Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

How do they intend to "progressing it?"

We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

This ^^^ seems to put the nail into the "improvement coffin."

They do have access to the basic technology from which to leverage their own complete product, but not "improve FSX."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>granting us the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology

They didn't get into a discussion about the exactness of their relationship with MS, they have to get FSX up on Steam first, but seems like all good news for the time being.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I can't see how anyone getting on the FSX Steam Train at this point in time could be described as anything other than a sucker.

I can't see how anyone getting on the FSX Steam Train at this point in time could be described as anything other than a sucker.

How about all those that don't own it yet?

Based on what they did to the train sim game it will be DLC's and marketing marketing marketing.  Who knows.. wish them luck

How about all those that don't own it yet?

For those that don't own it yet... Why gor for a 6-7 year old re-release when there is P3D.

AS we all know, P3D is based on the professional version of FSX called ESP, & is on version 2.4 -- So we now have a decent sim that has been updated about 6-8 times from the original FSX (if you add on Acceleration, it could be version 2)

I reallly think that a re-release of FSX is a marketing tool by Microsoft to get rid of distribution (world-wide), stock holding, support etc & pass a discontinued product to Dovetail. I'm sure it is quite a cost saving for them as well!!)

So, why on earth would anyone want a re-release of a discontinued product when there is so much better & newer out there?

Yes!! some FSX stuff will not work with P3D. Same as what happened when we upgraded in the old days from FS9 to FSX, or even FS2002 to FS2004.

Anyhow, we all have choices..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

So, why on earth would anyone want a re-release of a discontinued product when there is so much better & newer out there?

Because there are a ton of young people who have never seen FSX and they sure as heck don't know about P3D. BTW, there are members of this very community that have no idea that P3D exists.

Not sure what you mean by "discontinued", but the last time I checked, MS is still selling FSX, Acceleration, and the activation servers are up and running.

For those that don't know...

Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX used to be an extremely popular PC game, released in 2006, Acceleration in 2007!,  but was discontinued in 2009. A free-to-play follow up of the series called Microsoft Flight, launched in 2012, but failed to provide a revival of fortunes.

& from wikipedia:....

Closure of the ACES Game Studio

On January 22, 2009, it was reported that the development team was heavily affected by Microsoft's ongoing job cuts, with indications that the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team had been laid off.[5][6] Microsoft confirmed the closure of the ACES studio on January 26, 2009, in a post on the official FSInsider Web site.

If the above does not mean discontinued, then I dunno.. The program is 8 years old!!

Members of the AVSIM community that do knot know about Prepar3D? Mmmmmm... maybe, It does have it's own forum, right under the Microsoft one..

I suppose that it could be a natural progression for the gamers on Dovetail to progress(?) to FSX. As you say, a whole new user base.

Maybe we should be promoting a new(ish) updated sim instead of a game released in 2006? FS9 (FS2004) is still very popular, as I'm sure you know, is a lot less computer hungry & is more accessable for beginners.

Anyway, let's see what comes out from Dovetail & Steam?

Not sure if going to FSX from FS9 was 'upgrading'. :D

lol, not really, If FS9 was the Windows XP of sims, XP was the Vista.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

but was discontinued in 2009.

ACES shutting down doesn't mean that FSX was discontinued. Microsoft are still selling it and the activation servers are still up.

What was affected by the ACES closure was FS11 and TS2.

FSX - ACES Gaming Studio developers disbanded in 2009. Im sure there must be stock on some dusty shelf somewhere. 

Support from M$? Nada, nothing.

What is FS11?

All gaming was affected by the closure. All the FS developers were employed by ACES.. Therefore no further developing, no updates, no interest, apart from freeware & payware developers.

Ok, no discontinued! Just no support, updates etc!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

FSX - ACES Gaming Studio developers disbanded in 2009. Im sure there must be stock on some dusty shelf somewhere. 

Support from Microsoft? Nada, nothing.

What is FS11?

All gaming was affected by the closure. All the FS developers were employed by ACES.. Therefore no further developing, no updates, no interest, apart from freeware & payware developers.

Ok, no discontinued! Just no support, updates etc!

FSX development and updates had stopped long before ACES were shut down. Even if they still existed today, the state of FSX would be exactly the same.

ChaoticBeauty.... Thank you! Phew.. Thought I was flogging a dead horse there for a while. Yup, They tried with FSX & it became the Vista of flight sims. Flight..... they could not give it away when they made it free.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

ChaoticBeauty.... Thank you! Phew.. Thought I was flogging a dead horse there for a while. Yup, They tried with FSX & it became the Vista of flight sims. Flight..... they could not give it away when they made it free.

Is anyone here aware of the fact that there are now tools available to update Flight using assets from FSX?

There is an entire development forum at FS Developer dedicated to just this effort. I was just admiring some screenshots this morning of New York City, Paris, the Bahamas and Interlaken:

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/some-development-pictures.431688/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Is anyone here aware of the fact that there are now tools available to update Flight using assets from FSX?

There is an entire development forum at FS Developer dedicated to just this effort. I was just admiring some screenshots this morning of New York City, Paris, the Bahamas and Interlaken:

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/some-development-pictures.431688/

Yeah, I've been keeping close track of it all. And good on you to reply. The prejudice against Flight seems so deeply ingrained and automatic sometimes that at this point I don't even try to correct inaccuracy's. I just sigh and move on.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5