up plane and take off dodging all the rockets coming at you from the crazy pirates below. i.e. merging first person land based gaming with flight simming is the ultimate.

Just play GTA or Battlefield... I prefer not to have shooter mixed on the same plate with my civilian simulation. Besides you would be narrowing the scope of landscape down to an area not worth flying around.

Arma comes to mind. Take On Helicopters, too, which has the same engine essentially, with the addition of rotorlib.

You can also exit your plane in Flight, but there's not much to do outside and the ground textures are not quite up to the first-person experience. 

I'd wanted a helicopter also in Flight if only so I could recreate the Jurassic Park landing scene.

What is needed is for a game like FarCry3  to incorporate flight simming so as you can drive round the countryside running over anything that moves and when you get sick of that you drive to the nearest airstrip and jump in a beat up plane and take off dodging all the rockets coming at you from the crazy pirates below. i.e. merging first person land based gaming with flight simming is the ultimate.

The concept of being able to drive between airports, buildings, etc is a great concept. Far Cry 3 is also a great game. Though, the two don't quite mix very well. :P It would be cool if driving was an option in a future flight sim.

Brandon Filer

That's Orbx's vision pretty much. Maybe not drive to the airport, but get out and experience the airport environment.

Some people dismiss the idea as unnecessary in a simulator. All I know is that my walk-around before I take off in real life is pretty darn important.

Yes.. getting to the stage were there is an interchange from the pilots seat to the ground is the point... If that is Orbx vision then hopefully it will come to fruition... and yes, there is definately a need for a flight simming experience devoid of shooters but merging the two will keep on happening I'm sure in other games.

I am completely good with adding atmosphere to the simulator, just not gun and guts.  I actually like Flight's ability to get out and "walk around"; adds depth and immersion.  Taken to the next level, I think that could be a good tool to actually walk the plane and have random "failures" that can be caught during the walk.  To me, there is a way to make civilian flight interesting to the masses and to the hardcore, the developer just needs to recognize the challenge and be willing to walk the tight rope.

Glad to hear this positive news about a potential future for Flight. Looking forward to hearing more details.

IMHO Dovetail doesn't do a very good job of fixing bugs in Trainsim. They seem more interested in putting out a new item (for pay) then fixing old ones for no extra pay. Again IMHO, Dovetail may not be the best for Flight, then again probably better then nothing.

More planes and more variety of planes, with cockpits, to be installed on our current MS flight installations, and I'd already be very happy. If they added new sceneries and planes parked at airports, I think I would be set. Now if you'll excuse me I'll go shed a few tears over the screenshots of those unreleased planes for MS Flight.

Still no indication for that rumour.

Maybe just a hoax.

There is just one thing left that makes me hope. I had contact with all community managers of MSFlight from the beginning up to now.

But it`s the first time the actual CM doesn`t answer my questions, although he`s online. So anything may be going on in the underground?

Still no indication for that rumour.

Maybe just a hoax.

There is just one thing left that makes me hope. I had contact with all community managers of MSFlight from the beginning up to now.

But it`s the first time the actual CM doesn`t answer my questions, although he`s online. So anything may be going on in the underground?

Maybe it's because of the imminent shut down of GFWL on July 1st.

Maybe it's because of the imminent shut down of GFWL on July 1st.

Sorry if this has been already answered, but for those who, just like me, bought both MS FLIGHT and FSX Gold through GFWL, does that mean that, from July 1st on we will not be able to do web installs of those games?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Sorry if this has been already answered, but for those who, just like me, bought both MS FLIGHT and FSX Gold through GFWL, does that mean that, from July 1st on we will not be able to do web installs of those games?

I'm not sure. Are you running FSX from the marketplace? I have no idea whether that will shut down too, along with the Live service.

Excuse my apparent ignorance; who is GFWL? You guys throw acronyms around and most folks here don't know what you are talking about.

Also, to those that think this announcement was some cynical attempt to increase AVSIM's traffic and hits, where the hell have you been for the last year??? The last thing we want is more traffic. We can't handle what we have unless we throttle guest access (which we are doing)... Good grief. The next time I see something like that posted, I am going to take it as impugning our integrity and react accordingly.