Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

FSX Fiber Accelerator?

Set a frame rate in FSX itself first, then load the app and set a minimum rate in the fibre app. If you don't do that first it won't work.

Cheers, Andy.

Wow - what a mess of a thread!

Am I the only one that thinks everyone has totally missed the point of this utility (that I haven't tried yet, BTW) - namely that you can *DYNAMICALLY* change your FSX parameters during flight.

If all the accelerator did was apply well-known fsx.cfg tweak technology (ie. no "magic bullet") but simply allowed us to prevent that final OOM when arriving at a busy airport after a 2hr flight, then it'd be worth it.

All the stuff about "hiding stuff that you can't see" ... well - much of that is already controlled in FSX via fsx.cfg (LOD, SmallPartReject etc.) - but you need to exit FSX and restart each time.

I now have a "compromise" .cfg that generally looks good yet still copes with a PMDG 737, but I used to run two: one for fabulous screenshots and one for PMDG procedural "stuff". Even a utility that simply loaded a series of *handcrafted .cfg's of my own* dynamically, part-way through a flight would be worth spending some money on, IMHO.

That said, the software would need to do a *LOT* more than just that to justify the (relatively) high price tag. I'd need to run the demo judge that, but I'm not expecting any miracles :lol:.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I have unlimted set in my fsx settings

Someone didn't read the manual, you cannot set a limited frame rate in FSX otherwise this app will not work properly. Try it you will see.

Cheers, Andy.

Do not use the vsync limiter ( refresh rate limiter ) with this program !

The program controls the framerate and by using the vsync limiter you will interfear with what the program is trying to do.

Thanks for the tip, that's probably what my problem is with it, I'll give it another shot. Just to be clear though, ae you saying turn off VSYNC completely, or just don't use the 1/2 refresh option?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Try this in a thunderstorm at a heavy airport with it on then without. You might be surprised.

Do not use the vsync limiter ( refresh rate limiter ) with this program !

The program controls the framerate and by using the vsync limiter you will interfear with what the program is trying to do.

Thanks for that also (I was just about to install the demo!). I have my frames limited in my NV Inspector profile, so I'll have to remember to change that.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I tried this at UK2000 V3 Heathrow full storm in the A2A C172...i was getting around 7-8fps, activated the product and got perhaps 8-10fps.  Target FPS was 50

I'm not convinced it doesn't have a lower limit, at which point it becomes fairly unimpressive.

Ian R Tyldesley

Here is a reply of my first landing with the Fiber Accelerator enabled at FlightBeam's KIAD (stutters are caused by the FSX's replay engine):

The frames dropped below the 24fps threshold I had set, but I still was able to make the landing even though flying fully manual.

Does a variation in the frame rate matter if you aren't looking at it all the time? Turn off the frame rate display and just see if it feels smooth. Surely smoothness and flyability in all circumstances is the test, not achieving a constant number in the display?

On my system I usually run with the limiter set to unlimited, because any limit I set, even if it is ridiculously high, seems to make the achieved frame rates lower. Yes, with 'unlimited', if i bother to watch the fps I can see it changing all over the place, but turn it off and there's no sign of jerkiness, no stutters. It feels and looks smooth.

Pete

That's always been my policy Peter. I use the same settings and I reckon that the fps counter actually reduces fps.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Wow - what a mess of a thread!

Am I the only one that thinks everyone has totally missed the point of this utility (that I haven't tried yet, BTW) - namely that you can *DYNAMICALLY* change your FSX parameters during flight.

If all the accelerator did was apply well-known fsx.cfg tweak technology (ie. no "magic bullet") but simply allowed us to prevent that final OOM when arriving at a busy airport after a 2hr flight, then it'd be worth it.

All the stuff about "hiding stuff that you can't see" ... well - much of that is already controlled in FSX via fsx.cfg (LOD, SmallPartReject etc.) - but you need to exit FSX and restart each time.

I now have a "compromise" .cfg that generally looks good yet still copes with a PMDG 737, but I used to run two: one for fabulous screenshots and one for PMDG procedural "stuff". Even a utility that simply loaded a series of *handcrafted .cfg's of my own* dynamically, part-way through a flight would be worth spending some money on, IMHO.

That said, the software would need to do a *LOT* more than just that to justify the (relatively) high price tag. I'd need to run the demo judge that, but I'm not expecting any miracles :lol:.

Adam.

After reading your post, I believe you have missed the point on what this utility does, especially the parts about the fsx.cfg entries.

FSX Fixed FPS Setting

Just for the record; the fixed fps setting in FSX is not buggy as some like to state, as it does what it's supposed to do. DX is designed to use pre-rendered frames and preparing look ahead frames is what causes the apparent drop in fps with limited settings.

Try this; If we park on the runway and with Unlimited fps set, choose the outside view and pan, and keep panning. While panning, see how the sim speeds up and slows down as the frames take shorter or longer amounts of time to draw. Well this is what goes on as we manoeuvre around, banking and turning. Rain and snow looks bad too. Another major problem is the controls respond in time with the constantly altering fps. Using the fixed setting makes the controls feel asynchronous. Also some addons might communicate on a frame by frame basis and could be forced to respond at whatever fps is hammering away at the time, making unnecessary calculations too often. The FSX physics engine works more accurately with a constant fps.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve, didn't you actually mean to say "synchronous?" Having "unlimited" selected causes a lack of synchronicity between the controls and the sim; hence, "asynchronous..." ^_^  

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Disconnected from the sim rate - not being synchronised with a constantly changing unlimited. :rolleyes:

Try the panning exercise I emphasised above in unlimited mode and see how it feels unable to turn freely.

Anyway, if the app can smooth out the overall fps it's a winner.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have tried the demo at Squamish with everything turned on and the A2A Cherokee. This is the worst performing scenario that I have. On the runway looking north I get 8 or 9 fps. If I turn on the accelerator those numbers will increase by about 3 to 4 frames. In heavy scenarios I can see this helping. The simulator seemed smooth but I did notice that my scenery wasn't fully loading and roads became blurry. Even if I paused the simulator the scenery would not clear up. Once I turned off the accelerator the scenery would clear up. I followed the manual step by step. I have used all my demo time and I'm not convinced that this is worth $40 so I will wait and see what others experience before I will buy.  I have a I7 930 not OC and a 760 video card.    Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /